Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-07-13

outatouch0 Wrote:I read your first post in this thread and it mentions Camelot? Is everything on the first post(s) current to Dharma 10.1 ?
So many remote guides,threads,how to's are from 2008 I have no idea what is current or what is old.

Everything in the first post is XBMC 10.1 compatible Big Grin including continuous support to Camelot if anyone is still using it Rolleyes

If you have any Windows version newer than windows XP and you are runing an "eHome" MCE remote then all you need to do is run XBMCCustomregis v1.1.99 setup from the first page of this thread or from here. It will automatically setup your remote then it will prompt you to restart windows, I also recommend installing autohotkey so that the GSB script functions properly.

All instructions on my XBMCCustomregis project site. If you require any more help let me know Laugh

Cheers,
EG.

Been at this for hours - Deian - 2011-07-15

1- What Operating system are you using? The version of the OS i.e. Beta, Final Release, Ultimate etc..? 32bit or 64bit?
  • Windows 7 64bit
2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified?
  • Harmony one
3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7?
  • I believe so
4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately?
  • built in; it's a HP pavilion tx2000
5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one?
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"?
  • yes
7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is*IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by*UNTICKING*"Disable hid Service"*in EventGhost.
  • Sort of I installed it but didn't make any changes to anything. I checked and disable is not checked.
Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method?
  • v1.25
9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC?
  • v1.81
10- Finally What XBMC version are you using?
  • Dharma 10.1

Ok, I feel like I am beating a dead horse but I have been trolling for hours looking for solutions but I cannot get this to work for me. Long post ahead as I tell you everything I did:

First I tried to set the harmony one up using Logitechs software. I mapped it but it was using Windows media center so I deleted that device. Then I started reading that I needed eventghost and to make xml files, but these posts were from 2009 and the layouts are different so I skipped that. Then I found your post on the east way to do this. I followed all of your directions but it did not work. Did I set up the harmony as a MCE remote wrong? I did computer >device >windows media center then mce keyboard. I might be getting two processes mixed up.
I cannot get the remote to interact with Xbmc at all. If I need to use eventghost or make some changes I would like to know up front so I can stop searching. Now the remote that came with the computer doesn't work either. :/ Help me, I have no idea what to do.

- outatouch0 - 2011-07-15

elitegamer360 Wrote:Everything in the first post is XBMC 10.1 compatible Big Grin including continuous support to Camelot if anyone is still using it Rolleyes

If you have any Windows version newer than windows XP and you are runing an "eHome" MCE remote then all you need to do is run XBMCCustomregis v1.1.99 setup from the first page of this thread or from here. It will automatically setup your remote then it will prompt you to restart windows, I also recommend installing autohotkey so that the GSB script functions properly.

All instructions on my XBMCCustomregis project site. If you require any more help let me know Laugh

Cheers,
EG.

Thanks, just wanted to know if I could start and end there or if I needed to read the whole thread first Wink

- elitegamer360 - 2011-07-15

Deian Wrote:1- What Operating system are you using? The version of the OS i.e. Beta, Final Release, Ultimate etc..? 32bit or 64bit?
  • Windows 7 64bit
2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified?
  • Harmony one
3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7?
  • I believe so
4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately?
  • built in; it's a HP pavilion tx2000
5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one?
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"?
  • yes
7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is*IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by*UNTICKING*"Disable hid Service"*in EventGhost.
  • Sort of I installed it but didn't make any changes to anything. I checked and disable is not checked.
Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method?
  • v1.25
9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC?
  • v1.81
10- Finally What XBMC version are you using?
  • Dharma 10.1

Ok, I feel like I am beating a dead horse but I have been trolling for hours looking for solutions but I cannot get this to work for me. Long post ahead as I tell you everything I did:

First I tried to set the harmony one up using Logitechs software. I mapped it but it was using Windows media center so I deleted that device. Then I started reading that I needed eventghost and to make xml files, but these posts were from 2009 and the layouts are different so I skipped that. Then I found your post on the east way to do this. I followed all of your directions but it did not work. Did I set up the harmony as a MCE remote wrong? I did computer >device >windows media center then mce keyboard. I might be getting two processes mixed up.
I cannot get the remote to interact with Xbmc at all. If I need to use eventghost or make some changes I would like to know up front so I can stop searching. Now the remote that came with the computer doesn't work either. :/ Help me, I have no idea what to do.

Sorry for the late reply Cool I was a little busy lately.

