Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- relayer35 - 2010-11-29

slaffe Wrote:In this case it is the remote that is being slow. I get the same delay on my TV when using my Harmony.. :S
In Logitech Software the ms is set to 0ms, this remote is worthless with this delay. Will return it to the store i bought it from.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't have the Harmony 700, but have owned four other Harmony remotes in my day (currently using a Harmony One and a Harmony 880 on the other system) and have never had an issue with lag except with Logitech's own PS3 Harmony Adapter. Just keep in mind, there are three different delay settings in the device section, so I'm not sure which one you have set to 0ms.

Out of curiosity, I decided to review some user reviews of the 700 to see if anyone else is having similar problems (I had considered purchasing this one a while back, but didn't because of the 6 device limitation. I tend to have more devices than that). Most of the reviews were favorable, and the negative reviews stemmed mostly from people not understanding the "Activity" concept, while a few mentioned a flimsy feel when compared to other remotes. I did not notice anyone complaining of lag.

I know these things can be a headache to set up initially. I recently upgraded my main system to the One from the 880, and the software said that all my settings would transfer in tact, but I had to set up all my custom button mappings again. I just can't imagine controlling a complex home theater setup without one of these. Anyways, best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

- slaffe - 2010-11-30

bodhi Wrote:In case you don't already know, there are 4 types of delay, and they need to be set in the Device page (not activity).

This is not true, atleast not in Harmony 700. I can only adjust Buttoninterval and inputinterval. Nothing else. Nothing that would go under delay settings, only those 2..

And nothing helps.

- bodhi - 2010-11-30

slaffe Wrote:This is not true, atleast not in Harmony 700. I can only adjust Buttoninterval and inputinterval. Nothing else. Nothing that would go under delay settings, only those 2..

And nothing helps.

You did not say what type of system your HTPC is, and what type of IR receiver you're using,... So it's not easy for others to help you.

The reason you're seeing 2 options, I'm guessing that you must have selected the option "my device does not have a power button" while setting up your HTPC device. So any delay option that's related to the power on/off aspect is not relevant, therefore not shown.

Simply speaking, all Harmony remotes use the same software to set up. So it does not matter whether it is 700 or 360 or One,.... they all set up the same way.

- slaffe - 2010-11-30

bodhi Wrote:You did not say what type of system your HTPC is, and what type of IR receiver you're using,... So it's not easy for others to help you.

The reason you're seeing 2 options, I'm guessing that you must have selected the option "my device does not have a power button" while setting up your HTPC device. So any delay option that's related to the power on/off aspect is not relevant, therefore not shown.

Simply speaking, all Harmony remotes use the same software to set up. So it does not matter whether it is 700 or 360 or One,.... they all set up the same way.

What you're saying might be true, I will have a look at it again. I dont use any HTPC setup, I use my regular workstation connected to my Panasonic TV. Togeather with a HP Media Center IR-Receiver bought from ebay.

- slaffe - 2010-11-30

Cannot edit my previous post because of permissions apparently, wierd..

I still only have 2 options when selecting that my device have a power button..

- dtviewer - 2010-12-02

You do realize with the 700 that you can now adjust delays right through the remote instead of going through the pc software?

Just hold down the 'help' button until the fixdelays wizard comes up on the screen. Then adjust from there.

BTW, I own 3 Harmony remotes-The One, a 610 and a 700.
All of them control systems with XBMC Xbox's or XBMC Revo's and all are perfectly fast, no lag at all. (Using MCE remote receivers on the Revos)

Harmony in WinXP? - goldenmeadow - 2010-12-04

Hi everybody!

Thanks for so informative thread. I'm currently switching from TVedia to XBMC and have really short question:
to get my Harmony working with XBMC in WinXP, do I need EventGhost? I read that you guys run Win7 and it has MCE built it. But WinXP doesn't, right? It's old but it's enough for me Smile
I've tried straight Harmony setup and it doesn't work...

I use Girder to translate Harmony commands into TVedia. So should I use EventGhost for XBMC?

