Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- haifischjunge - 2010-11-17

the airtunes speakers where really neat. however perhaps it would work with the airfoil speakers for linux app?

Im running the airfoil speakers touch version on 2 ipod touch (bathroom and office) as 1) airfoil speaker 2) xbmc streamer (for music)

Same Error - mad2030 - 2010-11-17

generikb Wrote:Ok sam, I get to this part:

Code:
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary HFS 40s 69671s

and it gives me this error:

Error: /dev/sda: unrecognized disk label

is this because I monkeyed around with the hard drive before?

Hello,
i stuck at the same Point. I have Zerod out my internal 40 Gb HDD. I don`t want to go back to MacOS.
Full Copy of the working Image to the internal HDD is in Progress at this Moment.

Error:

3999+1 records in
3999+1 records out
4194303488 bytes (4.2 GB) copied, 359.145 s, 11.7 MB/s
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2
/dev/sda2: No such file or directory
Can't stat /dev/sda2
Can't stat /dev/sda2: No such file or directory

Some help would be nice.

BTW: Good Work Big Grin

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-17

generikb Wrote:Ok sam, I get to this part:

Code:
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary HFS 40s 69671s

and it gives me this error:

Error: /dev/sda: unrecognized disk label

is this because I monkeyed around with the hard drive before?

Seems parted doesn't recognise /dev/sda. What is the output of sudo fdisk -l (I know it doesn't support GPT but will show partitions)

mad2030 Wrote:Hello,
i stuck at the same Point. I have Zerod out my internal 40 Gb HDD. I don`t want to go back to MacOS.
Full Copy of the working Image to the internal HDD is in Progress at this Moment.

Error:

3999+1 records in
3999+1 records out
4194303488 bytes (4.2 GB) copied, 359.145 s, 11.7 MB/s
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2
/dev/sda2: No such file or directory
Can't stat /dev/sda2
Can't stat /dev/sda2: No such file or directory

Some help would be nice.

BTW: Good Work Big Grin

Have you run mkpart first with patched parted? It sounds like /dev/sda2 isn't in existence, which suggests you haven't created all the partitons.

Copy whole Image - mad2030 - 2010-11-17

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Seems parted doesn't recognise /dev/sda. What is the output of sudo fdisk -l (I know it doesn't support GPT but will show partitions)

Have you run mkpart first with patched parted? It sounds like /dev/sda2 isn't in existence, which suggests you haven't created all the partitons.

Hello,

i have found out, that i have to reboot the ATV after:

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=4096

and then use sudo to:

sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2

sudo mkdir tmp

sudo mount /dev/sda2 tmp

sudo nano tmp/com.apple.Boot.plist

Change
/dev/sdbX

to
/dev/sdaX

That worked for me. But the working Partition is way to small. Only 0,93 GB free. How can i fix this without erasing the whole Drive?
Is a update to dharma b2 possible or only to the newest build?
I`ve tried beta4 with the new Crystal Driver, but judder is always there. The basic config (Pin Image) runs smooth, but i would like to upgrade to a newer XBMC, because for the Pluginmanager. I don`t want to brick the Install. Have reverted back to the original Image first.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 26 204819+ ee EFI GPT
/dev/sda2 * 26 29 25500 af Unknown
/dev/sda3 29 333 2441406+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 333 395 500000+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

TIA

MAD2030

Have you run sudo resize2fs -f /dev/sda2 (might not be sda2 you want to resize -- depends on your partitioning). Then reboot, and run df -h.

- Riderzzz - 2010-11-17

thebookfreak58 Wrote:n00b question.

Can I run this image from a USB drive while keeping the HDD "clean"? I'd like to be able to keep the aTV stuff there so I can rent movies from iTunes, while at the same time taking advantage of the benefits of running XBMC from Linux over running it from the aTV (OSX)

If it is possible to boot the image, will the settings and mods be saved to the USB? And how can I go about doing this.
Thanks!

Just put the image on a 4 GB (or bigger) usb-stick. thats it, no need for anything else Smile

Look at first post in here.

- Riderzzz - 2010-11-17

mbetter Wrote:Maybe this is a stupid question but I just installed my CHD. I was running pin's image without the CHD card for a week, is there anything I need to do to enable it?

in settings-->>video-->>playback there should be an option ënable crystalHD or allow CrystalHD" or smth similar.

- mbetter - 2010-11-17

Riderzzz Wrote:in settings-->>video-->>playback there should be an option ënable crystalHD or allow CrystalHD" or smth similar.

I figured this out late last night; the option was missing. xbmc.log says (paraphrased): "Crystal HD not found." There was no mention of the Crystal HD in dmesg.

lspci | grep Broadcom returned:

Quote:02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 1612

Not knowing where to go from there, I built and installed the Crystal HD drivers (r174). This got the CrystalHD option to show up under render method. However, when I attempted to play a video, I got only sound and no video, followed by an (eventual) crash.

The main post here says that the last stable drivers were r26. I couldn't, however, figure out how to get rid of the newest ones to install the old ones. By then it was getting pretty late so I wiped and reflashed my drive.

I plan on trying again tonight with a fresh image and the r26 drivers. Any advice?

btw, I have a BMC70015.

- xeonicxpression - 2010-11-17

mrhyde69 Wrote:I installed pin's image to my hdd and updated to the latest beta.....how can I revert back to beta 2?