Thanks for going through the troubleshooting questions. It sounds like your built-in IR receiver is not working like it should. Can you please double check that its listed in the Device Manager_> Human Interface Devices as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" also can you please check that "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" is listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers as well.

If you have the above drivers listed on your system then you should be fine but anything else might be an issue. BTW you can use XBMCCustomregis setup file to uninstall its settings and revert your laptop to its original state, then you will be able to check again if your MCE remote works again.

Usually if you have a Harmony remote you will have to configure it using logitech software and set it as an MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard as there will be no need to use eventghost at all.

Double check the above then we'll figure out what to do next. You can check this thread which is specific to Harmony setups, it might be of help to you.

Cheers,
EG.

- tixx - 2011-07-26

Hi e.g.

just a quick one

Im runnning windows 7 x64 with xbmc 10.1 and have used your automated remote config utility. Works a treat on the xbmc, however my microsoft media center is not working at all. trying to open it even through the start menu, brings up xbmc instead. Even trying to double clikc on the exe file for msmc, it opens up xbmc.

Any way of getting them both to work on the system?

Regards,

- elitegamer360 - 2011-07-27

tixx Wrote:Hi e.g.

just a quick one

Im runnning windows 7 x64 with xbmc 10.1 and have used your automated remote config utility. Works a treat on the xbmc, however my microsoft media center is not working at all. trying to open it even through the start menu, brings up xbmc instead. Even trying to double clikc on the exe file for msmc, it opens up xbmc.

Any way of getting them both to work on the system?

Regards,

Hi tixx, sorry for the late reply but you can uninstall xbmccustomregis settings using the setup file because its dedicated to XBMC only so it will not allow you to control WMC. What you need is this, a dedicated setup that I created that works with XBMC, WMC, Powerdvd and WinDVD. I have it listed right at the bottom of the first post of this thread.

Cheers,
EG.

- omdl - 2011-07-31

Hi.

First off, great work on the remote settings. I just have one question about the sleep settings.

I know that you can change the power button back to sleep using this string, 0c,00,00,00,03,82,00, but I was wondering if there was a way to then use the MceRemoteMapper utility afterwards and not have it be overridden. I know I could edit all of the strings in the reg file, but I've already done a fair amount of customization in that program and I would prefer not having to redo all of that work in the registry by hand.

If I have to, well, I suppose I have to. Can you shed any light on this for me?

Thanks again!

EDIT:
I just decided to use the regedit tutorial provided on your website. I have everything working now with the exception of Sleep. The button sends the command but then a few seconds later Windows comes right back. It seems like there is a problem with my computer as well, since hitting the power button on my tower does the same. I suppose this isn't related at all to your work, but, since I'm here, any ideas?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-08-03

omdl Wrote:Hi.

First off, great work on the remote settings. I just have one question about the sleep settings.

I know that you can change the power button back to sleep using this string, 0c,00,00,00,03,82,00, but I was wondering if there was a way to then use the MceRemoteMapper utility afterwards and not have it be overridden. I know I could edit all of the strings in the reg file, but I've already done a fair amount of customization in that program and I would prefer not having to redo all of that work in the registry by hand.

If I have to, well, I suppose I have to. Can you shed any light on this for me?

Thanks again!

EDIT:
I just decided to use the regedit tutorial provided on your website. I have everything working now with the exception of Sleep. The button sends the command but then a few seconds later Windows comes right back. It seems like there is a problem with my computer as well, since hitting the power button on my tower does the same. I suppose this isn't related at all to your work, but, since I'm here, any ideas?

Hi omdl, sorry for the late reply as I have been busy like usual Wink

You've done well, because the simplist way is to do the changes manually instead of using MCERemotemapper because it currently does not support IR commands.

And regarding the sleep command it sounds to me like you might have a Debounce problem! although it should not affect the MCE remotes as it usualy does for learning remotes like the harmony. People with Learning remotes are always advised to disable Debounce as its enabled by default in windows operating systems. But the thing here you said the power button does the same thing! then this might be a hardware issue rather than a software one.

I would suggest to disable debounce and try again, see if it makes any diffrence at all. You can use this .bat file that I created to extract all your remote registry data and save it as "custom_setup.reg" in the "XBMCCustomregis" installation folder that can be located in %AppData%\Xbmccustomregis\
1- Edit custom_setup.reg and locate the line->
Code:
"EnableDebounce"=dword:00000001
2- change it to
Code:
"EnableDebounce"=dword:00000000

3- Can you spot the change here! The "one" at the end of the string changed to "Zero" to disable debounce.

