Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-04

Sad

that's why I chose the USB method. Plus I can test the OS X version on the side.

- JamesEkman - 2010-06-04

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@JamesEkman it depends what you want to resize. I suggest you resize the Linux partition, see atv-bootloader page for more info. You can resize your disk with parted.

Thank you Sam, yes it is the Linux partition I want to increase. I would like for it to use up the rest of the 160GB thats left minus whats need for swap.
I've had a pretty good look around the boot-loader site and am unable to find anything about increasing the size of Linux ext3 partitions.

I'll keep searching and if I find a way I'll post back, in the mean time if someone works out how to do it if you could let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
James

- scorneil - 2010-06-04

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@scorneil use this command:

Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

thanks will try that. U3 is definitely not present. bought this one off ebay, could be counterfeit and not a full 4GB.

if that doesn't work will try a different stick.

James, there's nothing to really search for. Just use parted to adjust partition size (google "Change partition size in parted" if you need instructions)

scorneil - not sure what your problem is, try a different stick, although I doubt there's a market for counterfeitting sandisk drives.

- scorneil - 2010-06-04

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:scorneil - not sure what your problem is, try a different stick, although I doubt there's a market for counterfeitting sandisk drives.

Beats me as well. I tried under Windows 7, Ubuntu and OSX and all ran out of space (Win7 wouldn't even start as it said upfront not enough space). I give up on this stick.

- reddeath - 2010-06-04

Since we are talking about changing partition sizes, how would you recommend to extend the size of the partition on the stick? I used 8 GB stick, and I can see that it is only set to use 4 GB for the partition in the default image. Can I extend the available size somehow?

@scorneil - definately sure you uninstalled u3 the right way? You didn't just delete the U3 executables and folders but actually used the proper uninstall application by Sandisk which gets rid of it all? Also, tried restoring 512 byte bootsector under Windows, that'll make the disk fresh for you.

@redeath boot into Linux from a different stick and fire up telnetd. Then insert your USB - you can't resize in Linux because the partition would be in use.

Next, fire up parted

parted /dev/sdb
resize 2 X Y

You are resizing Linux partition (second drive), so you need to resize it from X size to Y size. To get the max size of disk use "print" command. All you need to do to work out end is add up total space used and subtract from total disk size

- JDizzy - 2010-06-04

Just downloaded the image file and also the file to transfer it to my USB.
Headed out to buy a larger USB stick right now!

After setting up stick:
1. Do I unplug ATV, insert stick and plug back in? (or?)

2. Where will XBMC be installed so I can change skin? (can I use Filezilla to access?)

3. Since OSx is still on ATV drive, can I reference directories I have on the internal ATV? (such as fanart, backgrounds, etc.)

4. All my media files are on shares. This USB will be the only one plugged into the ATV. Will this matter, and will it work "right out of the box"?

5. When I unplug USB and restart ATV, will it then boot back into original OSx installation?

(sorry for all the ??, just getting my head around this)....

- scorneil - 2010-06-04

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@scorneil - definately sure you uninstalled u3 the right way? You didn't just delete the U3 executables and folders but actually used the proper uninstall application by Sandisk which gets rid of it all? Also, tried restoring 512 byte bootsector under Windows, that'll make the disk fresh for you.

yes, removed it properly. and i did try the 512 boot sector restore, and had the same issue.

- JamesEkman - 2010-06-04

My apologies Sam I still can't seem to resize sda2 I get "Error: File system has an incompatible feature enabled." These are the commands I'm running from a boot-stick telnet session.
Code:
parted -s /dev/sda rm 3
parted -s /dev/sda mkpartfs primary linux-swap 310915195s  312319663s
# parted -s /dev/sda unit s print
Model: ATA WDC WD1600BEVE-4 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 312581808s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start       End         Size      File system  Name     Flags  
1      40s         69671s      69632s    hfs+         primary  atvrecv
2      69672s      6427049s    6357378s  ext3         primary        
3      310915195s  312319663s  1404469s  linux-swap

parted -s /dev/sda resize 2 69672s 310915194s
Error: File system has an incompatible feature enabled.

- matpol - 2010-06-04

@JDizzy - as I understand it you are basically running ubuntu from a usb stick - this behaves as a normal drive so all you changes are kept. You should be able to reference all the files on the drive. I think will probably need to mount the drive in ubuntu to access them. When you unplug the usb the atv will boot as normal.

It's like xbmclive but easier to setup - although xbcmlive isn't that difficult.

@JDizzy

1. yes
2. for skins see .xbmc under home folder
3. yes - /media/Pata - automounted for you at boot my good man Smile
4. no - will work OOB with CrystalHD but configure your stuff like video settings, audio settings (normal XBMC configuration)
5. yes

@scorneil - try a new disk, sounds like it's messed up.

@ james - sorry forgot partition was ext3, see http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resizing_ext3_partitions

- reddeath - 2010-06-04

Sam,
Could you advise about remote configuration? I have Harmony 700 and on OSX ATV I had more buttons working, e.g. the arrow down button would show a menu on the top of the screen during media playback, where I can adjust many vital options. Now under Linux ATV only standard Apple remote buttons work and I cannot access that menu again. There is no setting under System options to choose remote type as it is in XBMC on OSX ATV.
Do I need to set some other device in Harmony remote to have all the buttons working?

- basht - 2010-06-04

I am guessing the image is setup to work with HDMI by default since my unit shows nothing at bootup (I'm using Component output). Is this correct and if so is there a way to change this setting remotely? If it's too much hassle I can disconnect the unit and take it to my office to connect it to hdmi lcd...

Also definitely I will have more questions with regards to the atv-bootloader process since it's procedure for windows machines is not very clear.

Thanks Smile

@reddeath - only using remotes that emulate Apple IR remote. However it should be pretty simple. LIRC is already on there for the aTV remote, so just set up additional buttons by mapping it out. (have a search, I didn't look too far and I found a few threads namely http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67350)

@basht - yes, boot up (can't see screen obviously), ssh in and run:
"sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Edit it as recommended on atv-bootloader's page: atvdisplay which shows how to do component.

Then reboot with

sudo reboot

As for problems with atv-bootloader? What problems, you don't need to do anything to atv-bootloader, just restore image to disk and go.