Kodi Community Forum
We need a name! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Kodi Remote for Android Official Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=129)
+---- Thread: We need a name! (/showthread.php?tid=72263)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Bram77 - 2010-04-21

Or XMC, Xbmc Media Control. Would be more accurate I think Smile

- Rad_ - 2010-04-22

Moxie (Moxie Official XBMC Interactive rEmote)

There's probably something better for the E, or maybe some clever misspelling that lends itself better to the acronym, but it's eluding me at the moment. And something else could probably be found for the M if the GNU recursive thing isn't in vogue....

- qortra - 2010-04-22

Are you open to suggestions that are not acronyms? How about "Ulterius"? It is a Latin word meaning "farther, more advanced, more remote". The English word "ulterior" originates from this word (specifically, the "farther" aspect of the word), as does the English word "ultimate" (from the Latin superlative form "ultimus").

The downside - it is currently used by an Australian company that specializes in VOIP (ulterius.net), and a graphics team ("Ulterius GFX") for which I cannot find a website.

The upside - the Android market currently has no hits when searching for "ulterius", so it would at least be market-unique.

- pre1014 - 2010-04-22

I think it should keep its name or be called XBMC remote for android. Not because it is a good name, but to make it easier for people to find when searching for it. There are plenty of other apps that I have searched for, but never found when i was actually looking for them because of the totally unrelated name they have. Then, later on, I stumble across them by accident and wish I had known about the app all along.

edit: to clarify i'm not only talking about the marketplace search but web searches as well.

- qortra - 2010-04-22

freezy Wrote:I was more thinking about a completely different name, with neither android, XBMC or remote in the name. But we'll see.
the_alien Wrote:There are already 5 apps that have XBMC and remote in there name -> http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=xbmc
We should stand out of that list in some way.
the_alien Wrote:Title, description and publisher are being searched.
pre1014: I totally understand what you're trying to say. However, I really don't think it will be as big a problem as you're claiming it will be. Also I get this feeling that at least a few of the developers would be unsatisfied with "XBMC remote for android". Frankly, I love the idea of a unique name myself.

The searchability problem is solved - as The_Alien said, we could make the description "XBMC remote for android" and still get listed in the market search results. The same goes for anywhere else on the web. The title tag for the website could be "%name% - XBMC remote for android", and we would get indexed with all those terms. This app is far and away best-of-breed, and it won't be long before the number of downloads and incoming links drives the search rank way up regardless of the name.

- capitalf - 2010-04-24

I personally think the name should stay XBMC Remote. If we were talking about universal remote for multiple platforms then yes you should use a unique name. In the context of a remote for XBMC, I think a unique name would be more confusing than helpful.

The sheer number of downloads (popularity) and the fact that the developer will say Team XBMC will make it stand out from any other "XBMC Remote" more than completely changing the name.

- freezy - 2010-04-25

That's not completely wrong...

- lordmozilla - 2010-05-12

I second what capitalf says.

A fancy name will not help in any way.

- Waffa - 2010-05-12

Imo it's not a remote but ....extender Big Grin

- b7ll - 2010-05-13

lordmozilla Wrote:I second what capitalf says.

A fancy name will not help in any way.

I agree too, but I think it should have 'Official' in the name so it stands out when searching the market.

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-05-13

Android not allowed. No problem.

Try this --> 4ndr0id XBMC Remote.

- the_alien - 2010-05-13

I'm thinking really hard how to respond to that without insulting.

NEVER

- freezy - 2010-05-13

Yeah we're all older than 16 so let's drop the leetspeak propositions. Wink

- Walldo - 2010-05-14

Hi folks, I registered just to post in this thread.

I've been using XBMC on my old xbox for years now but I decided to upgrade to the Revo box setup in my new apartment. I came across the XBMC remote for my Android phone on the site, so I went to the marketplace to download it.

There are 4 or 5 apps that come up for "XBMC" on the market. The best name for the app is Official XBMC Remote. It is direct and to the point, and leaves no ambiguity that it is the app you want/NEED.

Coming up with a fancy name for it is nice and all, but when in down Keep It Simple, Stupid.

- freezy - 2010-05-14

Hi, and welcome.

I'm tending to keep something like XBMC Remote as well. Adding the "Official" is a good idea, at least as title for Android market. Long-title "Official XBMC Remote for Android". Could you guys live with that?