Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- LupinSansei - 2011-05-12

elitegamer360 Wrote:You are welcome Smile

Regarding the control UP and Down buttons, do you mean the Navigation "Up and Down" buttons correct? Not the Channel "Up and down" buttons!

If thats the case then yes you can map them to control the Volume in XBMC as well if you want. so you will have Volume "UP and Down" Control the volume in Windows and Navigation "Up and Down" Control the volume in XBMC.

Again Edit "Config.v1.25.reg" and look for:-
Code:
1e,00,00,00,04,00,52,\ ; [Up]
  1f,00,00,00,04,00,51,\ ; [Down]
and replace it with the script below
Code:
1e,00,00,00,04,00,43,\ ; [Up]            - Sends "F10"
  1f,00,00,00,04,00,42,\ ; [Down]          - Sends "F9"

Save, Exit, double click to apply and then Restart :-)

Cheers,
EG.
Thanks for another quick reply! Actually I did mean the channel up and down buttons also know as page up and page down. Is this not possible? Huh

- elitegamer360 - 2011-05-12

LupinSansei Wrote:Thanks for another quick reply! Actually I did mean the channel up and down buttons also know as page up and page down. Is this not possible? Huh

there is no reason why it should not be possible :-)

Code:
12,00,00,00,04,00,4b,\ ; [Channel up]       - Sends "PgUp"
  13,00,00,00,04,00,4e,\ ; [Channel down]    - Sends "PgDn"
Code:
12,00,00,00,04,00,43,\ ; [Channel up]       - Sends "F10"
  13,00,00,00,04,00,42,\ ; [Channel down]    - Sends "F9"

Cheers,
EG.

- LupinSansei - 2011-05-12

elitegamer360 Wrote:there is no reason why it should not be possible :-)

Code:
12,00,00,00,04,00,4b,\ ; [Channel up]       - Sends "PgUp"
  13,00,00,00,04,00,4e,\ ; [Channel down]    - Sends "PgDn"
Code:
12,00,00,00,04,00,43,\ ; [Channel up]       - Sends "F10"
  13,00,00,00,04,00,42,\ ; [Channel down]    - Sends "F9"

Cheers,
EG.
Awesome! That seemed to do the trick thanks! I tried doing it myself earlier but it didn't work. Guess I did something wrong. Your edit worked though Smile

- dm2010 - 2011-05-12

can I use this one GP-IR01BK intead of GP-IR02BK?

A local store has the GP-IR01BK.

Also i bought a USB IR adapter from http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10308&cs_id=1030801&p_id=255&seq=1&format=2

will this work with the remote control that came with the xbox 360?

Under Human Interface Devices i have the HID compliant device and no ehome, under keyboards i have no ehome and under universal serial bus i have no ehome,

I have a remote control installer coming over tomorrow to program the MX-450 to control my HTPC and other stuff, but he said i needed a MCE remote control to get the codes from. Will the above work ok?

- dm2010 - 2011-05-12

do you think my installer can use the remote control that came with the 360 to get the codes for the new remote control?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-05-12

dm2010 Wrote:can I use this one GP-IR01BK intead of GP-IR02BK?

A local store has the GP-IR01BK.

Also i bought a USB IR adapter from http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10308&cs_id=1030801&p_id=255&seq=1&format=2

will this work with the remote control that came with the xbox 360?

Under Human Interface Devices i have the HID compliant device and no ehome, under keyboards i have no ehome and under universal serial bus i have no ehome,

I have a remote control installer coming over tomorrow to program the MX-450 to control my HTPC and other stuff, but he said i needed a MCE remote control to get the codes from. Will the above work ok?

No, the XBOX360 remote will not work with the IRDA adapter. The Problem that you bought an IrDA adapter which receives and transmits data using infra-red signals and I'm afraid that it wont work with MCE Remotes as well.

If you buy the GP-IR01BK I think it should come with its IR receiver. Double check the website that you are going to buy it from just to be on the safe side. The GP-IR01BK is similar to the GP-IR02BK so I guess you will not have problems with it as the GP-IR02BK listed in this wiki and its known to use the eHome driver. Then your Installer should have no problem programming your MX-450.

dm2010 Wrote:do you think my installer can use the remote control that came with the 360 to get the codes for the new remote control?

No. Usually the IR receiver is what counts then comes the remote, you need a proper eHome RC6 IR receiver like the very popular HP IR receiver. So you do not have to buy the full MCE remote kit, just the HP IR receiver will do.

*the link above just to show you the HP IR Receiver, you do not have to buy it from this seller and you do not have to buy it from ebay*

Hope this helps :-)

Cheers,
EG.

Thank you! - M3Rocket - 2011-05-14

elitegamer360 Wrote:Fixed in v1.1.99

cheers,
EG.

Thanx so very much for making this breathtakingly simple. Got it working with Dharma in Vista lickity-split. Using HP receiver off Fleabay and a DirecTV remote set to MCE mode!

- LupinSansei - 2011-05-14

Sometimes I get a random error from the AHK script saying (XBMC startup timeout) Any ideas? Sad

- M3Rocket - 2011-05-14

Ran into a problem when trying to train and use a universal remote. All the trained remotes would only execute single key-presses. Multiple key presses of the same button resulted in only a single one registering.

