Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-02-26

fmark Wrote:Hello,

I have a question. Will Windows Media Center still work with my MCE remote control when it is active (open) ? Or after applying this mode MCE remote will only control XBMC ?

Thanks,
Mark.

This setup is purely designed for XBMC and will not work with anything else.

But i have created another configuration that works with Media Center and works with XBMC as well.

check this dedicated thread. Related discussions here please.

Cheers,
EG.

- fmark - 2011-02-26

elitegamer360 Wrote:This setup is purely designed for XBMC and will not work with anything else.

But i have created another configuration that works with Media Center and works with XBMC as well.

check this dedicated thread. Related discussions here please.

Cheers,
EG.

Thanks much ! I'll take a look at the dedicated thread.

- phin586 - 2011-02-28

I must say, everything is working flawlessly!

2 questions:

1) How can I remap my channel up and down buttons to be PgUP and PgDOWN?

2) How do I get the context menu?

I think a cool little control map that could be printed out would be great. I'll see what i can whip up!

- F4kt0r - 2011-02-28

Hi guys,
at first I would like to thank you for this amazing piece of SW that XBMC totally is. I have been playing with XBMC for a while and now I need to set up my remote. I followed the easy instructions and nearly everything work flawlessly. I am using HP Media Center remote (see photo, actually my remtoe is slightly different, coloured buttons for movies, music library etc.) and have couple of problems. When using ShowKey app, to see what each button does, some of them are not working (red squares at the picture). I push them and ShowKey does not register anything. What can I do about it? I would like to use them.
Then the numeric buttons. For example, when I click search in my music library and the typing screen shows up, I would like to type in sms style. For example to write a word "hello", push number 4 two times, then number three two times then number 5 three times and so on. Is it possible? Also the JUMPSMS feature seems not to be working, when searching through my movie library I can push numbers as I can and nothing works.

Sorry for my bad english and thanks for your help guys.

[IMG=http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7530/hpremotenewer.jpg][/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

- elitegamer360 - 2011-02-28

phin586 Wrote:I must say, everything is working flawlessly!

2 questions:

1) How can I remap my channel up and down buttons to be PgUP and PgDOWN?

2) How do I get the context menu?

I think a cool little control map that could be printed out would be great. I'll see what i can whip up!

my config v.1.24 has all what you want :-)

but if you use your own setup then use MCERemoteMapper to map the buttons as you wish, tutorials here:

In MCERemoteMapper do this:

1) Scroll down to channelUp and ChannelDown buttons
...A) for Channel up button make sure no boxes are ticked and from the Drop down menu select "PageUP"

...B) for Channel Down button make sure no boxes are ticked and from the Drop down menu select "PageDown"

2) in MCERemotemapper choose the button that you want to activate the "Context Menu". Navigate to it, for example select the "guide" button and make sure no boxes are ticked against it and from the Drop down menu select "C"

Cheers,
EG.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-02-28

F4kt0r Wrote:Hi guys,
at first I would like to thank you for this amazing piece of SW that XBMC totally is. I have been playing with XBMC for a while and now I need to set up my remote. I followed the easy instructions and nearly everything work flawlessly. I am using HP Media Center remote (see photo, actually my remtoe is slightly different, coloured buttons for movies, music library etc.) and have couple of problems. When using ShowKey app, to see what each button does, some of them are not working (red squares at the picture). I push them and ShowKey does not register anything. What can I do about it? I would like to use them.

If showKey does not show anything then I'm not sure if we can actualy make them work. Do they do any sort of action outside XBMC? like in Windows, or internet explorer or maybe Windows media Center.. Anything at all?

F4kt0r Wrote:Then the numeric buttons. For example, when I click search in my music library and the typing screen shows up, I would like to type in sms style. For example to write a word "hello", push number 4 two times, then number three two times then number 5 three times and so on. Is it possible? Also the JUMPSMS feature seems not to be working, when searching through my movie library I can push numbers as I can and nothing works.

Sorry for my bad english and thanks for your help guys.

[IMG=http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7530/hpremotenewer.jpg][/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Are you using config v1.24 and Keyboard.xml v1.81? This should work automatically if you are using the above files.

Cheers,
EG.

- F4kt0r - 2011-02-28

Yes, I am. I am also using eventghost for Seamless XBMC startup but I have got no plugin related to Remote Control and it didnt work even before I intalled EventGhost (I installed it today but problem with RC occured yesterday)

I will try go through the procedure again, maybe I missed something...

EDIT: Nice, I just changed my keyboard with alt+shift to english and it seems to be working...

- phin586 - 2011-03-02

Thanks. I had one last question.

How well does this translate over to Hulu Desktop? Was thinking of using that with XBMC since the plugin occasionally sputters out on me.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-03-02

phin586 Wrote:Thanks. I had one last question.

How well does this translate over to Hulu Desktop? Was thinking of using that with XBMC since the plugin occasionally sputters out on me.

I think that this setup will not work with Hulu becuase it is solely made for XBMC. :-)

But if Hulu uses the same Windows Media Center commands/keyboard shortcuts then you might want to try this setup, It currently supports Full XBMC functionality "exactly like config v1.24", WMC and basic control of PowerDVD and WinDVD.

