Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

- mstef - 2010-11-08

tungmeister Wrote:looks really good Jeroen, like the layout and the blue backing. I'll leave off on updating my horizontal mod and see what happens with this Tongue

But you can show us your point of view, some screenshots. Reagards.

Sorry, I foud it, I've stacked in this thread and I forget there is something more Smile Cheers!

- IamLegend - 2010-11-08

Jeroen Wrote:Couldn't help getting sidetracked on development a bit today and created an experimental alternate homescreen incorporating "recently added" functionality.

The idea here is to have a horizontal layout without the imo usability issue of not seeing what selection is coming up next.

The top row selects the main category
press down once to enter the submenu for the main item

And press down again to go to the most bottom row, which zooms in the recently added media

Note that at this stage this is purely an experiment and it won't be in the next release. There's plenty issues to be solved and it's not polished at all. I may even scrap it all together Wink Anyway, feedback appreciated to see if there's any interest in it.

Greetings,
Jeroen

I think that looks great! Ive been hoping you would do something like this. Ive always felt the homescreen was a little to basic. i would love to see and option added for this or something like it and would definitely use it. Nod

- Stranger - 2010-11-08

IamLegend Wrote:I think that looks great! Ive been hoping you would do something like this. Ive always felt the homescreen was a little to basic. i would love to see and option added for this or something like it and would definitely use it. Nod

I agree 100%, I think what you have so far is an undeniable improvement over the current home screen. Graphically it is allot better, the blue overlay is perfect in respects to backdrops and probably video in the background... I would however consider rethinking the sub-menu and recently added (aesthetically)

- starcitysecrets - 2010-11-08

Jeroen Wrote:Couldn't help getting sidetracked on development a bit today and created an experimental alternate homescreen incorporating "recently added" functionality.

The idea here is to have a horizontal layout without the imo usability issue of not seeing what selection is coming up next.

The top row selects the main category
press down once to enter the submenu for the main item

And press down again to go to the most bottom row, which zooms in the recently added media

Note that at this stage this is purely an experiment and it won't be in the next release. There's plenty issues to be solved and it's not polished at all. I may even scrap it all together Wink Anyway, feedback appreciated to see if there's any interest in it.

Greetings,
Jeroen

Shocked WOW

JUST, WOW.

that looks really awesome, definitely an improvement over the current home screen. really hope you keep this up, it looks very professional and fits right in with the refocus theme

- Jeroen - 2010-11-08

Thanks for the feedback guys

mstef Wrote:It looks great but IMHO this is going beyond reFocus, which is minimalistic and I didn't see any thumbs in menu before.
I thought this would still qualify as minimalistic Wink Well, there weren't any thumbs in the menu before because currently the recently added functionality isn't implemented yet. Just showing the movie or episode titles wouldn't look that great I think. Not to mention the issues with long text in a horizontal menu.
I could make an option to not include the recently added stuff in there but then the alternate menu wouldn't really offer anything over the regular menu I guess.

tungmeister Wrote:looks really good Jeroen, like the layout and the blue backing. I'll leave off on updating my horizontal mod and see what happens with this
By all means don't let me keep you from working on it. This could take a while to land in a public release Wink

IamLegend Wrote:I think that looks great! Ive been hoping you would do something like this. Ive always felt the homescreen was a little to basic. i would love to see and option added for this or something like it and would definitely use it. Nod
Thanks, we'll see how this will turn out : )

Stranger Wrote:I would however consider rethinking the sub-menu and recently added (aesthetically)
Anything specific? Note though that this is very rough and just started today so basically everything is subject to change.

starcitysecrets Wrote:Shocked WOW

JUST, WOW.

that looks really awesome, definitely an improvement over the current home screen. really hope you keep this up, it looks very professional and fits right in with the refocus theme
Thanks Smile

I am still struggling with the concept of a horizontal menu. As I said before I prefer to not have to scroll "blind" to get to certain items, but maybe there's just no escaping it. After all, currently it's still missing things like weather and settings entries. So fitting them all onscreen the text would have to be tiny

Another issue I see with this is localization, so I would have to find some solution for that too. All in all, much work to do Nod

Greetings,
Jeroen

- nick8539 - 2010-11-09

Hi, I think this skin is perfect. Everything I need and want. works great and the girlfriend loves it. I love creating smart playlists for my movie categories...

is there any way that I can have more than 2 custom playlist shortcuts? doesnt have to be an official update but is it a quick edit to the code I can do to have at least 4? I use the vertical menu...and I don't mind taking off the trailers and playlist menu in the video menu.

