Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- JamesEkman - 2010-06-06

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@ james - sorry forgot partition was ext3, see http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resizing_ext3_partitions
Thx Sam, I did come across that site before posting and was hoping that you might know some trick way of turning off journaling without needing e2fsprogs Smile Anyway thats not possible but would you know a way of installing/accessing e2fsprogs on a atv-bootloader?
Thx

Users and Passwords - micro3 - 2010-06-06

Apart from

Usr:xbmc
pass:xbmc

are there any other users setup on this image? if so, what are the usr/pass?

awesome job BTW

- pin87a - 2010-06-06

To minimize heat when the ATV is not in use you should probably set the screensaver to 'black.' Otherwise XBMC is rendering the UI 24/7 which will result in increased heat.

With the screensaver on 'black' CPU usage drops to almost nothing and the ATV should run almost as cool as it does under Frontrow when not in use.

- evandena - 2010-06-06

Has anyone copied this to the internal pata drive? If so, what steps did you take to backup the OS X image and replace it with this one? Is dual booting possible? Or possibly leaving both partitions on the drive and editing the boot loader when switching between the two?

I've read this thread multiple times and googled around for a clear answer, but the few results were 3+ years old. I'm hoping its a little more automated now.

Crystalbuntu and mythtv - oezkan12 - 2010-06-06

i have an working mythtv backend (mythbuntu 8.04) tested with an other laptop successfully.there i can watch live tv and change between the channels ( from an live cd frontend ).
sql username, password is accepted here Smile

now i tried to watch live tv with :

myth://mythtv:jY9DkLwi@mythtv

where i put mythtv in the hosts table (/etc/hosts) with his ip.
i also put it in the advancedsettings.xml .
Both without success.

I even can not see the recorded films.
folder is empty.
when i click at a channel it start s to open and stops few seconds later Sad .

can anyone help?

here my xbmc.log:

http://pastebin.com/L4eKb3V8

- defiler - 2010-06-06

pin87a Wrote:To minimize heat when the ATV is not in use you should probably set the screensaver to 'black.' Otherwise XBMC is rendering the UI 24/7 which will result in increased heat.

With the screensaver on 'black' CPU usage drops to almost nothing and the ATV should run almost as cool as it does under Frontrow when not in use.

Yeah - done this already. As Sam says, the CPU autothrottle is already wound back to 600MHz, which is the minimum. I've been trying to enforce a manual throttle as well (ramp up the T-state), but when I try to echo > /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling, it gives me "Permission denied", even on sudo.

I can turn on laptop_mode, but that doesn't give fine control and even if I re-edit the config file it takes several seconds to reload and change state. Kind of hoping someone can point me at commands which will tweak this directly. If so, I can sling together a perl script to see if it's feasible to alter the state based on the load on the computer. Hey, I can hope, right? Smile

Of course, being a P3 it may work out that it takes so many cycles to change state that it causes playback problems (although I've checked and it *does* autothrottle between 600 and 1000MHz, and doesn't seem to be struggling). I may be spoiled by the Phenom's quick clock changes etc. That said, the 9950BE I used to have drew about 80W at idle!

Davilla suggested previously that it *may* be possible to run cooler on Linux than the normal ATV OS, because the power functions were all hidden/removed on the ATV. Nope, he didn't make any promises, which is only fair. And it may be that the ATV has shortcomings in that whole area and it just can't be done.

Personally, I'd rather that wee box wasn't pulling 23W all day even when it's doing nothing. The ATV OS has the standby function which makes a clear difference to the power drawn. If XBMC (or Ubuntu) can be persuaded to go that low when it's left idle then I'll be a happy camper.

Don't get me wrong. XBMC is (and always has been) excellent. XBMC for ATV is also excellent, but seems to suffer from being crammed into 256MB of RAM along with all the Frontrow stuff. XBMC for Linux running on the ATV gives fantastic playback. I don't want to belittle the efforts of anyone involved. Just looking for a way to lower the power draw. My current solution is an X10 AM-12 module in the wall socket so I can turn it off there Smile

- legato23 - 2010-06-06

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@legato23 - unfortunately, no not all USBs are the same. I won't resize it because then there is an issue of where to draw the line (I resize it to 3GB and someone will want 2GB and so on)

Sam, I got your point, and respect it. But I read more and more posts about the image not fitting on all kinds of usb sticks brand and models.
It seems the usb stick you're using has just a little more capacity than the common (cheap?) ones. Not resizing the image for just one person, I can understand, but in this case the majority is suffering from the same issue.

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@legato23 - You could probably write the disk image virtually to a folder (loopback mounting) and resize the partitions slightly so you can restore it.

Sam, thanks for your tips. I'd rather not spend any more money on a bigger usb stick. I tried the loopback mounting with all kind of tools, but being on a Windows OS, I couldn't get it working.
Right now I'm creating a Ubuntu virtual machine running in Citrix XenServer to give it another shot. Anyone here to help a little? (as I don't have any Ubuntu/linux experience or knowledge at all...)

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-06

defiler Wrote:Yeah - done this already. As Sam says, the CPU autothrottle is already wound back to 600MHz, which is the minimum. I've been trying to enforce a manual throttle as well (ramp up the T-state), but when I try to echo > /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling, it gives me "Permission denied", even on sudo.