I did a lot of experiments on the remotes trying to solve the problem. I nearly gave up till I found people having problems with this exact thing, and the solution was simply disabling the "debounce" feature in the registry. I came acoross the solution in the Windows Experts Community forums:

Quote:In environments where a lot of IR noise is present, a single press of a button on the Media Center remote can often be misinterpreted as multiple presses (a condition known as “bounce”).

A common technique to circumvent this problem is to have the remote actually transmit different IR codes on alternating presses of the same button. (And, in fact, the Media Center remote has behaved this way since it was first released) With alternating codes, the driver can distinguish whether the button was actually pressed once or twice, simply by comparing whether two codes received sequentially are the same or different. This technique is called “debouncing.”

When you train a learning remote to learn the codes of your Media Center remote, you’re typically teaching it only one of the two alternating codes that each button can transmit. So, the learning remote dutifully plays back the same code every time. The driver, running with debounce mode turned on, will ignore multiple presses of the same button on your learning remote, because they look like bounces.

You can easily turn off debouncing mode in the latest version of MCE 2004. Even if this critical update is applied. I have an HP MCE 2004 machine applied this patch and had this exact problem. All you need to do is update the following two reg keys.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da]
"EnableDebounce"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57db]
"EnableDebounce"=dword:00000000

Make sure they are both set to 0 and reboot the machine. Your universal remote should work fine!

Chad.

After turning off this problematic debounce "feature," all my universal learning remotes started working. And the original non-learning remote continued to work.

I'm wondering if EG shouldn't just include this registry tweak in the installation moving forward? I'm sure it will save a lot of people some grieve.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-05-14

M3Rocket Wrote:Ran into a problem when trying to train and use a universal remote. All the trained remotes would only execute single key-presses. Multiple key presses of the same button resulted in only a single one registering.

I did a lot of experiments on the remotes trying to solve the problem. I nearly gave up till I found people having problems with this exact thing, and the solution was simply disabling the "debounce" feature in the registry. I came acoross the solution in the Windows Experts Community forums:

After turning off this problematic debounce "feature," all my universal learning remotes started working. And the original non-learning remote continued to work.

I'm wondering if EG shouldn't just include this registry tweak in the installation moving forward? I'm sure it will save a lot of people some grieve.

M3Rocket, I have not included "Debounce" in my setup files and its ENABLED by default in Windows. It has nothing to do with my setup because all I do is remap the remote buttons and thats all. All the files are available on my site and you can download Config v1.25.reg and check it yourself. you want a proof, then go to the setup installation folder on your PC %AppData%\Xbmccustomregis\ and look for "Registry_Backup.reg" which is created by reading your own registry settings and then saving them here. Look in the fifth line you will see "Debounce" is det to "00000001" which means enabled.

If you asked me about this I could've told you how to fix it without you having to spend hours looking for a fix. Well I did not care about this because it does not effect MCE RC6 remotes which my setup is specificly for! Anyways I'll think about adding a fix in my setup that could disable this from happening in the future.

Cheers,
EG.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-05-14

LupinSansei Wrote:Sometimes I get a random error from the AHK script saying (XBMC startup timeout) Any ideas? Sad

This is simply happens because your system sometimes for some reason can not start XBMC within 5 seconds. Its easy to change so that you can give your system some time before informing you about this.

Edit the .ahk script in your taskbar by right clicking on it and select "Edit This Script", then look for the fifth line from the top
Code:
WinWait,XBMC,,5 ;wait for 5 seconds for it

Change it to whatever value you want, like 10 or 15 seconds.

Code:
WinWait,XBMC,,15 ;wait for 15 seconds for it

save and exit, then right click on the script again and select "Reload This Script" this should solve this issue for you. :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- M3Rocket - 2011-05-15

elitegamer360 Wrote:M3Rocket, I have not included "Debounce" in my setup files and its ENABLED by default in Windows. It has nothing to do with my setup because all I do is remap the remote buttons and thats all. All the files are available on my site and you can download Config v1.25.reg and check it yourself. you want a proof, then go to the setup installation folder on your PC %AppData%\Xbmccustomregis\ and look for "Registry_Backup.reg" which is created by reading your own registry settings and then saving them here. Look in the fifth line you will see "Debounce" is det to "00000001" which means enabled.

If you asked me about this I could've told you how to fix it without you having to spend hours looking for a fix. Well I did not care about this because it does not effect MCE RC6 remotes which my setup is specificly for! Anyways I'll think about adding a fix in my setup that could disable this from happening in the future.

Cheers,
EG.

Sorry about that--I didn't mean to imply that your reg file enabled this setting. I know for a fact that it's a standard Windows setting from everything I've seen and read about it.

What I was suggesting is that since setting it to "0" doesn't hurt MCE RC6 remotes, but actually helps all the universal remotes, that you consider adding it to your reg files in the future.

Thanx again for a wonderful package and keep up the good work!

- elitegamer360 - 2011-05-15

No probs :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- LupinSansei - 2011-05-16

I had to reinstall Windows and now when I try to download the setup file from your site it doesn't down and either gives me a dead link or error :/ Is there anyway you could send it to me via Megaupload or something? I still however have my original reg file that I edited days ago so I can use that after I install the setup.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-05-16

LupinSansei Wrote:I had to reinstall Windows and now when I try to download the setup file from your site it doesn't down and either gives me a dead link or error :/ Is there anyway you could send it to me via Megaupload or something? I still however have my original reg file that I edited days ago so I can use that after I install the setup.

I just checked the links all is live and well. Try to use another browser or refresh the page. Sourceforge is working fine!

Cheers,
EG.