Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- ashlar - 2011-01-23

softfree Wrote:but i have to press three time on the remote button instead of two.
Yeah, I just didn't want somebody erasing the whole library just to remove one movie. Wink

- elitegamer360 - 2011-01-24

Torroa Wrote:Has probably been mentioned earlier, but i use the [end] command to put the machine in standby. It works OK when I am at the home menu, but if I am in the other menus the [end] function just scrolls to the bottom of the list.

Any easy tweak to make it standby where ever I am navigating?

Define easy tweak? Rolleyes

What I think the easy method is to use this registry code 0c,00,00,00,03,82,00 to send your PC to sleep/standby. Btw, The first byte 0c defines the button you want to use, and in this instance "0c" is the Power/Sleep button on your remote. You do not have to set this function to your power button but you can use any buton you want, use the remote picture in my Remote setup page as a guide.

You can see the first picture on that page already shows what you want.

So to make the "Power" button send your PC to Sleep then, do as follows:

1- Open the registry config file using notepad to edit it.
2- If you used one of my registry files Look for the [POWER] mark otherwise look for byte "0c" should be the first byte on the left.
3- Opposite to the [POWER] you will see 0c,00,00,00,04,00,16
4- Change that to this 0c,00,00,00,03,82,00
5- Save, Exit, double click to apply then finaly restart your PC Smile

Done!

Cheers,
EG.

- vbat99 - 2011-01-24

Hi Elitegamer

I have a Hp MCE and using your registry file, got it sorted.

I had one glitch. The power button wouldn't work after merging the reg file. But I got it to work.

The initial registry entry for the power button '0C' had this at the end of the list, so I moved this key in your file to the end of the list and **Presto** (after reboot) all is working perfectly.

Thanks for your info, and also jhsrennie.

One question, is there a list or pdf of actions we can program for a key to do??

Cheers. Rob

PS, you helped me when I picked a Chinavision remote. This worked well, but was rubbish to program into a Harmony, so bit the bullet and got the HP one. NICEEEEEE.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-01-24

vbat99 Wrote:Hi Elitegamer

I have a Hp MCE and using your registry file, got it sorted.

I had one glitch. The power button wouldn't work after merging the reg file. But I got it to work.

The initial registry entry for the power button '0C' had this at the end of the list, so I moved this key in your file to the end of the list and **Presto** (after reboot) all is working perfectly.

Thanks for your info, and also jhsrennie.

One question, is there a list or pdf of actions we can program for a key to do??

Cheers. Rob

PS, you helped me when I picked a Chinavision remote. This worked well, but was rubbish to program into a Harmony, so bit the bullet and got the HP one. NICEEEEEE.

I remember you Big Grin how are ya? I hope all is well Smile

Yea, its good that you got the HP one, your older remote was the most painful to use I think Laugh anyways I'm Glad everything is working fine for you now :-)

here you go, you can use Built In Functions, Action IDs and Using a Microsoft remote control in Windows has all the nerdy codes. Laugh

Cheers,
EG.

Help!! Please for the love of god!!! - polecat1982 - 2011-01-25

hi all new to the boards although i have been using xbmc for a while now ..and finally decided "i gotta get a remote for the missus and kids" Smile

after looking on here and reading recomendations i opted for aim media center remote for windows 7

i am running xp home edition and despite reading up on it before the purchase and it seeming this would work easily with xp ...I cannot get any further than i am at the moment ..

the ehome drivers will not install and the only way to get my IR receiver to install is as Infrared HID device...

please any help would be great!

thank you all

- sajberman - 2011-01-25

elitegamer360 Wrote:Yes, this should work but put <w>PlayerControl(Random)</w> inside the <MyMusicPlaylist> and <MyMusicPlaylistEditor> sections of the keyboard.xml this way you will still retain the watch/unwatch toggle functionality when browsing your videos. So the blue button will be doing two specific functions in two different views. Big Grin

Edit: I forgot to mention that for turning off "random" you need another button set to "RandomOff", for random on its better to use "Random" per above example, so every time you press the blue button the music will be shuffled, but "Random on" cant shuffle, only turns the feature on :-)

Cheers,
EG.
I just want to say a big thank you EG! It worked great, and now my configuration is perfect...almost Wink

- elitegamer360 - 2011-01-25

sajberman Wrote:I just want to say a big thank you EG! It worked great, and now my configuration is perfect...almost Wink

You are most welcome Big Grin

Cheers,
EG.

- sandos - 2011-01-25

I'm using a Harmony 525 to emulate a MCE remote. This works without issue in linux, but in windows (no registry hack yet) I get repated keypresses. up/down for example goes 4 or 5 steps instead of 1 in the menu.

(Found it hard to search for this)

polecat1982 Wrote:hi all new to the boards although i have been using xbmc for a while now ..and finally decided "i gotta get a remote for the missus and kids" Smile

after looking on here and reading recomendations i opted for aim media center remote for windows 7

i am running xp home edition and despite reading up on it before the purchase and it seeming this would work easily with xp ...I cannot get any further than i am at the moment ..

the ehome drivers will not install and the only way to get my IR receiver to install is as Infrared HID device...

please any help would be great!

thank you all

Usually people would swear on WinXP full compatibility, and I would assume that as well but last time I used XP was, ahhh.. Cant remember so many years back.

