Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- Chris Maes - 2012-02-08

jhsrennie Wrote:Ah, the key fact you didn't mention.

Reinstall Eventghost and unset the disable HID then uninstall Eventghost again.

JR

I actually did mention it, but that doesn't matter now. Reason why I didn't disable it at the time is because I couldn't find where the setting was located. I only saw 4 or 5 checkboxes in the options dialog and HID was not one of them.

Can anyone point out where this setting is "hidden" ?

Edit: found it, will try as soon as I'm home

- jhsrennie - 2012-02-08

Chris Maes Wrote:I actually did mention it

OK, it was the key fact I didn't read properly :-)

JR

- Chris Maes - 2012-02-08

jhsrennie Wrote:OK, it was the key fact I didn't read properly :-)

JR

No problem at all jhsrennie, I followed your instructions (install eventghost, add MCE plugin to EventGhost, disable HID upon the next window and deinstall eventghost) and all works as a charm now.

Thanks a lot for your help, although I should've found the option myself before, so my apologies for that.

This tool(set) is really a life saver. I remember from my previous install (about 2 years ago I think, when XBMC 8 or 9 was still around) that things were a lot harder back then.

Glad I achieved my goal to start XBMC at startup with remote control available.

Configuring sleep and skip buttons - UberNewf - 2012-02-08

Hi,

I need help accomplishing two things with my XBMC (on W7ULT x64)\Harmony remote setup:

1. When I press the POWER button on my remote I am taken to the XBMC power "strip" (for lack of a better term), where I can select from a number of options. I'd prefer the XBMC stop playing whatever it's playing and the machine just suspend directly when I press the power button. I have no problems with suspend\wake - the PC is doing that all fine - it's just making the remote do it inside XBMC that's eluding me.

2. When playing a video, I'd like the SKIP buttons to skip forward\back some amount of time rather than navigating videos as they seem to be doing now. I guess chapter skip inside a DVD play is fine, but in a video I'd prefer time shifting.

I tried to read the wiki, forum threads, xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net, Google for help on this and frankly I am more confused than when I started. Confused

I appreciate any assistance.

- jhsrennie - 2012-02-09

1. I think EliteGamer360's .reg file maps the power button to the keystroke 'S' and that's why pressing it opens the XBMC shutdown dialog. You can edit the .reg file to restore the default bahaviour for the power button, though as you've found this isn't a trivial task. Someone hereabouts might be willing to do it for you. Alternatively you can use the MCERemote add-on as this makes it easier to change the behaviour of individual buttons.

2. In Eden the behaviour of the next and prev buttons has been changed to jump within the film. You could try the Eden beta 3, or just wait for Eden to be released. Alternatively you can remap the buttons to do what you want. If you'd like to do this grab KeyMapEdit from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/. Use the "Detect keypress" function and press the button on the remote, then set the action to BigStepForward and BigStepBack for a ten minute jump or StepForward and StepBack for a 30 second jump.

JR

- leftywhat - 2012-02-09

jhsrennie Wrote:If you want to edit key mappings the easiest way is probably to use the MCERemote add-on. You can edit the .reg file and http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Using_a_Microsoft_remote_control_in_Windows has all the info you need, but this isn't a trivial process.

The alternative is to grab KeyMapEdit from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ and add a mapping for ctrl-5.

JR

Hrm alright.

I might give the MCERemote add-on a go, but I cbf using KeyMapEdit to edit keyboard.xml and mapping ctrl-5 to a particular function as then I need to look up the code for xbmc command/function etc (not sure where to find that btw).

I'd rather just re-map the key to "g" for shuffle (already in keyboard.xml thanks to OP), or "alt+f4".

I don't think I'll mind trying to remap the key manually either.

I just don't like using too many Add-Ons in XBMC.

XBMC is a bit tricky, having to download repositories, then install from zip, then that lets you install the actual add-on, then it should work, but yea I don't know, I'd rather do it all in Windows and just leave XBMC as is.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-02-09

Chris Maes Wrote:I actually did mention it, but that doesn't matter now. Reason why I didn't disable it at the time is because I couldn't find where the setting was located. I only saw 4 or 5 checkboxes in the options dialog and HID was not one of them.

Can anyone point out where this setting is "hidden" ?

Edit: found it, will try as soon as I'm home

Hey chris, jhsrennie did a perfect job helping you out :-)

I hope everything is working fine for you now! I have been too busy in the last 3 months and I have limited time these days as well but I'm trying my best to help whenever I can.

If you require any further help please do not hesitate to ask Smile

Cheers,
EG.

leftywhat Wrote:I've been trying to work my head around this, I've had a dip at what the files do/how this works, but let me know if I'm incorrect here:

In xbmccustomregis.v.1.2.14, there is 3 files...

I- Config.reg v1.25
"Converts remote to send keyboard strokes"
"EG: Info button sends control+d"

II- Keyboard.xml v1.81
"Custom keyboard.xml programmed for xbmc to particular keys used in config.reg"
"EG: control+d = show movie info"

III- GSB script v1.06
"Required to make the green button launch xbmc and not wmc"

And you need to have Autohotkey to auto run on startup to run the script.

