Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-05

scorneil Wrote:I got it working using an 8GB stick.

the dd command should work via OSX, and yes you would use /dev/disk1

a couple caveats for OSX:
- unmount the partitions in disk utility or you will get a device is busy error
- in disk utility check the device information to make sure disk1 is correct (right click on the disk, then select information, check disk identifier)

Hmmm, interesting, but at least encouraging. Yeah, I had done both those caveats, and I can get the disk image to write to the thumbdrive(s) okay. My issue is is the same what you were initially getting. The message:
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
check root=bootarg cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb2 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I've tried a 4gb Kingston DataTraveler 2.0, another noname 4gb Kingston and a 6gb WD Passport Pocket (just for grins). All with the same above result.

Which 8gb drive did you get? Maybe I'll swing out in the morning and snag one of those.

- KevinSartori - 2010-06-05

xbmc old school Wrote:A Acer revo is way more expensive than a 8 Gb usb.

Yeah, obviously. But if you'd actually read my entire post, you'd have understood that my only point is that there's no point throwing away good money after bad.

- scorneil - 2010-06-05

tuckbodi Wrote:Hmmm, interesting, but at least encouraging. Yeah, I had done both those caveats, and I can get the disk image to write to the thumbdrive(s) okay. My issue is is the same what you were initially getting. The message:
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
check root=bootarg cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb2 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I've tried a 4gb Kingston DataTraveler 2.0, another noname 4gb Kingston and a 6gb WD Passport Pocket (just for grins). All with the same above result.

Which 8gb drive did you get? Maybe I'll swing out in the morning and snag one of those.

make sure you check the output of the dd command - if you get any device is full errors it didn't complete successfully.

I went with a Sandisk 8GB Ultra Backup only because it was 50% off. I then uninstalled the U3 junk.

- pkolkkal - 2010-06-05

I have total of seven USB sticks at home. The oldest (128MB) are too small even for atv-bootloader. One Imation 4GB stick needs a special Windows formatter app to make Mac/Linux to even see them, of course that stick ultimately failed with the "No space left on device" error..

My point is that it actually may be a bit difficult to find a usb stick that works here.

What I did was that I used a 120 gig enclosed USB 2.0 drive that I had lying around (drive itself is from a MacBookPro actually Smile I moved the Crystalbuntu image on that drive using dd. No problems since I had plenty of space, plus I think drives like this rarely use any special tricks like U3 or other junk.

Of course you don't want to be booting of that honking 2.5" drive all the time, so a copy of partitions to the internal drive is needed. But this is a pretty fail-proof and easy way to try out Crystalbuntu on you atv. Not a long-term solution though.

- bolle - 2010-06-05

Yep, getting a right USB stick can be a pain...
BTW, Hi new poster here, been following this project for a while. Kudos to all the people involved!

I bought a 8 Gb Sandisk disk for the earlier image that was floating around, but that stick in the end turned out not to be bootable (another user also had the same problem)

Got an 4 Gb Imation Atom Flash Drive USB but proved to be a bit too small for Sam's image.

So probably off to the shops to get the 8 Gb this afternoon... almost spend as much on USB sticks as the Apple TV it self... Wink
But my new 60 inch plasma has been delivered this morning, so the urge to get some real 1080p content going is unbearable...

- defiler - 2010-06-05

Quick question, folks. My first round of tests last night were a roaring success. This morning I tried my Blu-Ray rip of "Moon", and (just like the ATV/OSX XBMC) the video corrupts every couple of seconds.

So which forum do I report the bug in? AppleTV, XBMC Live, XBMC for Linux, XBMC on CrystalHD?

Edit: Ignore that - someone else has reported the same problem in the CrystalHD thread.

With that in mind, is there a thread showing the preferred method of updating XBMC on Ubuntu?

(Still thrilled - I was on the brink of eBaying the ATV, but this has really given me pause. I'll need to install it on hard disc, and then I can decide whether to stick it out or to go Nvidia ION. Looking a lot mor promising than it did yesterday morning though!)

- reddeath - 2010-06-05

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:@reddeath - only using remotes that emulate Apple IR remote. However it should be pretty simple. LIRC is already on there for the aTV remote, so just set up additional buttons by mapping it out. (have a search, I didn't look too far and I found a few threads namely http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67350)

Sam or Davilla,
I have done part 1 and beginning of part 2 from the link that you suggested. I finished at the point where it says that remote should now work with standard (XBOX remote) buttons. However, the remote does not work at all. Strangely, the other remote (device in Harmony) that I had previously configured for ATV OSX still works with basic ATV buttons. So, it is like the configurations that I did based on instructions in the guide did not have any effect at all.
Could you please give me some pointers here?