I can turn on laptop_mode, but that doesn't give fine control and even if I re-edit the config file it takes several seconds to reload and change state. Kind of hoping someone can point me at commands which will tweak this directly. If so, I can sling together a perl script to see if it's feasible to alter the state based on the load on the computer. Hey, I can hope, right? Smile

Of course, being a P3 it may work out that it takes so many cycles to change state that it causes playback problems (although I've checked and it *does* autothrottle between 600 and 1000MHz, and doesn't seem to be struggling). I may be spoiled by the Phenom's quick clock changes etc. That said, the 9950BE I used to have drew about 80W at idle!

Davilla suggested previously that it *may* be possible to run cooler on Linux than the normal ATV OS, because the power functions were all hidden/removed on the ATV. Nope, he didn't make any promises, which is only fair. And it may be that the ATV has shortcomings in that whole area and it just can't be done.

Personally, I'd rather that wee box wasn't pulling 23W all day even when it's doing nothing. The ATV OS has the standby function which makes a clear difference to the power drawn. If XBMC (or Ubuntu) can be persuaded to go that low when it's left idle then I'll be a happy camper.

Don't get me wrong. XBMC is (and always has been) excellent. XBMC for ATV is also excellent, but seems to suffer from being crammed into 256MB of RAM along with all the Frontrow stuff. XBMC for Linux running on the ATV gives fantastic playback. I don't want to belittle the efforts of anyone involved. Just looking for a way to lower the power draw. My current solution is an X10 AM-12 module in the wall socket so I can turn it off there Smile

You say the standby makes a difference to the power draw. Does it? I think it's consuming 22~23W no matter what it's doing. Remember aTV cannot be switched off, and standby just cuts the display output off, it can still be synced to. You might be trying to get too much from aTV in regards to power and heat management.

- davilla - 2010-06-06

defiler Wrote:Yeah - done this already. As Sam says, the CPU autothrottle is already wound back to 600MHz, which is the minimum. I've been trying to enforce a manual throttle as well (ramp up the T-state), but when I try to echo > /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling, it gives me "Permission denied", even on sudo.

sudo -s

now you are root and can do the echo.

it's a quirk with how sudo works.

- davilla - 2010-06-06

legato23 Wrote:Sam, I got your point, and respect it. But I read more and more posts about the image not fitting on all kinds of usb sticks brand and models.
It seems the usb stick you're using has just a little more capacity than the common (cheap?) ones. Not resizing the image for just one person, I can understand, but in this case the majority is suffering from the same issue.

I run into the same issue when designing atv-usb-creator. Not all 256MB USB drives have the same capacity. The fix is to size to undersize the disk image. 4,000,000 bytes should be fine.

- davilla - 2010-06-06

oezkan12 Wrote:i have an working mythtv backend (mythbuntu 8.04) tested with an other laptop successfully.there i can watch live tv and change between the channels ( from an live cd frontend ).
sql username, password is accepted here Smile

now i tried to watch live tv with :

myth://mythtv:jY9DkLwi@mythtv

where i put mythtv in the hosts table (/etc/hosts) with his ip.
i also put it in the advancedsettings.xml .
Both without success.

I even can not see the recorded films.
folder is empty.
when i click at a channel it start s to open and stops few seconds later Sad .

can anyone help?

here my xbmc.log:

http://pastebin.com/L4eKb3V8

add your mythbackend's IP to /etc/hosts

- da-bitsch - 2010-06-06

legato23 Wrote:Sam, I got your point, and respect it. But I read

I just want to second this - Great job making the image!! I tried with 2 4GB drives now and they both suffered from the shortage of memory! I hope the image will be rescaled just a bit so everyone with a 4GB stick can bennefit from it Tongue

- bolle - 2010-06-06

legato23 Wrote:Sam, I got your point, and respect it. But I read more and more posts about the image not fitting on all kinds of usb sticks brand and models.

Yes please, would make my day! Nod

- defiler - 2010-06-06

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:You say the standby makes a difference to the power draw. Does it? I think it's consuming 22~23W no matter what it's doing. Remember aTV cannot be switched off, and standby just cuts the display output off, it can still be synced to. You might be trying to get too much from aTV in regards to power and heat management.

I know the ATV can't be switched off. Even on standby it retains some warmth, but it's significantly cooler than when it's "on". That's perhaps what I should have said - I have no evidence of the actual power consumption, only the fact that it's cooler and so logically will be drawing less.

@davilla

'sudo -s' - didn't think of that one. As I say, I'm coming from CentOS / Fedora (basically a RedHat layout), so I'd use 'su -' which doesn't work...

I'll get XBMC to idle and switch off the video, and then I'll throttle the CPU right back to T7. If I use T7 with XBMC displaying it cranks the autothrottle right up, so I'm not sure what the manual throttle is achieving. No matter - I'll try it anyway and pop up what I find.

Edit: It holds 600MHz at the T6 mode (25% speed), once the XBMC GUI is off. I'll leave it idle for a few hours and see how the temperature goes. If it seems (rather subjective, I know) cooler than it has been lately, I'll look at writing a Perl script to monitor the system load and see if I can get it to scale up and down automatically.

Of course, this means polling regularly (likely once a second) which might shove the load up artificially. It may also mean it's too slow to work during video playback. But I'd like to give it a shot.

- voip-ninja - 2010-06-06

Can anyone else comment about playback performance of uncompressed 1080P .mkv content. Someone earlier posted that it could not handle the 3-4MB/s data rate of Star Trek MKV without stuttering.

I'm really on the fence between this and an Acer Aspire Revo (or maybe Zotac Mag). I have about 150 BD rips which are all created with mkvmerge and are all original uncompressed video and audio.