Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- Tcalp - 2010-12-17

Bandit_Kaine Wrote:RE: INSTALL GUIDE

I can't seem to get my aTV to boot off the USB stick that I've created..

I have restored the image via 'Device Mode' but it won't load into XBMC, it just keeps loading into the aTV ~~ is there something I need to do to get aTV to load off the USB ?

note: I am using pin87's image

*SOLVED* -- Make sure your flash drive has boot support *sigh* (so much time wasted) , different flash drive worked like a charm

- jm_maclaren - 2010-12-17

rmnelson Wrote:This is exactly what I would like to do. XBMC is wonderful, but the WAF is already high after 5 years with mythtv with little interest in learning a new system. I had my atv setup working fine with mythbuntu per the atv-bootloader googlecode pages, but a backend upgrade to .24 after a hard drive crash means the .21 frontend on the atv no longer works. My effort to upgrade the entire atv ended with a suboptimal result (read non-working). Now I'm back to a stock atv and a crystalbuntu stick.

So I would appreciate any hints you have for a noob about how to compile mythfrontend .24 on a Crystalbuntu stick.

So, I sort of have 0.24 fixes running after much aggravations. I have not got it to work well with the crystalhd card. Lot of stuttering and audio underruns despite little cpu usage. I have got XBMC working nicely with the crystalhd card but on my apple tv if I forget to add the swap space (~500M) then it wont run. I also had to tweak some of the audio settings too otherwise any 5.1 recording sounded like there was a loud machine gun firing over the audio track.

I am pretty sure the audio issues are related to bad settings in mythtv and that will need some more fiddling and googling to resolve. I tried to compile the trunk but have been unsuccessful as the version of python on 8.04 is too old. I am looking into that. It seesm like alsa audio is still evolving in mythtv 0.24.

As to the installation, I basically reinvented the wheel and Oliver has written a very good write up which is basically what I figured out independently. I used alsa 0.19 not 0.23 which is what is present on crystalbuntu, and updated both xbmc and compiled the crystal hd from Jarod Wilson's git

Oliver's write up can be found at:

http://groups.google.com/group/atv-bootloader/browse_thread/thread/3bd8d7e4b84d524e

All in all it was a lot of work and unless your stick is big may be difficult to do. I used the internal drive. I am happy to help you if you go that route.

James

- joncgde2 - 2010-12-18

x

- Bagheera - 2010-12-18

Hi,
is it possible to activate the USB - port with sams / pins image?
Also i would like install samba to share the media on the USB HDD connected to my appleTV. Is this possible?

and i read about a new Image on sams twitter page... posted in november. Is there a new release coming around xmas? Wink

- sar_scarab - 2010-12-18

Sam thanks for the guide and advice, Blaine thanks for your guide as well and all the other advice and tips from everyone. It took awhile to get this happen on my atv but is working better than it ever has.

I had some problems installing the image and making the partitions and several other items, however it is running.

When I run parted print all my partitions don't look right. Can someone post what the partitions should look like on a good running system?

here is what mine look like.

GNU Parted 1.8.8
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print all
Model: ATA FUJITSU MHW2040A (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 40.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 20.5kB 35.7MB 35.7MB hfs+ primary
2 35.7MB 3291MB 3255MB ext3 primary
3 3291MB 4010MB 719MB linux-swap primary

It seems some of the names and flags are not there and I would like to fix them without starting over.

Thanks

- simonp - 2010-12-19

kkillebrew Wrote:I was referring to the Nvidia drivers v260.19.21 along with XBMC RC2 and CrystalHD r174. I'm still running pin's original patchstick version of Ubuntu Hardy. Other than the HDMI sound issue, playback in all modes seems smoother and very stable this way. No lock-ups on refresh rate changes, no stuttering when syncing display to audio, etc. The EDID handshake works better too.

Killerbrew,

Did you need to do anything special to upgrade your nvidia drivers? It it as simple as:

aptitude install nvidia-glx-260

--Chris

- joncgde2 - 2010-12-19

Hello all

Just got this image running off a USB on my aTV, which I purchased specifically for getting this up and running - many thanks for everything Sam! Smile

As might be expected, I have a quick question and I hope I might be fortunate enough to have some brief guidance here:

1. Is enabling wireless possible with this image? With:
    a) a vanilla aTV without Crystal HD installed (i.e. built-in wireless); and
    b) With a linux-compatible USB wireless adaptor?

If I could just get a pointer as to where to look, or what to search for, I could figure out the rest myself - it's just that I don't even know where to begin!

Also, once I figure it out I'd be happy to post a write-up for other newbies to follow.

Thanks to anyone that can help Smile

resolution for non-HD TV - voggorb - 2010-12-19

Hi, I have just successfully installed crystalbuntu to my external USB hard drive thanks to everybody's help here.

The only thing I can't get to work is the resolution for my non-HD TV. I live in Sweden, so my tv is PAL, and the resolution should be 576p. This works without problems when running the ATV standard OS, setting the resolution to 576p in the settings section of Front Row.

But in Crystalbuntu XBMC, there are several options for resolution (1024x768, 800x600, 720x480, etc) but not 720x576! Sad

So now the text is not clear at all and very difficult to read. I have tried all resolutions available, and even though the highest one is best, it is much worse than the correct resolution 720x576p which I can't find!

Is there someway to maybe change the resolution by logging in to the ATV via ssh? or by changing some config file in XBMC?

thank you!!

- joncgde2 - 2010-12-19

Hi voggorb!

I can understand your pain! Big Grin

I think I might be able to point you in the right direction, though I might be wrong here. Fingers crossed what I'm telling you is correct!

