Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - da-anda - 2013-04-01

this is looking veeery nice - only the font seems a little small. btw - you should update your signature to link to github instead of google code.

edit: any plans on supporting addon shortcuts or alike on the homescreen? That's the only thing I really miss in reFocus. A mixture of lightbox/nbox and Xeebo.

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - Sabish - 2013-04-01

Looks very good Jeroen... is it coded, or only mockups for now ?

Btw, i made a similar concept in the refocus BIG thread : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132897&pid=1351472#pid1351472

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - Jeroen - 2013-04-02

(2013-04-01, 13:02)da-anda Wrote: this is looking veeery nice - only the font seems a little small.
The font is a lot smaller yes. But it shouldn't be any problem on a decent TV from a normal distance Wink Especially with horizontal menus I feel scrolling should be kept to a minimum, so that means smaller fonts. I don't like most horizontal menus because most of the options are offscreen most of the time.
As a matter of fact I'm already working on a vertical version of the above menu again Rofl

Quote:btw - you should update your signature to link to github instead of google code.
Done Smile

Quote:edit: any plans on supporting addon shortcuts or alike on the homescreen? That's the only thing I really miss in reFocus. A mixture of lightbox/nbox and Xeebo.
You can set addon shortcuts already. Unless you mean outside of the menu or in the main menu. In which case, no sorry.

(2013-04-01, 13:25)Sabish Wrote: Looks very good Jeroen... is it coded, or only mockups for now ?

Btw, i made a similar concept in the refocus BIG thread : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132897&pid=1351472#pid1351472
This is all coded, though in a messy, unfinished state Smile

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - kyotocafe - 2013-04-02

(2013-04-02, 00:31)Jeroen Wrote:
(2013-04-01, 13:02)da-anda Wrote: this is looking veeery nice - only the font seems a little small.
The font is a lot smaller yes. But it shouldn't be any problem on a decent TV from a normal distance Wink Especially with horizontal menus I feel scrolling should be kept to a minimum, so that means smaller fonts. I don't like most horizontal menus because most of the options are offscreen most of the time.
As a matter of fact I'm already working on a vertical version of the above menu again Rofl

Cool !

I don't like horizontal menus at all. I also feel the same about having to scroll around to see all the options.
I really prefer having all the menu options being shown at once. This is one of the things that I love about reFocus, the home menu is just great.

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - shock - 2013-04-02

Nice!

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - qvindesland - 2013-04-02

I installed the repo yesterday but when I wanted to install the skin it says that it is broken this is on a xbmc 12.1 installation any chance that it will be updated soon?

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - ZZRX - 2013-04-03

I like this new alternate vertical homemenu, vote for it. hopeso it will release soon

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - Jeroen - 2013-04-05

(2013-04-02, 08:19)kyotocafe Wrote: I don't like horizontal menus at all. I also feel the same about having to scroll around to see all the options.
I really prefer having all the menu options being shown at once. This is one of the things that I love about reFocus, the home menu is just great.
Yet somehow I'm regularly tempted to prove myself wrong and create one that I will like Big Grin

But it's just one of those things that are hard to do right within the limitations of XBMC (which are not many , but they are there).

So the horizontal menu has been put away again, now working on a new/updated vertical menu which takes some of the aesthetics of the horizontal menu I previewed but also allows more entries in the home menus and incorporates browsing random/recenty/recommended items on the homescreen in a intuitive way if I say so myself.

(2013-04-02, 11:32)qvindesland Wrote: I installed the repo yesterday but when I wanted to install the skin it says that it is broken this is on a xbmc 12.1 installation any chance that it will be updated soon?
It will probably take a while before the repo gets updated. There's to many changes / broken at the moment. These need to be fixed first before I can push a stable update.

You can get a 12.1 compatible version on Git, but that has a couple of (pretty minor) issues though.

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - 09chja - 2013-04-06

I like the horizontal menu and would find it good if maybe you could install both versions in your new skin.

I'm really not a fan of vertical menus Sad.

Is that possible?

Sorry for my wrong english!

Regards 09chja Smile

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - FREAKJAM - 2013-04-07

Hi Jeroen,

Welcome back. Have you ever considered bringing this vertical menu back? I absolutely loved this menu.