I would like to know the answer to this too. Having said that, I don't think there is an easy way. I read about people who had beta 2 installed could go back because the ppa beta 2 links would be in their cache. Beta 4 just sucks for playback. I really wish I could go back. My XBMC install had freaked out on me and I couldn't even ssh in anymore so I had to wipe and start fresh. I really hope the next beta has the playback issues fixed. It would be nice to get one sooner rather than later. Maybe someone with a working beta 2 drive could just image theirs and upload it. That would be pretty nice! Even if they leave all of their sources and settings, we could just wipe them all out.

- xeonicxpression - 2010-11-17

Riderzzz Wrote:Just put the image on a 4 GB (or bigger) usb-stick. thats it, no need for anything else Smile

Look at first post in here.

People don't really have a lot of luck with 4GB drives. You are much better off just sticking with an 8GB drive.

mbetter Wrote:I figured this out late last night; the option was missing. xbmc.log says (paraphrased): "Crystal HD not found." There was no mention of the Crystal HD in dmesg.

lspci | grep Broadcom returned:

Not knowing where to go from there, I built and installed the Crystal HD drivers (r174). This got the CrystalHD option to show up under render method. However, when I attempted to play a video, I got only sound and no video, followed by an (eventual) crash.

The main post here says that the last stable drivers were r26. I couldn't, however, figure out how to get rid of the newest ones to install the old ones. By then it was getting pretty late so I wiped and reflashed my drive.

I plan on trying again tonight with a fresh image and the r26 drivers. Any advice?

btw, I have a BMC70015.

That BCM70015 wasn't compliant with r26 drivers when I made the image. So you do need the new drivers, look through this thread for how to do that. dmesg will never say "Crystal HD" it will say Broadcom. Until you have a compatible driver, XBMC will not see it.

xeonicxpression Wrote:I would like to know the answer to this too. Having said that, I don't think there is an easy way. I read about people who had beta 2 installed could go back because the ppa beta 2 links would be in their cache. Beta 4 just sucks for playback. I really wish I could go back. My XBMC install had freaked out on me and I couldn't even ssh in anymore so I had to wipe and start fresh. I really hope the next beta has the playback issues fixed. It would be nice to get one sooner rather than later. Maybe someone with a working beta 2 drive could just image theirs and upload it. That would be pretty nice! Even if they leave all of their sources and settings, we could just wipe them all out.

Sorry - no way to go to Beta 2 - unless you compiled the source from SVN

xeonicxpression Wrote:People don't really have a lot of luck with 4GB drives. You are much better off just sticking with an 8GB drive.

I had no problem personally, but I will make the future releases 3.5GB or so and then it will fit comfortably onto any 4gb USB

- Riderzzz - 2010-11-17

xeonicxpression Wrote:People don't really have a lot of luck with 4GB drives. You are much better off just sticking with an 8GB drive.

I personally would say too 8 gb when you still need to buy one. (I expanded the ext3 drive because of drive running full issues.)

But for the image, having 4 4 GB sticks laying around here and they all work (and its quick to test if the image will fit on it or not)

USB Drive mounting on /dev/sda ??? Help. - kkillebrew - 2010-11-17

I have a strange issue. I have an ATV that is is running pins image on the internal HD. I did this via the DD comand by booting from an 8GB USB with pin's image and an expanded ext3 partition that holds a copy of the 4gb .img file. After transferring the image to the internal HD I used parted 1.8.8 to resize the internal 40GB drive. My goal was to install pin's image on the internal HD without having to physically remove the drive from the ATV.

It all seemed to work, except now, when booting with USB, the ATV is mounting root on /dev/sda3 instead of /dev/sdb3. PARTED 1.8.8 thinks /dev/sda3 is the internal 40GB drive, DF -h indicates USB drive size. If you write a file out to anything under root it gets written to the USB. If you boot without a USB then /dev/sda3 is the internal 40GB.

I'm wondering if my method of image transfer to the internal HD is causing this issue. I want to copy a new image to the internal HD and it looks like I'll have to remove it to do so since I cannot get access to an unmounted /dev/sda3 when booting from USB.

I have another ATV running linux XBMC off the internal, and it correctly uses /dev/sdb3 when booting from USB. The only difference I can think of is that I took that drive out and prepared it on my Debian box.

Or, could the ATV be defective? I just got it off ebay.

- mbetter - 2010-11-17

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:That BCM70015 wasn't compliant with r26 drivers when I made the image. So you do need the new drivers, look through this thread for how to do that. dmesg will never say "Crystal HD" it will say Broadcom. Until you have a compatible driver, XBMC will not see it.

Thanks!

I didn't have much luck with the newest (r174), is there a consensus on which version of the drivers works the best?

- kkillebrew - 2010-11-17

[

I had no problem personally, but I will make the future releases 3.5GB or so and then it will fit comfortably onto any 4gb USB[/quote]

Hi Sam - I've found a way to get most any 4GB USB to work that I have not seen posted here. Using USBit under windows just click the "truncate oversized images in device mode..." option and restore the image. With both yours and pin's image it will end up truncating the swap file only and you can use parted 1.8.8 to correct the pointers, delete and then recreate the swap file to a size that fits. I've seen no performance difference with this method vs. using an 8GB stick and the original swap size.