In general I would like to say that this Linux image is a new beginning for all ATV users. It works much better than OSX. As this is a "first release" of course there are some minor things that need to be ironed out. I really hope to see subsequent builds of this image, especially for the new XBMC version. Please keep up the good work you are doing now!

Update: as for the remote issue, now I suspect that following part 1 and part 2 in the guide is not correct if you want to setup Harmony remote with more buttons than standard ATV remote. It might be that we need to map additional buttons to already configured apple remote mapping. The question is how to do that? The steps presented in part 3 do not work with this Linux image. There is no lirc0 device and mode2 does not accept the -r option.

Is it at all possible to have more buttons working in XBMC if we use Harmony remote to control ATV with this linux image? By more buttons I mean as compared to the standard ATV remote used in XBMC on ATV OSX.

Update 2: I guess I reported problems which were not there about the remote. In fact I was missing one button on Linux that works on ATV OSX, but it is actually working on Linux (long press on Select button during playback shows the menu I was looking for). Sorry for that. I got used to Harmony mode in OSX XBMC and did not know other ways.

Another minor issue that I found is when using Reboot option in XBMC it just shuts down XBMC and does not reboot ATV. Fortunately, the Shut down option does shut down Linux, so no major issue there.

- pkolkkal - 2010-06-05

Can somebody check what is CPU max powerstate output on your Crystalbuntu setup? I still have the "normal" C8 which might be just the reason that the ssh connection freezes from time to time... I've tried setting modprobe options and recreating initrd, and I'm out of ideas.

grep max_cstate /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power
max_cstate: C8

- reddeath - 2010-06-05

I also have C8. But I am not sure what that means exactly for the proper operation of ATV with Linux and XBMC on it.

- defiler - 2010-06-05

I've got C8 too. I'm suspecting you're thinking the same as me - "this runs really hot even at idle" and "is there a way of putting it into a low-power mode that I can resume quickly?"

Anyone got an answer? I never use Ubuntu - mostly CentOS on servers, so I never deal with power-management typically Undecided

- Narf23 - 2010-06-05

I have having a problem starting Crystalbuntu - the image restored perfectly on my 8Gb flash drive. Connected to ATV and switched on several minutes later nothing has happened except the flash drive's LED did flash indicating data transfer for a while

Since I am using HDMI I tried connecting the Component (and removing HDMI) then rebooted. This time I can see Ubuntu text based boot process working then the screen goes blank.

Do you have suggestions that I can try?

- defiler - 2010-06-05

Narf - I used the instructions here as a guide to get component running beyond the text screens. Worked first time. Don't know about the HDMI though - I'm too old-fashioned for that new-fangled malarkey...

resolution hdmi - Zeus@72 - 2010-06-05

Hello
is the first time I write in this forum, even if I follow you for a while.
I have a problem with the resolution in hdmi, XBMC tells me that I can get up to 720p even if the TV can get to 1080p. I saw that there is a thread open on this, but if I try to edit xconfig using Cyberduck (ssh) will not let me.
Maybe because I am not entered as admin? Huh

we can have the admin username and password? Big Grin

Thanks

- Angrenost - 2010-06-05

Firtst of all a huge Thanks to Sam for this great job...and then sorry but let's start to talk about problems experienced in the installation.
In am on Mac and had some troubles to restore the image using dd (discovered later that is necessary to unmount the stick BEFORE, otherwise Mac see the drive busy),so i tried to use Windows virtualized and it worked like a charme! My Sandisk Cruzer 4GB was a bit too small for the sam's .img so had to use another one 8GB but finally worked.

After the reboot i tested a couple of 1080p and had no audio over HDMI,changed something in audio settings and then started troubles in network: using smb takes too much (sometimes 10 minutes!) to start a movie.
In my Frontrow side i have NitoTV with usb and AFP automount setting to see my Time Capsule storage container,but even using smb the response wasn't so long.
I have to say that for Mac users AFP is much much better than smb (faster,never had a crash,possiblity to see ATV in finder),but i understood that is impossible to implement AFP client in this img right?
This Linux is in another partition but is possible to see Volumes mounted in the standard frontrow partition?
If this is impossible as well,i have to solve smb issue.Thanks again for help and support.

- poofyhairguy - 2010-06-05

Angrenost Wrote:If this is impossible as well,i have to solve smb issue.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20100212135148675