Night - A Skin for XBMC - Printable Version
+- Kodi Community Forum (http://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Night (/forumdisplay.php?fid=130)
+----- Thread: Night - A Skin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=70116)
- hikaricore - 2010-04-28 14:57
I know list view is still a work in progress but currently it does not show seasons as watched and the strike-through method often doesn't cover the whole entry.
I'll post screenshots when I get home if you need. Keep up the good work.
- mcborzu - 2010-04-28 15:05
hikaricore Wrote:I know list view is still a work in progress but currently it does not show seasons as watched and the strike-through method often doesn't cover the whole entry.
What would be awesome is if I could dynamically count the characters in a label then I could make it match the image to the title, other than that I just picked a average length for the strikethrough...
- paul - 2010-04-28 17:10
mcborzu Wrote:1. Just added the clock could be some things I overlookedI re downloaded from your svn repo and double plot problem has gone now thanks, i Must have missed a file or something when i were updating manually my mistake.
But i'm pleased with the overall performance of the skin and as stated before it's great for new users as it's not over complictaed. I'm just starting work on replacing the mix of alaska and confluence icons as i truly hate those and they really don't fit in with the skin. no offence intended just my oppinion
A quick try... - xbs08 - 2010-04-28 22:55
Just had a quick try and i really like the overall skin.
Performance is truly good even on slow machines.
The access to submenus, in home screen, is very nice and original.
Poster view, showcase and wallview are my favorite views in Night.
Also 16x9 is very interesting but needs more polished.
The animations are well achived and the transitions too.
Only a few things i disliked, like the text in plots not being justified and no scroll in movie names and info like directors, genre, etc.
In the movie info dialog i noticed that there's no way of knowing where you are in the labels and when you need them to scroll it's a PITA.
Also found that in jukebox the selected item doesn't show the song name.
Other thing i dislike is the rss feed ovellaping some dialogs at the bottom of the screen.
The sounds are very good and changing when changing direction eg. wallview is a nice touch.
I cant say lite blue is my favorite color but works well in the skin.
I think there should be a default bg for when there's no fanart in showcase and 16x9 or else you end up with a empty box.
One thing i find especially annoying is when entering the movie library (didn't tested it on tv shows) the botton menu, where you select the view, etc, is visible for a split second but is there.
Speaking of the button menu i think that the background should appear first and then the text on top of it, but looks like it's actually the other way around.
Most of these glitches are easily fixed and i think Night is a great looking and easy to navigate skin that offers some original views and other details.
Really nice work mcborzu keep it up
- mcborzu - 2010-04-28 23:24
xbs08 Wrote:Also found that in jukebox the selected item doesn't show the song name.
Didnt notice some of those...
I'm using one of those builds where all textures show when entering movies so I cant notice that. Tv shows always flow fine. I'll 2x that
I've notice that behavior in the button menu forever just havent bothered yet.
- xbs08 - 2010-04-29 01:05
I have a screenshot of the jukebox "bug", if you wanna i can post it here, but i can't reproduce it anymore.
- mcborzu - 2010-04-29 01:47
xbs08 Wrote:I have a screenshot of the jukebox "bug", if you wanna i can post it here, but i can't reproduce it anymore.
thx I found it it was in files mode...It's little things like that, that I overlook especially since I rarely venture into files mode.
Valiant's Review - ValiantXI - 2010-04-29 02:51
First off this is best skin ever and thanks for letting me take it for a run (it's already my default skin in the media room), everything about it is great, and to me I see very little wrong with it in terms of functionalty. I love the blueish font that is used throughout the skin, really adds a nice touch to the skin and works well with your whole concept. Like I said before I'm not to technical when it comes to the actual skinning process so I might not have any clue to what I'm talking about but here it goes:
1) Are you set at the media icons that you have chosen? It was one of the first things that caught my eye, but I didn't know if they were place holders or anything, but I feel like those are used all the time and very basic and not really very elegant like the rest of your skin, I know that there is not a lot of choices out there, but I just feel like they could be a little more than the regular confluence/mediastream ones, maybe it's just the aspect ratio one that stands out the most to my eye but who knows. I feel like you have the right amount cause I don't like having like 20 things down at the bottom, but maybe ones that just have a little better flare that fits into your whole concept.
2)On file view, I feel like it would be perfect if either the poster wasn't there at all or if it was smaller like when you see in when your not in library mode if you know what I mean. Maybe you could put the media info in the bottom right corner and add a smaller version of the poster centered over it. I know this is more of a personal thing and doesn't really contribute much in the way you were probably looking for and I understand if you just want to throw that idea out the window, but I feel like it would work.
3)I like the showcase view, but I feel like it might be better if the fanart was the whole background instead of just a picture in the upper left hand corner, then maybe just move the name and length and stuff to where the picture was or something, kind of drawing a blank as to what to do with the extra space if the small fanart picture wasn't there. I feel like you would still be able to perfectly read the plot and all because of the natural darkness the skin brings to the backgrounds and all, but, now this again in just my opinion, would feel that view would be much better if the fanart was the background.