- Jeroen - 2010-11-09

Hi nick, I'm glad you like it. are you running the latest version? Because I added two extra available playlist shortcut entries a couple of releases ago.

- starcitysecrets - 2010-11-09

Jeroen Wrote:As I said before I prefer to not have to scroll "blind" to get to certain items, but maybe there's just no escaping it. After all, currently it's still missing things like weather and settings entries. So fitting them all onscreen the text would have to be tiny

yeah this is something i hate with skins where you have to scroll off skin to see certain items in the menu, perhaps you could have the text smaller on screen and then once its highlighted it stretches and glows?

- Ayla - 2010-11-09

Jeroen,

Would you do a big favor and upload the uncompressed textures from 0.8.9 somewhere?

Marc "El Massman", the guy who ported over reFocus-for-Plex, is a bit stuck because the textures won't extract.

I think he tried to contact you some time ago about this, but I'm sure you've both been busy with real-life stuff Smile

Thanks in advance
/Martin

- nick8539 - 2010-11-10

Jeroen Wrote:Hi nick, I'm glad you like it. are you running the latest version? Because I added two extra available playlist shortcut entries a couple of releases ago.

My apologies, I just noticed you did. Didnt find the need to update before as everything worked perfect for me as is Big Grin

Thanks!

- Unitydisconnect - 2010-11-10

Jeroen, this looks fantastic. I love the blue glow that you have goin on with the front menu. By the way, that quick fix for the overlays worked like a charm, thanks a bunch man!

- Jeroen - 2010-11-10

starcitysecrets Wrote:perhaps you could have the text smaller on screen and then once its highlighted it stretches and glows?
Well that's the hard part in horizontal lists. I could make the highlighted item stretch, zoom, do pretty much anything with them, but the unselected items are not "aware" of the selected item. So that would mean that the text of the selected item would go through the text of the unselected items.

That is, unless I use a regular list or wraplist but those have their own drawbacks in this situation, so I'm using grouplists here. Horizontal lists have very specific challenges let's just say that Smile

Ayla Wrote:Jeroen,

Would you do a big favor and upload the uncompressed textures from 0.8.9 somewhere?

Marc "El Massman", the guy who ported over reFocus-for-Plex, is a bit stuck because the textures won't extract.

I think he tried to contact you some time ago about this, but I'm sure you've both been busy with real-life stuff Smile

Thanks in advance
/Martin
Oh damn, I completely forgot about that. I'll contact Marc about this and I will be looking into setting up a repo starting with 0.9.

nick8539 Wrote:My apologies, I just noticed you did. Didnt find the need to update before as everything worked perfect for me as is Big Grin

Thanks!
Great Smile

Unitydisconnect Wrote:Jeroen, this looks fantastic. I love the blue glow that you have goin on with the front menu. By the way, that quick fix for the overlays worked like a charm, thanks a bunch man!
Great, you're welcome Smile

- Jeroen - 2010-11-10

Coming in 0.8.9.5: support for the excellent "The Big Picture" add-on. Many thanks to Sphere for adding skinning support to his add-on, resulting in the add-on feeling perfectly at home in reFocus Smile

- mstef - 2010-11-10

Nice! Smile

- Sranshaft - 2010-11-10

Jeroen Wrote:Coming in 0.8.9.5: support for the excellent "The Big Picture" add-on. Many thanks to Sphere for adding skinning support to his add-on, resulting in the add-on feeling perfectly at home in reFocus Smile

That screenshot actually made me go and download the addon! An excellent view for such amazing photographs. Now I just have to wait for the next update. Laugh

Oh, I also have to say I love what you have in store for the home screen! It just doesn't get any better than that. My only criticism would be, at the moment, it all looks a little crammed together. Have you thought about removing the recent previews until focus is on the Recent menu item? Then have them fade it / slide in from the left. Just an idea but I definitely love the direction you're going with it.