Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

- Jeroen - 2011-12-03

Then my best guess is something went wrong with unpacking or something. How did you install it, in what folder?

If everything goes as it should, you should have these settings:
The top one is under homescreen. The second one is under other and is meant to activate globalsearch in the side menu but not enable it on home.

- kelix - 2011-12-03

Jeroen Wrote:The top one is under homescreen. The second one is under other and is meant to activate globalsearch in the side menu but not enable it on home.

yup its definitely not there...

hrmm

ok so i downloaded the zip from your skin git repository and moved the .zip to my ATV2 in /private/var/mobile

from there i navigated to add-ons in xbmc and selected "install from zip"

hrmm i wonder what is amiss.

- canadave - 2011-12-03

kelix Wrote:yup its definitely not there...

hrmm

ok so i downloaded the zip from your skin git repository and moved the .zip to my ATV2 in /private/var/mobile

from there i navigated to add-ons in xbmc and selected "install from zip"

hrmm i wonder what is amiss.

I believe you should unzip the git ZIP file on your local computer, then just FTP/upload the directory to the skins directory on your ATV2, then just select it from the Settings page. I *think* that is the correct procedure to make sure you're using the git version.

- kris2k - 2011-12-03

it will be nice to change the star in the note from imdb

- kelix - 2011-12-03

ok.. after a complete uninstall and removal. I re-installed the git build of the BEST skin out there and it worked...

no idea why.. but something must have kept it held back.. anyways that dependancy has been met and we are now live Smile

Last QN:i still can't get the poster views working correctly.. under the TV shows menu is it the "thumbnail" view you have selected?

I've got plenty of fan art but it still is driven to squish the posters/art into unreadable spaces... anyone else on an ATV2 able to replicate this?

Ive changed my "content type" under TV to prefer posters etc but still it seems to squish when i have, what appear to be, all the correct settings.

- rich_stwrt - 2011-12-04

Quote:I've got plenty of fan art but it still is driven to squish the posters/art into unreadable spaces... anyone else on an ATV2 able to replicate this?

When you check 'prefer posters' all that does is it sets the internal scraper (when not using locally stored info) to look for posters rather than banners for your TV shows.

When XBMC scrapes your local media, it will always look for the file "folder.jpg" and store that image as the thumbnail... it does not pay any attention to files named 'banner' or 'poster'.

So here is where it can get confusing. Every skin author has their preference as to what the default image should be. For the default skin Confluence, the author prefers banners, so his skin assumes that 'folder.jpg' is a banner, and displays it as a banner sized image. If 'folder.jpg' is a poster, it stretches it to fill the space. But, there is an option in the skin to use posters. In that case, the skin ignores 'folder.jpg' and looks for the file 'poster.jpg'.

Conversly, Jeroen would seem to prefer posters. So this skin assumes that 'folder.jpg' is a poster, and adjusts that image to fit in a poster sized space. If it happens to be a banner, then it squishes it to fit the space. But, there is an option to use banners, so if this is selected, 'folder.jpg' is ignored and 'banner.jpg' is used.

I know this is a bit a an oversimplification, but it gives you the idea. The real take away from this discussion is that you need to look at the file 'folder.jpg' in your media directories and make sure they are posters if you want to use ReFocus (i'm assuming they are not). You can change them manually, or you could use the new 'artwork downloader' script to download the posters (it gives you the option use a banner or poster for 'folder.jpg').

Now here is the real pain. in order to get this to show up in your library, you are going to need to 1) go to the info screen for each show and do a refresh using locally stored data, 2) delete that source from XBMC, then re-add it and let it scrape everything from scratch. (if anyone has a better way to accomplish this, please let me know).

Maybe someday the developers will change it where XBMC doesn't use 'folder.jpg' but instead stores both the banner and the poster image. But, this is likely low on the priority list (or may be painful change, since it would require a change to the underlying database structure used by the library, as well as a change to every tv show scraper out there).

Hope this helps.

- wb2alta - 2011-12-04

Thanks for the reply. Could someone refer me to instructions on how to install a git build of refocus? I assume the git builds are more current and have more recent features than the 0.9.4.1 zip?

- butchabay - 2011-12-04

Use poster instead banner should be set in the scraper setting before scanning your library.
Another way is to access info screen and just press get thumb. You'll see a list, first are coming banners and then posters, scroll down and choose your poster.

- canadave - 2011-12-04

Speaking of banners and such, I just wanted to toss out another suggestion that's occurred to me, while I'm looking at it right now--feel free to discard it if you want, Jeroen, I know there's more important things to play with in the skin:

In the "Banner" view of TV shows, it strikes me as odd that the highlighted TV show (the "current" one that we see the plot description and rating for and such) is the one on the very bottom of the list of five banners. Would it not make more sense to have the highlighted show be the topmost one, where the plot description text starts? Or even the middle one (visually centered, and my personal preference)?

Just a thought Smile As I say, feel free to discard if you like it the way it is. Of course it's a very minor point, too...

Hirs Wrote:Hi, it's been a while since I can't get unwatched flag to show up, it is enabled for all content (movies, shows, episodes and files) and media overlay is enabled (not sure is related), the only noticeable thing in the log is this:

WARNING: Skin has invalid include: flag_Label

I'm using refocus git from today and xbmc from 1-11-2011 (ppa) and ubuntu natty.

What can I do to debug this?

Thank you.

Had the same issue, and I think I figured it out.