When looking for how to configure component for crystalbuntu, I stumbled upon this post from/.ryd - if you look at the portion of his post that I have quoted, you can see a reference in his xorg.conf file that refers to available resolutions. Perhaps if you added 576 in there, it might become available in the options?

/.ryd Wrote:2) To get component video out, you need to update /etc/X11/xorg.conf with something along these lines (depending on TV):

Quote:Code:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
Option "TVOverScan" "0.80
DefaultDepth 24
Option "NoLogo" "True"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Maybe you can play around there and see if you can get it to work? Maybe searching other threads (even non-aTV threads) for xorg.conf and resolutions or something like that might show you what you need to add in.

Good luck! Smile

- illiac4 - 2010-12-19

frankiepankie Wrote:I am using my AppleTV without the internal HDD, only USB.

In this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=554556&postcount=431 i read that i have to edit the com.apple.boot.plist file if you removed the internal HDD, but how can i do that file?

I tried booting my PC off a Ubuntu 10.04 and editing it, but Ubuntu doesn't mounts the USB stick because it doesn't supports GPT partitions or something :S

I also have the AppleTV HDD available, so i can do it using SSH, but HOW Huh

I have used vmware to prepare the usb stick. Mounted the gparted iso (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php) and run it. mounted the USB pen, opened the gparted aplication to see on which drive it sees the usb pen (in my case was sdb2). Opened the terminal and executed following commands to edit the file.

Edit: com.apple.boot.plist (Using Gparted distro)
------------------------------
sudo su
cd
sudo umount /dev/sdb2
fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdb2
mkdir mnt
mount -t hfsplus -o rw /dev/sdb2 mnt
cd mnt
sudo nano com.apple.boot.plist
---------------------------------
'''edit to sda3 (if you have no internal HDD installed)''''

--------------------------------
cd
sudo umount /dev/sdb2
rm -rf mnt
-------------------------------

Not able to update crystalhd - schimanski - 2010-12-19

I'm running XBMC from USB. Today I tried to update XBMC to final Dharma. However most of the files are choppy. I assume it due to the not updated crystalhd driver. When I tried to updated it is stuck on this

Code:
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk crystalhd-r174
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/trunk': Could not resolve hostname `crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com': Temporary failure in name resolution (http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com)

Any help how to fix it or how to update it manually?
Thanks

- defiler - 2010-12-19

voggorb Wrote:The only thing I can't get to work is the resolution for my non-HD TV. I live in Sweden, so my tv is PAL, and the resolution should be 576p. This works without problems when running the ATV standard OS, setting the resolution to 576p in the settings section of Front Row.

Further to joncdge2's comment about the xorg.conf file, should PAL not be 576i rather than 576p? I don't know - maybe you have a a funky TV that does progressive SD (mine does, for example, but it's an 840x480 plasma).

I know that doesn't solve your immediate problem, but it may save you some head-bashing later on. I'm lazy - picked 720p and got my TV to downscale Smile

- defiler - 2010-12-19

I'll thrown this question out here because (a) somebody has to and (b) I'm rude. Sam, Pin? Any chance of being able to rattle off a finished, up-to-date USB image in time for people to use over Christmas?

If not, I'll sit on RC1 for a bit longer, but I'd appreciate a build that's cleaned up and stable (and plays VC1, which my installation doesn't).

Cheers!

- voggorb - 2010-12-19

joncgde2 Wrote:Hi voggorb!

I can understand your pain! Big Grin

I think I might be able to point you in the right direction, though I might be wrong here. Fingers crossed what I'm telling you is correct!

When looking for how to configure component for crystalbuntu, I stumbled upon this post from/.ryd - if you look at the portion of his post that I have quoted, you can see a reference in his xorg.conf file that refers to available resolutions. Perhaps if you added 576 in there, it might become available in the options?

Maybe you can play around there and see if you can get it to work? Maybe searching other threads (even non-aTV threads) for xorg.conf and resolutions or something like that might show you what you need to add in.

Good luck! Smile

defiler Wrote:Further to joncdge2's comment about the xorg.conf file, should PAL not be 576i rather than 576p? I don't know - maybe you have a a funky TV that does progressive SD (mine does, for example, but it's an 840x480 plasma).

I know that doesn't solve your immediate problem, but it may save you some head-bashing later on. I'm lazy - picked 720p and got my TV to downscale Smile

Hi, thanks for your suggesitionsSmile

I forgot to mention that my TV doesn't even have component inputs, so I've been using a composite hack to get color picture when plugging the yellow video cable into the green component out on the ATV. Strangely, this hack (can't remember exactly what files), seems to work on my crystalbuntu, because I still have color...

Are there any suggestions what settings I should use in the xorg.conf file for a PAL TV with 576p resolution, and composite input? thanks again, XBMC is great, and I love that there are so many helpful people hereBig Grin

- joncgde2 - 2010-12-19

voggorb: googling for xbmc, xorg.conf and composite turn up what should work! Smile

look at this: http://www.austech.info/88819-post38.html, particularly post #38:

Quote:Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "DPI" "100x100"
Option "UseEvents" "1"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "1"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
# Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
# Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-i"

# working HD480i HD480p
# not wokring HD720p HD576p

Option "TVOverScan" "0.45"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "Coolbits" "1"

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080" "1280x720" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

I guess you just need to input your resolutions to that quote, and hopefully you're good to go! Also, as you mentioned, you use the green socket of the aTV's component jacks to connect to your TV's composite input, as detailed here: http://www.austech.info/89028-post43.html ... also, note the commented lines (the lines with a # in front, meaning those lines are not parsed as actual code, but are there for end-user reference only)

Hopefully this solves your problem Smile