Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-10-26

I just set "Adjust refresh rate to match video" and I get perfectly smooth 23.976Hz playback for 24p content. There is no need to edit the EDID or xorg.conf unless you encounter issues

- simonp - 2010-10-26

Thank you very much!

- rolandb5 - 2010-10-26

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:I just set "Adjust refresh rate to match video" and I get perfectly smooth 23.976Hz playback for 24p content. There is no need to edit the EDID or xorg.conf unless you encounter issues

Did you do this check on visual reference? My tv has 24p capabilities and does show a 1080P24 with other sources. While playing with my ATv (linux) setup it only shows 1080P.

Are there any other verification possibilities?

- Philmatic - 2010-10-27

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:I just set "Adjust refresh rate to match video" and I get perfectly smooth 23.976Hz playback for 24p content. There is no need to edit the EDID or xorg.conf unless you encounter issues

Really? I thought that option on the ATV did nothing?

- davilla - 2010-10-27

Philmatic Wrote:Really? I thought that option on the ATV did nothing?

atv(osx) does not have xorg.conf, atv(linux) does.

- Philmatic - 2010-10-27

Ok, now I gotta rush home to test this! Smile

- dishoftheday - 2010-10-27

First of all, many thanks for this image file. I thinks it's really great that someone offers this to all atv users Smile

Second... i'm kind of stuck in the middle with my atv. I installed my crystalHD card this month and I couldn't really enjoy it yet. I used it with XBMC on original atv os first. It's really smooth and easy streaming HD from my network. I was very satisfied until I got the endless buffering problem which more people seem to have with this XBMC nightly build (10.0 beta3 r34731).

So I found this and thought it would be a relief! Until now, not really. I succeeded in adding my network sources (different ways.. ftp, smb, zeroconf, all works). I can browse them and see all the files. It goes wrong when opening files. Music files take about a minute EACH to open. Gathering music files information from the web takes about 40 seconds per file. Opening a HD movie... I don't know, I quit waiting after 25-30 minutes.

Easy to say "well you just have a crappy network, my friend!". Well I don't know how to test the speed atv is getting. But when I connect my macbook to the same cable the atv is connected with, my transfer speed is ~75MB/s aka transferring a 10gb hd movie takes up a little more than 2 minutes which is probably limited my the speed of my macbook hdd. The source is a 2TB Time Capsule and during the transfer there are no significant drops in speed.

Playing from a directly connected usb drive works fine. But I just want it to work well with my network. Can anyone give me a suggestion?

Thanks a lot Nod

[ATV/Crystalbuntu] System hang on refresh rate change - simonp - 2010-10-28

It appears I've run into an issue with my new linux/ATV setup. I'm able to hang the ATV when switching refresh rates. The symptom first appeared when I was running the GUI at 60hz and played content at 23.97hz. When the ATV tried to change the TV refresh rate the TV went black, my ssh connection to the ATV hung, and there was no response to remote inputs. I pulled the power cable to reboot the ATV. I was able to reproduce this many times.

While trying to narrow down the issue I discovered I could also reproduce it by just switching XBMC's refresh rate in the settings GUI. Often I can change the refresh rate one time successfully, but the next time I get the hung system black screen behavior.

I also discovered I can recover from this hung state by power cycling the TV. This brings me right back into XBMC and the ssh connection resumes. At this point I'm assuming there is an issue between the TV, nvidia hardware, and nvidia driver handshake.

Of course just disabling Auto Adjust Refresh Rate avoids the problem.

I've been looking into xorg.conf modes, etc and at this point I don't think the problem lies there, nor do I think it's an issue with XBMC. I can successfully change resolutions at least once. I've not yet captured an XBMC.log and the xorg.log and dmesg outputs don't show anything unusual. I suspect this is an nvidia hardware/driver and tv interaction bug.

Just wondering if anyone else has had or has solved this issue and thought it was worth documenting if someone else runs into it. Googling around hasn't turned up anything constructive so far. My next steps are to:

Try a different HDMI cable
See if I can update the TVs firmware (TV is a Samsung ln52B750)
I'd hate to update the nvidia driver as I understand I would loose the HDMI audio option, although I'm currently using optical, but it may be my next step.