I have been pulling out my hair for a while trying to figure this out. I had also noticed that the 'resumable' overlay was working.

I started looking for 'overlay' in the XML files, comparing the 'resumable' calls to the 'unwatched' calls, and the release versions of the files with the git version. In the end this ended up being a dead end; but as I was digging around, I noticed one major difference between the git and the release versions... the release has everything in the 'media' subdirectory compressed into an texture.xbt file, the git has retained the original file structure.

So, just out of curiosity, I copied the xbt file fro the release version directory over to the git directory, and viola, the watched indicators were working. I also noticed that i now had network logos (didn't know they were missing until I realized I had them).

Why the skin can find many things in the uncompressed directory structure, but not all, and it can find everything in the compressed version, I don't know. That for people a lot more experienced with skinning and xml to figure out / explain.

What I can say is that it appears using the git version is not as easy as just doing a git pull into the skin directory or downloading the zip file. It appears you need to take the extra step of unzipping the file, running the texture packer, then copying the texture file over to the add-on directory.

oh, the things we have to do to be on the cutting edge....

- Hirs - 2011-12-04

rich_stwrt Wrote:Had the same issue, and I think I figured it out.
So, just out of curiosity, I copied the xbt file fro the release version directory over to the git directory, and viola, the watched indicators were working. I also noticed that i now had network logos (didn't know they were missing until I realized I had them).

Why the skin can find many things in the uncompressed directory structure, but not all, and it can find everything in the compressed version, I don't know. That for people a lot more experienced with skinning and xml to figure out / explain.

What I can say is that it appears using the git version is not as easy as just doing a git pull into the skin directory or downloading the zip file. It appears you need to take the extra step of unzipping the file, running the texture packer, then copying the texture file over to the add-on directory.

oh, the things we have to do to be on the cutting edge....

Thank you very much rich_stwrt, that was it! I wasn't aware of the network logos as well, it's good to have them Smile

I have packed myself the textures to keep me on the bleeding edge Wink

If any one is interested I have uploaded the TexturePacker binary for linux, since it is only avaliable if you compile yourself xbmc:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/gck1odmuvop5hnq/TexturePacker?dl=1

in the skin directory run:

./TexturePacker -dupecheck -input media/ -output media/Textures.xbt

- Jeroen - 2011-12-04

Ok, regarding the whole submenus thing mostly discussed with Bram77 and canadave:
I just pushed a somewhat experimental commit to git which changes the home menu behavior to the following:
  • It should ALWAYS use the submenu when you have ANY option enabled in the "select submenu items" dialog for the specific main menu item
  • It should NEVER use the submenu if you have NO options enabled in the "select submenu items" dialog for the specific main menu item
  • The options are separate for movies and tv shows. Meaning you can have it set to use the submenu for movies but not for tv shows. Or vice versa
  • The skin setting "don't use submenus" should not affect any of the above, when this is finished basically the need for this setting will be gone
  • All of the above ONLY applies to videos, movies and tvshows. Music, pictures, add-ons, etc. have not been changed to this behavior yet.

Let me know your findings

Hirs Wrote:Thank you very much rich_stwrt, that was it! I wasn't aware of the network logos as well, it's good to have them Smile

I have packed myself the textures to keep me on the bleeding edge Wink

If any one is interested I have uploaded the TexturePacker binary for linux, since it is only avaliable if you compile yourself xbmc:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/gck1odmuvop5hnq/TexturePacker?dl=1

in the skin directory run:

./TexturePacker -dupecheck -input media/ -output media/Textures.xbt

Hirs, glad I can help.

Jeroen, any idea why skin can find some things (movie studio logos, resumable flag) that are not packaged in a texture file, but not others (network logos, unwatched flag)?

Is this an XBMC bug?

Or is it an issue with how the information is called? i.e. I noticed in the 'includes.xml' file that the overlay is referenced directly (/media/overlays/resumable.png) but the unwatched overlay appears to be referenced by a variable (I assume because you have different subdirectories for the watched/unwatched overlay).

Hirs Wrote:...the only noticeable thing in the log is this:

WARNING: Skin has invalid include: flag_Label

Jeroen, in regards to the log entry Hirs noted.

In the includes files, there are about three instances where you have:

Code:
<control type="Label">

Every place else in the file you have:

Code:
<control type="label">

Not sure what effect (if any) this might have, but seems to address the the issue/warning.

- canadave - 2011-12-04

Jeroen Wrote:Ok, regarding the whole submenus thing mostly discussed with Bram77 and canadave:
I just pushed a somewhat experimental commit to git which changes the home menu behavior to the following:
  • It should ALWAYS use the submenu when you have ANY option enabled in the "select submenu items" dialog for the specific main menu item
  • It should NEVER use the submenu if you have NO options enabled in the "select submenu items" dialog for the specific main menu item
  • The options are separate for movies and tv shows. Meaning you can have it set to use the submenu for movies but not for tv shows. Or vice versa
  • The skin setting "don't use submenus" should not affect any of the above, when this is finished basically the need for this setting will be gone
  • All of the above ONLY applies to videos, movies and tvshows. Music, pictures, add-ons, etc. have not been changed to this behavior yet.

Let me know your findings
Jeroen, thank you thank you thank you! This is brilliant AND logical (at the same time!). I'm busy this afternoon but will download and give it a try later this evening, and will report back. My wife's starting to look at me funny...."you don't love this skin more than you love me, do you?" Eek