4) The rest of the views are perfect, I just feel like the ones I mentioned, showing a little more fanart and all, could really go a long way to bringing more people in to use the skin cause I know there are a lot of people out there who love fanart as much as me. Oh yeah the movie view 16x9 needs a lot of work or could just get scraped, not really to much going on with it anyway, and there are 10 times better views instead of that one.
5) The only error I really saw is that when you go to info for a movie, the MPAA part is slightly touching the poster of the movie, this might have been said before but I was just making sure.
6) Maybe in the views that have the movie name in the upper left will the length and year, you could put the rating underneath the year instead of beside it.
7) TV Shows are absolutely perfect!!!!!!
8) Music is also perfect in my opinion.
And thats really all I have to review on it, it works flawlessly, its fast and clean, found hardly in bugs other than the ones you already mention or have been mentioned, love the home screen, I mean its so close to perfect its hard to believe and I know my comments are somewhat personal preferences instead of constructive things, but I think those minor changes could go a long way to widening the audience that Night will receive. Again thanks for letting me try out your work.
- mcborzu - 2010-04-29 03:04
1. Yea default icons are last on my list...There not needed for functionality but definately needed for it to be a polished/finished skin
2. Movie file view - I was going for different not many skins have a full screen poster, if people want info there is always the other views...I might add an option later though.
3. Showcase has an option to show fanart..I know people love fanart so I threw in a option for that.
4. yea still debating 16x9 but since people have option to disable views I might just keep it...
5. I was going to revamp the movie/tv info. I have a better idea but its good for now. I cross that bridge later...
6. I see how it looks...
Thx for the writeup, as you see it's mostly done just touchup/error checking really
- ValiantXI - 2010-04-29 03:33
Yeah you did a hell of a job man...and sorry I didnt see that option in the showcase view, thanks for the tip.
- FoxRiver - 2010-04-29 10:53
Looks like its an amazing skin, I would love to take it for a test run.
- ValiantXI - 2010-04-29 14:09
Another thing I noticed, and I think it was in panel view, is that when you have a movie that is rated pg-13, the rating flag sort of crosses over into the poster there at the bottom left, not a big deal but just letting you know.
- TerranQ - 2010-04-30 00:29
So just ran through the skin quickly, noted some things, some of which I'm sure were mentioned already (icons for example, so won't mention them again):
1) RSS feed on the home page has no background which makes it a little difficult to read
2) recently added movie/tv shows frame overlaps RSS feed on the bottom
3) When closing info while watching a video, the elements disappear at different speeds-doesn't look as smooth as it should
4) No watched overlay on tv show views or season views
5) I'm not a big fan of the white background for the context menu, OSD or decoder view. I think a nice, smoky gray type colour would suit the skin better. I usually watch movies/TV with as little ambient light as possible, so the bright white is hard on the eyes. The font is kind of jarring as well (especially the episode titles in landscape view in TV section), not sure why though.
6) In jukebox view, if you hit info, the selections are just kind of hanging with no background element.
7) Doesn't display the title for TV shows that I have no logo for
8) A couple labels in the skin setting screen just show numbers-not sure what they're for-script addons?
9) I'd like to see a lyrics button on the music view, and a nice implementation of the lyrics view with the jukebox
This is all constructive criticism, as this is my new example of how a skin should be done. I could list all the points I find great about the skin, but it'd be a pretty long post I will list a couple though:
I LOVE that it shows the plot info when you hit info while watching a video. That's an option I was trying to figure out how to implement in confluence, but I couldn't figure out where to put it without it being too obtrusive. As well, the TV views are excellent, especially the landscape episode view. Very well designed.
I'll poke around some more. Loving pretty much everything so far though.
- hikaricore - 2010-04-30 01:46
TerranQ Wrote:7) Doesn't display the title for TV shows that I have no logo for
Viewtypes that rely on logos like Landscape are all or nothing. I believe this has been mentioned before a couple times.
Sounds like you need to get crackin on GIMP or Photoshop, failing that and being lazy you can request them in the logo thread..
- mcborzu - 2010-04-30 01:56
Know about alot of those issues
3. Was going to revamp the info's but it'll be after release but I'll touch that up
4. I didn't think that was a big deal but it's been asked before so might as well add it
6. Song info havent got to yet...
7. Yea, Landscape it's all or nothing, no way to have a label fallback in a list. The other views should have a label fallback
8. No sure on whether to add support for adding scripts yet due to merge. I'll probably just add support for OSD subtitle script and Home theater script since those are popular and wait till the merge for the rest
You venture in the forbidden SVN's, any idea how you think those would be handled. Are the newer builds getting more stable?
9. On my to do list