Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- bodhi - 2011-09-11

babca Wrote:Thanks for your advice, but it's completely the same, "queuing" is still there.

There is an icon in the bottom right corner on the remote's display indicating active transmit of IR command. When I press 15 times for example 'arrow down' button, the icon stays on for at least 2 seconds. Does your remote behave like this?

ThanksSmile

For every day usage, I use Harmony 360, so the indicator is the back light on the Activity button. And the light flashes immediately each time one of the arrow buttons is pressed, and XBMC reacts immediately. If I press and hold down an arrow button, e.g. the right button, on the main menu, it cycles very quickly and the XBMC main menu also advances to the right just as quick (horizontal menu). When the button is released, the XBMC main menu stops advancing immediately.

I think the lag, or queuing, is a problem seems to be specific on Harmony 650 and Harmony One. I don't recall seeing people reporting this about other models.

BTW, I'm using the Philips-OVU4003/00 receiver. This RC6 receiver is the OEM for various brands, such as Dell.

- jhsrennie - 2011-09-12

Gingerbread Man Wrote:Would any of these do -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B003ZV3J72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315759746&sr=8-1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/microsoft-media-centre-remote-and-receiver-/300598415676?pt=UK_Collectables_InputDevices_RL&hash=item45fd0fd13c

The VRC-1100 is a competant remote but has some limitations and isn't configurable. The Microsoft remote is a much better bet, though be prepared to pay a lot for it as they seem to be in demand these days.

JR

- Gingerbread Man - 2011-09-12

jhsrennie Wrote:The VRC-1100 is a competent remote but has some limitations and isn't configurable. The Microsoft remote is a much better bet, though be prepared to pay a lot for it as they seem to be in demand these days.

JR

Just after a good receiver to go with my Harmony really. Remote can be crap!

- Calcvictim - 2011-09-12

HiSoC8Y Wrote:Thanks for the guide.

I managed to get my Dell RC6 work with my Harmony 900.

However, when I press power on the remote, Windows Media Center starts, not XBMC.

How to resolve this?

1)What devices are added to the harmony, is it MCE Keyboard and Media Center SE...or is it something else
2)Under activity find the computer and press "customize button".....what is the power button mapped to?

For the people who have a big lag with the 650, describe your setup. I have a 650 and set the delays to zero(using the HP receiver)and have no noticeable delay compared to the keyboard. I am not running even ghost and most of my buttons are mapped to Media Center SE besides the "back" button, that one is mapped to MCE Keyboard "ESC"

- jhsrennie - 2011-09-13

Gingerbread Man Wrote:Just after a good receiver to go with my Harmony really. Remote can be crap!

The receiver is the key bit of the remote, since that's what the OS sees. All the handset does is send an infra red signal. The limitations of the VRC-1100 lie in the receiver not the handset.

Having said that, I'm currently using a VRC-1100 receiver with my Harmony 300.

JR

- babca - 2011-09-13

bodhi Wrote:I think the lag, or queuing, is a problem seems to be specific on Harmony 650 and Harmony One. I don't recall seeing people reporting this about other models.

I found this 21 pages long thread on Logitech site.

Quote:Seems like this is not a problem of just the "One": my 555 acts the same...
Quote:I too have this problem..
i would like to use it mostly for my dreambox (800 at this moment, but it was the same with 7000)
Quote:sylvezter 02-11-2008 10:18 AM
What I would really like to stress is that this delay, lag, or slowness is not present on the Harmony 670 or 659 remotes. I programmed the Harmony One with the same configuration as the 670, so this rules out a configuration problem, such as a bad IR code in the database or delays and repeats.
Quote:I have no delay issues with the 1100, however, after editing the IR with logitech, I never had any delay issues with the One.
Quote:Well, I can only say that my previous logitech remote (Harmony 680) didn't have any speed issues... It performed just like the originals but my harmony one simply responds a lot slower. You really have to wait when going through channels or lists, skipping forward or back in videos or dvds, etc.
Quote:I have 2 Harmony One's and a 900, and I haven't noticed any problems with delays.
Quote:I've had many Harmony remotes - the 688, 880, and now the One. All of them perform sluggishly like this, with every device I have, and I have a lot of them.

kind of... disappointing.

I'd like to see any whitelist, who has Harmony (and which model) with no buffering issues?

- W1nks - 2011-09-14

How do you make it shutdown and power on your computer when you press "All Off" or change an activity?

I have a a HP 5188-1667 for a receiver. Thanks.

- bodhi - 2011-09-14

W1nks Wrote:How do you make it shutdown and power on your computer when you press "All Off" or change an activity?

I have a a HP 5188-1667 for a receiver. Thanks.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=884037&postcount=518

- Silvaire - 2011-09-16

Hi, I have been using the HP receiver with the Harmony One for about a week and after doing some tweaking to the delays I can't seem to solve a problem where quite frequently it will input a remote command twice, in quick succession, maybe every 3-4 button presses I make. It is quite annoying and was wondering if anyone has an effective means for dealing with this, and/or can provide me their delay settings. I am using MCE Keyboard and Media Center SE (for the Windows + 1 shortcut), if it matters.

- argh! - 2011-09-16

I had the exact same problem. I lowered the keyboard repeat rate in WIndows, and that fixed it up nicely. I believe the Harmony delay is the second-lowest.

- Silvaire - 2011-09-16

I've been screwing around with the inter-key delay from 100 MS to 500 MS, but I have a feeling my issue isn't necessarily related to it. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that when I fire up my HTPC in a bit. Sounds like it will fix my problem.

What is your inter-key delay at, 200 MS? Lowest I think is 100. You haven't messed with the other delays right? Don't think they matter.

- argh! - 2011-09-16

Troubleshooting, "Media Center PC responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally."

0-5 available, I have mine set to 1. I haven't changed any Millisecond settings.

On Keyboard Settings, Repeat Delay is second-shortest. Repeat Rate is about 1.4 of the way between Slow and Fast.

- Silvaire - 2011-09-16

Thanks, didn't even know about that first setting you mention. I'll apply all those changes when I get home on Monday and report back.

- Tony_Montana - 2011-09-28

is it possible to re-upload the pics in the first post ,plz?

Button repeating - mosesvii - 2011-10-03

I have an odd problem. I've read through all the posts in this thread and have not seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Occasionally my remote will send a command and not stop sending it. eg. I'll use the number button to skip down to a letter within XBMC then i find the whole app stops responding to my commands. When i exit it back to windows i find the '0' button or 't' or '#' (or others) are being repeated. If i open up notepad the letter or number continues to fill the screen. The only way i've found to stop it is to reboot the computer.

I have the cheap $10 remote that came with my IR Receiver and it works fine 100% of the time so i dont think it's the OS (it doesn't have backlit keys so i want to use the harmony). I have all keyboards turned off when it happens, so i'm sure it's coming from my remote. I've upgraded to the latest firmware and wiped the remote a bunch of times. I cannot find the reason for this.

The problem only happens occasionally (once or twice a night), and it can be kicked off by different buttons. Funnily enough through those buttons work at other times.

Any suggestions?