Thanks!!!

- dtviewer - 2010-12-04

goldenmeadow Wrote:Hi everybody!

Thanks for so informative thread. I'm currently switching from TVedia to XBMC and have really short question:
to get my Harmony working with XBMC in WinXP, do I need EventGhost? I read that you guys run Win7 and it has MCE built it. But WinXP doesn't, right? It's old but it's enough for me Smile
I've tried straight Harmony setup and it doesn't work...

I use Girder to translate Harmony commands into TVedia. So should I use EventGhost for XBMC?

Thanks!!!

No need to use event ghost. I am also running XBMC with Win XP and just set mine up like detailed in this thread.
Follow the very first post in this thread. The OP did a very good job explaining step by step how to set up a Harmony.
If you have any questions after that post them here.

It might be frustrating for you guys... - goldenmeadow - 2010-12-04

Hi!
I know, it might be frustrating for you guys when newbe asks stupid questions. But...

I've tried exact setup as in post #1. I have receiver "Microsoft Remote Control and Receiver 1.0A for Media Center PC with Windows (Model 1040)" and Harmony 525. I set everything exactly as guided but I have NO response from PC. I feel that I'm missing one simple step but I don't get what exactly. Do I need to install some driver for receiver? When I press buttons on remote I see red LED coming on on receiver, but no action.
Any ideas? Maybe link to another thread that I can read first?

Thanks in advance!

- vanOert - 2010-12-04

goldenmeadow Wrote:Hi!
I know, it might be frustrating for you guys when newbe asks stupid questions. But...

I've tried exact setup as in post #1. I have receiver "Microsoft Remote Control and Receiver 1.0A for Media Center PC with Windows (Model 1040)" and Harmony 525. I set everything exactly as guided but I have NO response from PC. I feel that I'm missing one simple step but I don't get what exactly. Do I need to install some driver for receiver? When I press buttons on remote I see red LED coming on on receiver, but no action.

Thanks in advance!
Doesn't seem like you're missing something. How does your receiver display in windows device manager?

- dtviewer - 2010-12-04

goldenmeadow Wrote:Hi!

Thanks in advance!

There are no stupid questions....so keep asking away.

You may need to install the drivers for the Remote and receiver. (I had to)
They can be found here:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009

Thanks! - goldenmeadow - 2010-12-04

Thanks guys! It works.
I didn't need extra drivers BUT needed to update driver for MCE Receiver through Device Manager. I let it to connect to Microsoft and update driver.

It works!!! Thanks again.
Hope it will help somebody (I have Win XP SP3)

- Bairum - 2010-12-14

Thanks for this post OP. It was very helpful. I am getting quite a bit of lag with my harmony remote. Could someone that doesn't have much lag please post their settings for:

'MCE remote'
  1. Power on Delay
  2. Inter-Key Delay
  3. Input Delay
  4. Inter-Device Delay

'MCE keyboard' for:

1. Inter-Key Delay
  2. Input Delay
  3. Inter-Device Delay

I have tried various combinations, but can't seem to find one that works 'OK'..

Thanks in advance.

- bodhi - 2010-12-14

I use the Keyboard to "push" the Power button. And my Power button will toggle the HTPC in/out of Sleep mode. I have no lag whatsoever. And this is to control the RC6 receiver (Philips OVU4003/00). The HTPC is Win7 Home Premium Acer Revo 3610.

'MCE remote'

Inter-Key Delay = 0
Input Delay = 0
Inter-Device Delay = 500

'MCE keyboard'

Power On Delay = 8000
Inter-Key Delay = 100
Input Delay = 1000
Inter-Device Delay = 500

- Black993 - 2010-12-16

First of all, thanks for the great tutorial. Receiver should be here any day so hopefully everything works Smile

A quick question:

When programming items like the start key, or to close a program (alt f4 for example), does it need to be put in as a sequence like:

MCE Keyboard, alt
MCE Keyboard, f4

or should it be:

MCE Keyboard, alt
MCE Keyboard, +
MCE Keyboard, f4