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - g.scholtens - 2013-04-08

The horizontal menu couple of pages back is the best.
Maybe you could add both menu's so people can choose.

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - locomot1f - 2013-04-09

@ FreakJam - love that menu... different, informative, simple! I vote +1!!

Also, Jeroen... i'm not sold on the fanart slideshow for the home page. is there a way to make it just one image?
I cheated, and just made a folder with the image that I want in it... just seems like it would be easier if it was an option in the skin.

otherwise, keep up the great work!

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - Jeroen - 2013-04-11

(2013-04-07, 15:09)FREAKJAM Wrote: Hi Jeroen,

Welcome back. Have you ever considered bringing this vertical menu back? I absolutely loved this menu.

Forgot all about that one Smile Yeah I liked it visually, but there were too many usability issues with it.
As said I'm working on a new vertical menu and in a way it has some similarities to that one (pressing right to bring up the submenu for instance) and using those media counters may be something I can add too, let me see.

(2013-04-09, 16:13)locomot1f Wrote: Also, Jeroen... i'm not sold on the fanart slideshow for the home page. is there a way to make it just one image?
You mean how it's like on the Github version? Or in the stable release?
The way the slideshow used to work actually isn't possible anymore due to changes in XBMC. The way it's like on Github was an experimental attempt to sort of recreate it. I don't like it either so it's already gone from the new homescreen.

In the new homescreen you will have three choices:
- one single image
- a slideshow using a folder of images, folder needs to be selected by the user
- one built-in image per main menu item when homescreen widgets are enabled. So it will show the fanart of the most recently added movie when movies is selected for instance.

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - robweber - 2013-04-11

(2013-04-11, 10:49)Jeroen Wrote: You mean how it's like on the Github version? Or in the stable release?
The way the slideshow used to work actually isn't possible anymore due to changes in XBMC. The way it's like on Github was an experimental attempt to sort of recreate it. I don't like it either so it's already gone from the new homescreen.

- one single image
- one built-in image per main menu item when homescreen widgets are enabled. So it will show the fanart of the most recently added movie when movies is selected for instance.

When Frodo was launched I whipped up this little addon to recreate the homescreen slideshow the way pre-Frodo xbmc could. It works pretty simply, it uses the JSON interface of xbmc to get all of the fanart images for your TV Shows and Movies, and then copies these images into another directory so you can point to it for the slideshow. By default it recreates the directory that used to exist before Frodo moved to the new image caching system. Each time you re-run the addon it will remove images that no longer exist and update images that have changed, so if you change your fanart or remove a TV show you can run the addon to update the images. This has never been submitted to a repo since it was really just a utility for me to get reFocus functionality back, but if Jeroen is thinking about including a custom slideshow path for homescreen images as a setting; I figured some people may get use out of it now. Feel free to grab it from GitHub if interested.

RE: [RELEASE] reFocus 0.9.5 - Jeroen - 2013-04-11

(2013-04-11, 15:40)robweber Wrote:
(2013-04-11, 10:49)Jeroen Wrote: You mean how it's like on the Github version? Or in the stable release?

- one single image

When Frodo was launched I whipped up this little addon to recreate the homescreen slideshow the way pre-Frodo xbmc could. It works pretty simply, it uses the JSON interface of xbmc to get all of the fanart images for your TV Shows and Movies, and then copies these images into another directory so you can point to it for the slideshow. By default it recreates the directory that used to exist before Frodo moved to the new image caching system. Each time you re-run the addon it will remove images that no longer exist and update images that have changed, so if you change your fanart or remove a TV show you can run the addon to update the images. This has never been submitted to a repo since it was really just a utility for me to get reFocus functionality back, but if Jeroen is thinking about including a custom slideshow path for homescreen images as a setting; I figured some people may get use out of it now. Feel free to grab it from GitHub if interested.

That's really useful! Any chance of submitting this to the xbmc repo so I could let reFocus call your add-on as a dependency? That way I can make a third option in the skin settings that runs the add-on and automatically sets it up. That way it would be totally seamless again Smile