Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

- Jeroen - 2011-09-13

Jimmeh Wrote:Fair enough, I had no idea you could add content to the library that isn't either a movie or a tv show.
Well, you can't really. Only movies, tvshows and musicvideos are content types supported by the video library. What I meant is that people would still want to get to those sources that can't be scanned into the library. Not having a videos entry would mean having to go into movies or tvshows and then going up a few levels to get to those other sources, which would be really cumbersome. So strictly those sources aren't in the library, but as library and files mode have been merged in pre-Eden they are accessible through the main videos node.

Quote:In other skins I've used in the past, I've always disabled the videos menu entry and used the movie/tv combo. In this case I would probably prefer to disable the movies/tv options in favour of the videos menu for the sake of having everything in one place, and ideally roll the video addons into the list.

For example:

Videos -> Movies
New Movies
TV Shows
New Episodes
YouTube
Apple Movie Trailers

No idea if it's possible to do that with addons.

Then we would basically be back to the previous incarnation of the homescreen Wink

Heart of the matter is that for every 10 users there's probably 10 different preferences Smile

The ideal situation would be having the homescreen as basically one big favourites list where the user can handpick every item to be shown. XBMC itself would have to provide a mechanism for that though as the way skins currently handle these things requires a lot of code. The XBMC skinning engine is very flexible, but there's always a limit. For instance yesterday I added an option to not uses submenus. That one option basically doubled the amount of code for the main menu. The devs have hinted that XBMC will be going in that direction but I don't know the timeframe for it.

- Jimmeh - 2011-09-13

I understand the problems you are faced with, you can't please everyone obviously. I'm not intending to be critical, rather trying to make suggestions based on my personal experiences.

I wasn't expecting for you to go out that second and do my bidding, but I find that opening a discussion when I'm stuck with something to be very helpful Smile

Jeroen Wrote:Then we would basically be back to the previous incarnation of the homescreen Wink

Heart of the matter is that for every 10 users there's probably 10 different preferences Smile

Absolutely, and I think with the library/files being merged, the previous videos menu makes more sense, because the tv and movies headings are potentially duplicated on the main menu and on the videos menu.

Like you say, everyone would be catered for if you could build your own list so hopefully that's one for the future. In the meantime I think a good compromise is adding the option to hide the entries you do provide so users can hide the sections they don't require. Seems a few other skins are choosing that route too.

It sounds simple to make a toggle switch or to comment out the items that aren't required, but I'm sure it probably has greater repercussions on the structure etc. So again I don't expect you to get to it right now and do exactly what I'm suggesting, but perhaps it's some food for thought Smile

Just to prove my love to you, here's a picture of my new TV freshly mounted and proudly displaying refocus Smile

- dgsgc - 2011-09-14

Jimmeh Wrote:I understand the problems you are faced with, you can't please everyone obviously. I'm not intending to be critical, rather trying to make suggestions based on my personal experiences.

I wasn't expecting for you to go out that second and do my bidding, but I find that opening a discussion when I'm stuck with something to be very helpful Smile

Absolutely, and I think with the library/files being merged, the previous videos menu makes more sense, because the tv and movies headings are potentially duplicated on the main menu and on the videos menu.

Like you say, everyone would be catered for if you could build your own list so hopefully that's one for the future. In the meantime I think a good compromise is adding the option to hide the entries you do provide so users can hide the sections they don't require. Seems a few other skins are choosing that route too.

It sounds simple to make a toggle switch or to comment out the items that aren't required, but I'm sure it probably has greater repercussions on the structure etc. So again I don't expect you to get to it right now and do exactly what I'm suggesting, but perhaps it's some food for thought Smile

Just to prove my love to you, here's a picture of my new TV freshly mounted and proudly displaying refocus Smile

What resolution are you running? Everything looks so big on the screen... Very nice though...

- spencers - 2011-09-14

dgsgc Wrote:What resolution are you running? Everything looks so big on the screen... Very nice though...

He probably has that brand new Samsung with the tiny, tiny bezel. Been eyeing one of those myself!

- tungmeister - 2011-09-14

Oh how I wish I had the money to splurge on one of those!

- Jeroen - 2011-09-14

Jimmeh Wrote:I understand the problems you are faced with, you can't please everyone obviously. I'm not intending to be critical, rather trying to make suggestions based on my personal experiences.

Sure, and that's fine Smile I just rather give some explanation as to why I choose to do something or not, rather than just saying no Wink I'll see if I can make the video menu optional. It would mean however not having direct access to custom entries there though.

And the skin sure looks good on that awesome screen, congrats Smile Nice job on hiding the cables too

- Jimmeh - 2011-09-14

Jeroen Wrote:Sure, and that's fine Smile I just rather give some explanation as to why I choose to do something or not, rather than just saying no Wink I'll see if I can make the video menu optional. It would mean however not having direct access to custom entries there though.