I'd recommend you backup your current registry settings before attempting any thing new :-)

Anyways unfortunately Hulu is completely an unknown territory to me because I have no access to it Rolleyes.

Cheers,
EG.

- bunky - 2011-03-05

I've got a question regarding dual monitors. I've searched for an answer for hours with no results. I am currently running dual monitors, with XBMC on my HDTV controlled by an MCE remote, and I like to game or surf the web on the other monitor while watching movies. It's kind of a pain in the ass to have to alt tab out of game to bring focus to XBMC to use the remote. Is there any way I can dedicate the MCE remote to only control XBMC?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-03-05

bunky Wrote:I've got a question regarding dual monitors. I've searched for an answer for hours with no results. I am currently running dual monitors, with XBMC on my HDTV controlled by an MCE remote, and I like to game or surf the web on the other monitor while watching movies. It's kind of a pain in the ass to have to alt tab out of game to bring focus to XBMC to use the remote. Is there any way I can dedicate the MCE remote to only control XBMC?

Registry configs gives best XBMC user experience but requires XBMC to be in focus. So what you are after is only possible if you use helper apps like Eventghost, it can send commands to XBMC while its not in focus. So you can play or browse the internet on your monitor and still can control XBMC on the second HDTV.

Edit: look for "how to" configure or control XBMC using Eventghost, you might find a setup that you can use on that thread. I do not know if this thread has the setup you want but its worth a read if you want to use eventghost.

Cheers,
EG.

- bunky - 2011-03-05

elitegamer360 Wrote:Registry configs gives best XBMC user experience but requires XBMC to be in focus. So what you are after is only possible if you use helper apps like Eventghost, it can send commands to XBMC while its not in focus. So you can play or browse the internet on your monitor and still can control XBMC on the second HDTV.

Edit: look for "how to" configure or control XBMC using Eventghost, you might find a setup that you can use on that thread. I do not know if this thread has the setup you want but its worth a read if you want to use eventghost.

Cheers,
EG.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully I can get it all set up properly!

- kazooless - 2011-03-07

I can't imagine this question hasn't been asked and answered yet, but I can't find it with a bunch of searching. Sorry in advanced if this is a repeat.

I have the standard Microsoft remote, and with your default reg file and the default XBMC keymap file, the replay and skip buttons don't work as expected. I don't want to change them because I like to go back into MCE to use Netflix or Live TV. I notice that the left and right arrow do exactly what I want the replay and skip to do. Is there an easy way to tell XBMC to consider those keys the back 8 seconds and forward 30 seconds? (In a DVD, it does chapter skips, which I don't prefer either).

Thanks,

kazooless

- elitegamer360 - 2011-03-07

kazooless Wrote:I can't imagine this question hasn't been asked and answered yet, but I can't find it with a bunch of searching. Sorry in advanced if this is a repeat.

I have the standard Microsoft remote, and with your default reg file and the default XBMC keymap file, the replay and skip buttons don't work as expected. I don't want to change them because I like to go back into MCE to use Netflix or Live TV. I notice that the left and right arrow do exactly what I want the replay and skip to do. Is there an easy way to tell XBMC to consider those keys the back 8 seconds and forward 30 seconds? (In a DVD, it does chapter skips, which I don't prefer either).

Thanks,

kazooless

I'm not sure that I understand your question properly here, but what you are calling "don't work as expected" is the default XBMC key commands and I have not manipulated them in any way! But do not forget that you have the standard Microsoft remote then you can change any button to whatever action you want, you are not bound use the default settings if you do not like it. Remapping Options :-)

Now if you want to modify the Left and right Navigation buttons time then you can use advancedsettings.xml. Note that "Time Seek Forward and Time Seek backward" defaults to 30 seconds each.

See Wiki for more info.

Advancedsettings.xml does not exist and you should create it in this location "C:\Users\"Your User name here"\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata". or RUN this [%AppData%\XBMC\userdata] without the brackets then it'll take you to the correct location.

Make sure you use a proper .xml file editor to avoid errors.

copy the script below and paste it in the file you just created.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <video>
       <timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to 30. -->    
       <timeseekbackward>-8</timeseekbackward>  <!-- Time to seek backward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to -30. -->  
</video>
</advancedsettings>
Save and exit, now start XBMC to test.

As you may already know this setup is specifically created for XBMC but if you are looking for a universal setup that sends Microsoft's MCE default commands and yet its fully compatible with XBMC like this setup then check this thread.

Cheers,
EG.

Startup XBMC with remote green button - ruben35 - 2011-03-07

Hello

my system: zbox id40 , win7(64) , logitech harmony 700 with RC6 usb-receiver

I installed all the reg-files, ... described at your http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remote.html and it
works without a problem.

Now I want to autostart XBMC when the htpc wakes up from stand-by.
That means:
1. my remote sends the wakeup signal => htpc is booting
2. After 10 seconds my remote sends the "green button" signal and
XBMC is starting.

My problem: sometimes I get an error message box at start-up:
>> XBMC Startup timed out <<
I know this is an error message of the greenbutton-ahk-script.

Do you have any experience, why XBMC cannot be startet by the script.
Is there a log files, where I can examine the reason for the error ?

How should i manage the automatic startup of XBMC?

Thank you for some advice
ruben35