Kodi Community Forum
Shuttle XS35 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Shuttle XS35 (/showthread.php?tid=74974)

- froggit - 2010-09-20

ezechiel1917 Wrote:What's exactly not working? Do you have black screen after resume or you can't resume with usb remote?

My only problem was black screen when resuming but only If I'd network driver installed.

I think i had both behaviours. After adding the lines to give the USB port power to wake up, I think it just doen't seem to repsond to the USB remote to wake up.

- ezechiel1917 - 2010-09-20

Do you have xbmc freak unstable beta2 version running? You need kernel 2.6.32-25-generic for working mce remote wakeup, with default dharma2/lucid kernel it won't work.

- stiggs - 2010-09-21

froggit Wrote:Yep, as peterbo says, there definitely is WLAN in the box.
See this post for getting and installing the 1.09 BIOS:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=608097&postcount=135

Then in the new BIOS there is a "wireless always on" option which you will probably want to set.

Oh cheers Peterbo and Froggit, excellent help. I was about to order a usb wireless dongle too Laugh
Works great now, thanks guys

- magnetik - 2010-09-21

Just curious guys - does anyone have idle temps for the XS35? I'm pretty keen to hopefully keep the XS35 running 24/7 - (NAS/Torrent box) - what's the 'resting' temps like?

- stiggs - 2010-09-21

Has anyone else noticed that the wireless seems pretty weak. After I moved the shuttle downstairs and away from the modem I could not even get a signal whereas my laptop (beside it) was running great. I moved the modem to the next room and the signal was good but it kept flicking between internet access and no internet access, to the point where a web page wouldnt open- my laptop had a stable connection the all the time

- heldchen - 2010-09-21

magnetik Wrote:Just curious guys - does anyone have idle temps for the XS35? I'm pretty keen to hopefully keep the XS35 running 24/7 - (NAS/Torrent box) - what's the 'resting' temps like?

cpu was 48°C and gfx was 53°C after watching a 2hr 1080p movie. the box has been runing for like 2 days now, seems like there's no heat problems at all, at least if it's standing freely. i wouldn't want to use a vesa mount tho as that would probably reduce a significant part of the airflow.

- heldchen - 2010-09-21

stiggs Wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the wireless seems pretty weak. After I moved the shuttle downstairs and away from the modem I could not even get a signal whereas my laptop (beside it) was running great. I moved the modem to the next room and the signal was good but it kept flicking between internet access and no internet access, to the point where a web page wouldnt open- my laptop had a stable connection the all the time

the wireless seems ok here - as long as i don't use the bluetooth dongle. that seems to interfere too much.

maybe your notebook is using a 5ghz connection? the xs35gt only has 2.4ghz wifi

- magnetik - 2010-09-21

heldchen Wrote:cpu was 48°C and gfx was 53°C after watching a 2hr 1080p movie. the box has been runing for like 2 days now, seems like there's no heat problems at all, at least if it's standing freely. i wouldn't want to use a vesa mount tho as that would probably reduce a significant part of the airflow.

Awesome - that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

If you feel the need to burn some time ( Smile ) - are you able to give me some temps for idle? But those 2hr/1080p temps are really low when you consider what the ION/ION2 platform puts out.

- ezechiel1917 - 2010-09-21

my temperatures are around
idle: 50°C cpu / 59°C vga
after few hours running : 55°C cpu / 64°C
ambient temperature: 25.5°C

my original fanless ION system was running up to 70°C-75°C without problem. During hot summer days (ambient temperature 30°C+) it could run around 80°C and some of 1080p movies started stuttering because of CPU/VGA throttling.

- magnetik - 2010-09-21

ezechiel1917 Wrote:my temperatures are around
idle: 50°C cpu / 59°C vga
after few hours running : 55°C cpu / 64°C
ambient temperature: 25.5°C

Thanks for that - I can live with that quite easily.. Smile

- froggit - 2010-09-21

ezechiel1917 Wrote:Do you have xbmc freak unstable beta2 version running? You need kernel 2.6.32-25-generic for working mce remote wakeup, with default dharma2/lucid kernel it won't work.

That explains it then. I'm using the XBMC dharma beta 2 live, which uses kernel 2.6.32-24 if I remember correctly.

Suspend/resume is not a critical feature for me, as it's easy just to shutdown after watching a movie, but when it's fixed in a later release, it will be nice to have.

Thanks a lot.

XS35GT: What do you think? - froggit - 2010-09-21

Well, after running XBMC Dharma beta 2 Live on this shiny new XS35GT using a wired network, I can say that it seems to run really well, so I am very happy with this device.

The machine seems to have enough power to give a fast, responsive user interface, and judging from the video content I have viewed on it so far, everything seems to work very well. I'm using an SSD instead of a 2.5" HDD, so this makes things a bit faster, no doubt, and certainly silent.

What do others think of it so far?

- ezechiel1917 - 2010-09-21

I'm quite happy too. Only minor issue remaining is flashing white LED in suspend mode. Smile

- froggit - 2010-09-21

ezechiel1917 Wrote:I'm quite happy too. Only minor issue remaining is flashing white LED in suspend mode. Smile

Yeah, and that's not too much of a show-stopper is it? Wink

- froggit - 2010-09-21

BTW, this OCZ Onyx SSD I'm using has TRIM support.
I'm wondering whether Ubuntu 2.6.32-24 that xbmc dharma beta live uses has TRIM support or not. Anyone know?

Somewhere I saw that 2.6.33 kernel is required to support TRIM, but my search so far was a bit inconclusive.