I appreciate the explanation. If anything make the TV and Movies entries optional so we can restore the previous layout with only videos. That's how I would have it at least.

Jeroen Wrote:And the skin sure looks good on that awesome screen, congrats Smile Nice job on hiding the cables too

The awesome is mostly your work, so you should be proud. I'm pretty happy with the mounting though Smile

spencers Wrote:He probably has that brand new Samsung with the tiny, tiny bezel. Been eyeing one of those myself!

Yep, but I've turned the SAMSUNG LED on the front off 'cause it was distracting when watching.

dgsgc Wrote:What resolution are you running? Everything looks so big on the screen... Very nice though...

1920x1080 standard res, but as spencers says, the ultra thin bezel makes the world of difference, and the colours are beautiful.

- dannycorker - 2011-09-14

Jeroen Wrote:A lot of people have video content that is neither movie or tv show content.

How else would you get to those? There is a "Files" node in the library for a reason. Also, it gives video add-ons a place. Having a custom entry to for instance Youtube should be in the video menu. It would make no sense whatsoever to put this under movies or tv shows.

So I don't think it's redundant at all.

It's under add-ons. Or at least it should be unless I forgot Tongue

Using newest git, all I have under add-ons is 'get add-ons', 'available updates' and 'enabled add-ons', nothing about programs :S

EDIT: Just me being stupid, can find config options etc under program add ons. Next question, any way I could add a program (PseudoTV) to the homescreen?

- Keeper - 2011-09-14

dannycorker Wrote:any way I could add a program (PseudoTV) to the homescreen?

+ 1 Billion.

- deanmv - 2011-09-15

Quote:EDIT: Just me being stupid, can find config options etc under program add ons. Next question, any way I could add a program (PseudoTV) to the homescreen?

If you are using the alternate home screen (this might even work if you aren't) but I put Tvcatchup on the home screen by adding this code:

Code:
<control type="button" id="500">
    <label>Live TV</label>
    <onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary, plugin://plugin.video.tvcatchup/)</onclick>
    <include>button_Home-item</include>
</control>

So you could change it by doing something like

Code:
<control type="button" id="500">
    <label>PseudoTV</label>
    <onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary, plugin://*whatever the plugin is called*/)</onclick>
    <include>button_Home-item</include>
</control>

Just make sure that the id= number is less than the last one on the menu as if not it will stop scrolling before it has reached the bottom item in the home menu. It isn't perfect and I'm sure Jeroen might be able to give you something cleaner but it worked for me!

- Jeroen - 2011-09-15

Jimmeh Wrote:I appreciate the explanation. If anything make the TV and Movies entries optional so we can restore the previous layout with only videos.
That's really hard to make optional without an unreasonable amount of code. So making the video menu optional really is the best I can do here.

dannycorker Wrote:Next question, any way I could add a program (PseudoTV) to the homescreen?
You could add it to the video submenu, see skin settings. Or add it to the favourites, which will take the same amount of clicks really. Adding it to the main menu isn't going to happen though.

Which actually brings me to the next point. Basically right now you can add any type of add-on to the video submenu, even if it's not actually a video add-on. I don't think there's a way to keep it video only.

The music submenu is already quite full if you don't disable anything. For the sake of consistency however I would like to have a place to put music (and picture and program) add-ons shortcuts as well. Having these in the video menu doesn't make sense of course.

So I'm thinking about using the add-ons menu to put the user defined add-on shortcuts, regardless of the media type. The current entries in that menu could stay as well.

- Eoghlear - 2011-09-15

Installed a git version of the skin today in order to see where it is going.
Got a few issues with the menu's (needs getting used to and setting up i guess) when i enable the "don't use subemenus" setting.

But what bothers me the most is when in Movies section using the slide preference i now get info about the resolution and audio as well. I really liked it when there was nothing but the poster, a studio logo and the plot/runtime/genre text. It made it look so clean without the resolution/sound info.

Will updating the git version more often to continue follow the development.
Keep up the good work, overall like where this is heading!

- Jeroen - 2011-09-15

the resolution info has always been there, only the audio flag was added quite some time ago.

- Galefury - 2011-09-16

I see that BigList view isn't available anymore for episodes (git version). Is it intentional or just a bug ?
Another question: is it possible to have the focus on, let's say tvshows, at startup ? (git version, of course) Thanks.

- Jeroen - 2011-09-16

Galefury Wrote:I see that BigList view isn't available anymore for episodes (git version). Is it intentional or just a bug ?
That would be a bug, I'll look into it.

Quote:Another question: is it possible to have the focus on, let's say tvshows, at startup ? (git version, of course) Thanks.
Not without forcing it for everyone. Should probably be an easy hack though by changing the default control in homemenu.xml