Anyways to rule out the possibility of faulty product can you please use another computer or a laptop and insert the receiver in it, It will be better if the PC/Laptop has a newer version of windows and not XP, it should be detected automatically, if not and you still see the HID driver then return it and ask for a replacement if you want.

What you can try now while the IR receiver is pluged in your PC, is to go to your "Device Manager" select the HID driver of the device and uninstall it.

Then remove it from your PC. If you have installed the Rollup 2 update then with no luck try This zip file go to update folder and install using the "update.exe".

Restart your PC and plug in the IR receiver, if it is not faulty hopefully it will work :-)

EDIT: I also forgot to mention to plug in your USB IR Receiver directly in one of the rear motherboard USB ports. Avoid plugging it in the case or using any extending cable, just to make sure no problems cause by any other factor.

Cheers,
EG.

sandos Wrote:I'm using a Harmony 525 to emulate a MCE remote. This works without issue in linux, but in windows (no registry hack yet) I get repated keypresses. up/down for example goes 4 or 5 steps instead of 1 in the menu.

(Found it hard to search for this)

I have no experience with harmony remotes but I think that can be fixed from the harmony settings.

Ask in the Harmony support thread they should know how to help you better than me.

Cheers,
EG.

select arrows and page up/down - jeffpzy - 2011-01-26

Very thankful for the work you put into this and mostly works well in my configuration. I have one of the HP remotes and programmed into a URC MX-450. Most buttons work great however when scrolling through movies the directional arrows and ch up/down only work once. So I can move up or down one movie only or page up/down once. If I page up I can then arrow up once and then page up again but I don't have true scrolling through my lists. Any suggestions?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-01-26

jeffpzy Wrote:Very thankful for the work you put into this and mostly works well in my configuration. I have one of the HP remotes and programmed into a URC MX-450. Most buttons work great however when scrolling through movies the directional arrows and ch up/down only work once. So I can move up or down one movie only or page up/down once. If I page up I can then arrow up once and then page up again but I don't have true scrolling through my lists. Any suggestions?

This is the first time that I hear about this remote and although the URC MX-450 is not an MCE remote but I see that it can emulate one.

Not sure about this one, but in XBMC have you ENABLED "Remote Control Sends Keyboard Presses" in Settings_> System_> Input Devices.

Is there any other options on your remote to check for navigation buttons functionality? there might be an option that you missed! What I can think of right now maybe there is a macro of some sort or something in the remote stopping the buttons from sending the correct signal again! I cant really say, sorry.

Have you tried your HP remote, does the same thing happen with it?

Cheers,
EG.

- ubuntuf4n - 2011-01-27

hi elitegamer360,

I was curious how you managed to double-assign those PageUp/PageDown-Buttons
for getting the zooming effect in Movies.
It's nice that you can do that without loosing the standard-PageUp/PageDown-Function.

I'd added this to the keyboard.xml, but nothing happens:

Quote:<pageup>ZoomIn</pageup> <!-- Added for MCE Remotes for extra zooming -->
<Pagedown>ZoomOut</Pagedown> <!-- Added for MCE Remotes for extra zooming -->

in this section:

Quote:<FullscreenVideo>
<keyboard>
</keyboard>
</FullscreenVideo>

I am currently using my own setup, but this feature sounds really cool.
How could I do that without hard win-reg mods ?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-01-27

ubuntuf4n Wrote:hi elitegamer360,

I was curious how you managed to double-assign those PageUp/PageDown-Buttons
for getting the zooming effect in Movies.
It's nice that you can do that without loosing the standard-PageUp/PageDown-Function.

I'd added this to the keyboard.xml, but nothing happens:

in this section:

I am currently using my own setup, but this feature sounds really cool.
How could I do that without hard win-reg mods ?

I tripple assigned them Big Grin they can rearrange your playlist listings as well when you are obviously in the playlist window Wink

What you have done is correct and exactly like in my Keyboard.xml, but what does your remote channel up and channel down sends? My custom setup simply channel up and down send Pgup and Pgdwn respectively.

I think that nothing happens in your case because your remote might be sending smothing else. Can you please let me know what your remote channel up and down send? Use the most famous of all "showkey.exe"

I will probably be able to give you a soultion without a reg mod but just out of curiosity, why do you not want to use a reg mod? its the best reliable way to sends commands via IR.

Cheers,
EG.

- jeffpzy - 2011-01-27

elitegamer360 Wrote:Thanks :-)

This is the first time that I hear about this remote and although the URC MX-450 is not an MCE remote but I see that it can emulate one.

Not sure about this one, but in XBMC have you ENABLED "Remote Control Sends Keyboard Presses" in Settings_> System_> Input Devices.

Is there any other options on your remote to check for navigation buttons functionality? there might be an option that you missed! What I can think of right now maybe there is a macro of some sort or something in the remote stopping the buttons from sending the correct signal again! I cant really say, sorry.

Have you tried your HP remote, does the same thing happen with it?

Cheers,
EG.

I'll try directly with the HP remote tonight. What I did was follow the set up from your site and then learned the commands directly from the HP into the URC. I did not use a code database of any sort.

I did enable the remote setting in XBMC as you mentioned.