(160G ATV, Dharma b3, 70015crystalHD, driver R156)

- davilla - 2010-10-28

known and fixed issue with Dharma b3.

- davilla - 2010-10-28

xbmc.log

LG 1080P TV only syncs w/XBMC at 720p - advise please - kkillebrew - 2010-10-28

Hi All. Absolutely loving the ATV/Linux/Crystalhd XBMC. But, when I plug my ATV/XBMC into my toshiba LCD flatscreen via HDMI everything works great at 1920x1080 at 60hz. When I plug the same box into my LG 42" "1080p Full HD" (as it says on the front) via HDMI XBMC sets it at 720 and doesn't give the option for 1920x1080. I can mod the xorg.conf to allow component out and get the XBMC option to run the LG at 1920x1080 at 50hz. The menus are jittery but the playback is fine.

I know the LG does 1080p just fine on the cable box and with my blue ray player so what is up? I would like to get the atv/xbmc/crystalhd box working on my LG with HDMI and 1920x1080 as it does on my Toshiba flatscreen.

Currently running Dharma 10.0 beta2 and crystalhd rev 166. I've looked around quite a bit on the forum but can't track this one down. Can someone lead me in the right direction? Thanks!

- davilla - 2010-10-28

xbmc.log

- eickmeyer - 2010-10-28

deltazulu Wrote:This seems to be an issue with the image. You can either update xbmc to a new build or edit your ~/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml file manually. I'd recommend updating xbmc.

Here is the method I used to update from pin87a's R3 minimized atv-linux image:

Of course you first mush SSH into your atv-linux running pin87a's R3 image (don't run this on stock atv).
Code:
#update XBMC to latest nightly for the first time, do this:
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu hardy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu hardy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CEC06767

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-qt3
sudo apt-get install xbmc
#if above 'install xbmc' doesn't complete, use "-f"
sudo apt-get install -f

#update XBMC going forward will only require this: if there is an update, it will ask if you want to install it
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

#Update CrystalHD Drivers to recommended r156 (as of 8/27)
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk crystalhd-r156
cd crystalhd-r156/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd

#Reboot Your box
reboot

This was very useful thank you. However, since the update to Dharma Beta 3, XBMC is showing strange behaviour:

1: I can still mount SMB sources but most of the time it no longer saves the media type (scraper). When I edit the source, the previously chosen media type is no longer selected. This used to work. The same happens if I connect via UPNP. Occasionally, it does save the media type and begins scraping. After having successfully scraped a small percentage of the available media, scraping stops. A scan for new content does not identify more content.

2: Some settings are no longer saved. For example XBMC reverts to the default skin on power down and reboot.

Does anybody recognize the root cause of these symptoms? Thanks.

- Leander - 2010-10-28

I believe I am experiencing the same problem. However, if I wait long enough (between 2 and 3 minutes), the system will become responsive again, but then the screen will just display a snow pattern.
I have also assumed that this is a problem between the TV and the Nvidia driver/hardware. I'm running Dharma b3 on "Crystalbuntu" on a 160GB ATV, with a 70012 CrystalHD (driver revision 171) with a Panasonic TX-P42G20E television.

@davilla: do you mean that this should already be fixed in Dharma b3? Or that it was fixed after b3 and the fix will be in b4?

- pkolkkal - 2010-10-28

Leander Wrote:I believe I am experiencing the same problem. However, if I wait long enough (between 2 and 3 minutes), the system will become responsive again, but then the screen will just display a snow pattern.
I have also assumed that this is a problem between the TV and the Nvidia driver/hardware. I'm running Dharma b3 on "Crystalbuntu" on a 160GB ATV, with a 70012 CrystalHD (driver revision 171) with a Panasonic TX-P42G20E television.

@davilla: do you mean that this should already be fixed in Dharma b3? Or that it was fixed after b3 and the fix will be in b4?

I have a Pana TX-P42G10E and had the exact same behaviour. Updated Nvidia drivers to a newer version and the problem goes away, simple as that. I don't know if this has since been fixed in dharma but I don't need hdmi audio so...