Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- Stigy - 2010-07-27

Philmatic Wrote:Running the thumbdrive will keep your internal HD and AppleTV OS completely untouched.

Copying the image to your internal drive DOES make things a bit faster and negates the need for a th1umbdrive sticking out of the Apple TV like, well, you know, a sore thumb?

It's EXTREMELY recommended that you make a backup of the internal ATV OS drive if you plan on copying the Crystalbuntu image to it.

If you want to update your XBMC and CrystalHD drivers/library, it's recommended that you keep tabs on this thread. That way you'd know that CrystalHD support was disabled a few builds back, so it's not advisable to update XBMC at this time.

Thanks for the quick summary Phil.

So if CrystalHD support is disabled at the moment and I still haven't purchased the card, should I wait to see the fate of this or go ahead and buy it just make sure not to update XBMC past 31718 or earlier?

- Philmatic - 2010-07-27

Stigy Wrote:So if CrystalHD support is disabled at the moment and I still haven't purchased the card, should I wait to see the fate of this or go ahead and buy it just make sure not to update XBMC past 31718 or earlier?

I wouldn't wait, there's no need to.

CrystalHD support was disabled to resolve some building issues, it's coming back eventually, not sure when though. As long as you don't go PAST 31718, you'll be fine and everything will work as it should.

- Stigy - 2010-07-27

Philmatic Wrote:I wouldn't wait, there's no need to.

CrystalHD support was disabled to resolve some building issues, it's coming back eventually, not sure when though. As long as you don't go PAST 31718, you'll be fine and everything will work as it should.

Okay perfect, thanks again.

It's really awesome to have this kind of support on the forums. I am sure I will have tons of questions when I get back to my setup next month and get it all back up and running.

- diegoap - 2010-07-27

Philmatic Wrote:I wouldn't wait, there's no need to.

If I have my pendrive with last Pin87a image (28256-R3)... Is CrystalHD support disabled ? If it is disabled... how do I go back to a version that was enabled ? Eventually when it come back... how do I upgrade the right component to the last (working) version ? Smile

thx
diego

- Philmatic - 2010-07-27

diegoap Wrote:If I have my pendrive with last Pin87a image (28256-R3)... Is CrystalHD support disabled ? If it is disabled... how do I go back to a version that was enabled ? Eventually when it come back... how do I upgrade the right component to the last (working) version ? Smile

thx
diego

28256 < 31718 = you're fine, and when it comes back, http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571919&postcount=668

- diegoap - 2010-07-27

Philmatic Wrote:28256 < 31718 = you're fine, and when it comes back, http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571919&postcount=668

Oops... I need to go back to basic algebra.... shame on me :S

Thx

- diegoap - 2010-07-28

Hey... I just finish my "installation"... there is no need to write some kind of tutorial... just plug and play..... brilliant!!! Works great from my usb drive.

I had a single issue trying to playback videos.... the first 3 times I wanted to playback I had a blank screen (with "no audio" display on my reciever).... then I did the same but I waited almost 3 minutes... and it started.

Now... playback start ok when I press play on my remote control... I think first time there is some process running.... dunno.

I have a question.... how do I get the content from the internal drive ? shoud I have to mount the drive ? how should I do it ?

thanks
diego

- spacecraft - 2010-07-28

diegoap Wrote:I have a question.... how do I get the content from the internal drive ? shoud I have to mount the drive ? how should I do it ?

I haven't done this so you'll have to verify it works but I suspect that this should work. You have to install a package to read the HFS+ file system.

Open a terminal and type
Code:
sudo apt-get install hfsplus

As far as the mounting is concerned, the hfsplus doc is pretty good for that.
Here is a link to a relevant forum post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2221

- diegoap - 2010-07-28

I've detected a small issue on my "installation".

When I playback everything seems to work great... but when I stop the playback I'm stuck on a black screen.

I'm using HDMI output and the only way to get the menu back is waiting (maybe arround 3 minutes) or changing on my TV the HDMI source (ie from my dvr and then go back to the aTV)

I've been reading about problems on component but I don't think this is the same case.

any clues ?
if someone need a log or config please tell me (please tell me how to do that Tongue )

thanks
diego

---------------

edit: I rebooted my aTV and everything seems to work great, when I stop it go back to the menu.... but I don't think rebooting is the answer.... so... if it happens again I would be happy to
provide some kind of log if needed.

- pkolkkal - 2010-07-28

diegoap Wrote:I've detected a small issue on my "installation".

When I playback everything seems to work great... but when I stop the playback I'm stuck on a black screen.

I'm using HDMI output and the only way to get the menu back is waiting (maybe arround 3 minutes) or changing on my TV the HDMI source (ie from my dvr and then go back to the aTV)

I've been reading about problems on component but I don't think this is the same case.

You might want to try another HDMI cable to be sure. I was having similar problems, up to the point where I was about to throw my appleTV out the window.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-07-29

If you're using my image local drive is at /media/Pata

- Philmatic - 2010-07-29

Just and FYI, I used a USB to PATA adapter and DD for windows. Using the following command, I was able to to pop the hard drive back into the ATV and all is well. No thumbdrive, no double loading patchstick and the image then DD'ing it over.

Code:
dd --progress if=atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk6\Partition0 bs=4096

The Harddisk6 part will be dependent on your system configuration.

- Philmatic - 2010-07-29

Fyi, this is with the new 70015 card.

Restored to a clean version of pin87a's image, but I kept XBMC at r28256. XBMC wouldn't detect the card until I updated CrystalHD to 143. It now detects it but won't play, it just sits there, loads for a few seconds, the file name goes yellow and the counter at the bottom counts up as if it was playing.

xbmc.log:
Quote:http://pastebin.com/rNUkd0i9

Output of dmesg:
Quote:[ 81.053602] crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: Entering chd_dec_open
[ 81.053612] crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: Opening new user[0] handle
[ 81.053616] crystalhd_hw_open: setting up functions, device = Flea
[ 135.241536] Opening HW. hw:0xcfb52800, hw->adp:0xc18780c0
[ 135.493529] [crystalhd_flea_download_fw]: Sz:864276
[ 135.609376] crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: [crystalhd_flea_download_fw]: step 7. Done RetVal:400019

- davilla - 2010-07-29

The BCM70015 need to use the new CrystalHD API to talk to lib/driver. R28256 is using the old CrystalHD API. Results will be unpredictable.

There have been some CrystalHD driver/lib updates that have not made their way into my svn tree yet. One in particular is aimed at the BCM70015.

- Philmatic - 2010-07-30

Ok, I'll keep an eye out... are you considering including MPEG 4 Part 2 ASP support for XBMC and the BCM70015?