4- Save the reg file, double click to apply, press OK and Restart.

5- This has to be done only once as my reg settings and XBMCCustomregis setup file does not modify the debounce or any other default windows settings except the remote buttons obviously.

Hope this helps Smile

Cheers,
EG.

- TechLife - 2011-08-19

I searched through this thread and the forums and couldn't find anything. I apologize if this has been asked/answered 100 times before. Wink

I stumbled across this thread a couple nights ago when doing some research on switching back to XBMC. I remember what a pain it was to get the remote working properly in prior versions so I thought I'd give this a shot. It works beautifully! And the documentation on the site is very easy to understand. Thanks sooo much elitegamer360!

One question...

To solve my bluray woes, I am using MPC-HC as an external player. Do you have an easy fix for making the two play nice together?? I assume it's possible by manually remapping MPC-HC to use the same keys as XBMC. I just don't want to re-invent the wheel. Wink

Thanks in advance!!

- elitegamer360 - 2011-08-22

TechLife Wrote:I searched through this thread and the forums and couldn't find anything. I apologize if this has been asked/answered 100 times before. Wink

I stumbled across this thread a couple nights ago when doing some research on switching back to XBMC. I remember what a pain it was to get the remote working properly in prior versions so I thought I'd give this a shot. It works beautifully! And the documentation on the site is very easy to understand. Thanks sooo much elitegamer360!

One question...

To solve my bluray woes, I am using MPC-HC as an external player. Do you have an easy fix for making the two play nice together?? I assume it's possible by manually remapping MPC-HC to use the same keys as XBMC. I just don't want to re-invent the wheel. Wink

Thanks in advance!!

you welcome :-)

I'm afraid I have not done any thing to support MPC-HC player and do not have the time at the moment to do so. Not sure if you have seen this thread! I made a custom setup that should work with anything compatible with WMC including POWERDVD and WINDVD.

Cheers,
EG.

- aoaaron - 2011-08-23

waking up from sleep the remote is unresponsive.

otherwise this is brilliant.

any fixes?

ive just installed ur installer. i havent enabled any remote plugins in xbmc

- aoaaron - 2011-08-23

http://www.maplin.co.uk/windows-media-centre-remote-control-218643

I'm using this remote.

Sometimes it works beautifully but sometimes I'll press a button, the IR receiver will flash but it won't be processed by XBMC. Is there anything I can do to help this along?

Yesterday from sleep it was the same issue although after a restart+then sleep, it dissapeared. This morning it was very apparent though on startup.

(more details: I have another infra red remote in the room used to adjust volume and a sky + remote, unaware if they interfere with this).

- jhsrennie - 2011-08-23

The problem is either the eHome driver not processing the IR signal, or XBMC not responding to the keypress. To tell which it is, use Showkey from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ to see if the remote is sending a keypress.

JR

- elitegamer360 - 2011-08-24

aoaaron Wrote:http://www.maplin.co.uk/windows-media-centre-remote-control-218643

I'm using this remote.

Sometimes it works beautifully but sometimes I'll press a button, the IR receiver will flash but it won't be processed by XBMC. Is there anything I can do to help this along?

Yesterday from sleep it was the same issue although after a restart+then sleep, it dissapeared. This morning it was very apparent though on startup.

(more details: I have another infra red remote in the room used to adjust volume and a sky + remote, unaware if they interfere with this).

Hi aoaaron, JR keept it sweet and simple try what he said. I have the same remote and i have no problems what so ever! If you are using a USB cable extension make sure it is of a good quality otherwise signals will not reach your computer also interference might affect the signal so the best thing to do try to leave the IR receiver near the computer or in a closed TV compartment behind a glass door. This should help and improve your experience!

Once I found out that the brightness of your room light and specaily if you are using a satellite remote at the same time it will 100% interfere with the signal. So if you are using SKY remote and the PC remote at the same time the PC will not register the WMC remote signal probably because it uses a lower power signal than the satellite one. But if you use the remote without pressing anything on the othe SKY remote then you should not have a problem at all! Do test during the night with dimmed light and see if it makes any difference at all. Otherwise it might be another issue with your computer, anyways try what JR said to rule your PC out.

Hope this helps,
EG.

- fezster - 2011-08-24

omdl Wrote:EDIT:

Try Mce Standby Tool. It has the ability to customize which hardware components can bring your computer out of sleep, as well as some other settings which may help.