At first, for some reason, I was looking for start > programs thinking some program installed on my pc, but I later realized its just installing config.reg, keyboard.xml, and putting the script into the startup folder. Probably would help if I knew that I guess... never mind. If you don't use Autohotkey does the script work or not (so long as its in the startup folder)?

I thought that its clear where every file goes, the reason I say that because everything explained in the Manual installation page! As you know the Auto install will do all what is mentioned in the manual install page in seconds compared to a user taking about 15 minutes doing everything manually. Anyways, yes you need Autohotkey to be installed for the scripts to work as intended! Without Autohotkey the scripts do not work. I can create a stand alone scripts that does not require autohotkey but they might be slower on older computers so I just figured the current method is the best for every one.

leftywhat Wrote:Second thing about remapping keys.

I bought a HP remote (the old model on the wiki), and the Print Key, shows "ctrl-5". I don't think ctrl+5 does anything in xbmc. I wouldn't mind remapping it to "g" for shuffle, or alt+f4

If I use MceRemoteMapper (MRM), it doesn't show the "Print" key on the list, nor can I see anything that has "ctrl+5".

If I want to remap the print key to another keyboard letter/stroke, I need to manually edit the Registry right? How come MRM doesn't show the "print" key? MRM also shows a "unknown - ctrl+d5", I assume this for other remotes?

All the other keys are fine, maybe I don't like the "TV" key as it opens up WMC, but I assume some ppl might be using WMC to record tv (until XBMC comes with tv recording).

And finally, thank you for this, much appreciated Smile
Works better than the default drivers Smile

Let me just mention that the MCERemoteMapper is the easiest way to map buttons to your remote. In regard to the "Print" key on your remote, it is actually button number "78" marked as "unknown". So if you want to change it to "g" for example then:-

in MCERemoteMapper

1- Untick the "Control" box, make sure no box is ticked against the "unknown" button.

2- From the drop down menu just select "G", Click apply to apply settings exit then make sure you restart your PC.

Done.

For example if you want "alt+f4" then Make sure "Alt" box is only ticked and from the drop down menu "F4" is selected! Simple Wink

BTW I will try to contact the Creator of "MRM" I will ask him to update his tool if he can, or we can figure out someother way to keep MRM up to date :-)

If you need anymore help let me know. Smile

Cheers,
EG.

UberNewf Wrote:Hi,

I need help accomplishing two things with my XBMC (on W7ULT x64)\Harmony remote setup:

1. When I press the POWER button on my remote I am taken to the XBMC power "strip" (for lack of a better term), where I can select from a number of options. I'd prefer the XBMC stop playing whatever it's playing and the machine just suspend directly when I press the power button. I have no problems with suspend\wake - the PC is doing that all fine - it's just making the remote do it inside XBMC that's eluding me.

I have answered this Trillion times now Laugh "always use search when in a thread like this one"

You would need to change your (Power) button to suspend then:-

1- download this file unzip it and open "Config.v1.25.reg" using notepad.

2- look for the string :-
Code:
0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; [Power]         - Sends "S"

3- Change it to look like this:-
Code:
0c,00,00,00,03,82,00,\ ; [Power]         - Sends "SLEEP"

4- Save the notepad, double click on the file to apply the new settings to your registry, restart your laptop. Now your (power off) button should take your laptop to suspend and wake it up.

NOTE: Not all PC's/Laptops are capable of doing this as some hardware needs to change BIOS settings or change Device Manager values, unless your hardware is recent then there is nothing to worry about!

UberNewf Wrote:Hi,

2. When playing a video, I'd like the SKIP buttons to skip forward\back some amount of time rather than navigating videos as they seem to be doing now. I guess chapter skip inside a DVD play is fine, but in a video I'd prefer time shifting.

I tried to read the wiki, forum threads, xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net, Google for help on this and frankly I am more confused than when I started. Confused

I appreciate any assistance.

you need to use the arrow buttons on you remote like Left and right for this to work and not the "skip forward\back" buttons.

you can create a file named advancedsettings.xml in %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\
the contents of the file should be as follows

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <video>
       <timeseekforward>35</timeseekforward>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to 30. -->    
       <timeseekbackward>-35</timeseekbackward>  <!-- Time to seek backward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to -30. -->  
</video>
</advancedsettings>

This will allow you to modify how much the left and right buttons skip, you can change the "35" value to suit your needs. More info here

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
EG.

- UberNewf - 2012-02-09

It does help - immensely! Thank you. Blush Sorry, I *really* did try to locate this info. Guess my search-foo is not as strong as I thought. I really appreciate the reply. I will try this tonight when I get home and let you know.

I should probably described my config more fully:

- I am on Eden Beta 2. I see a beta 3 is dropped now though. Can I just install that over my current 2, or do I ned to remove b2 first?- My remote is a Harmony 900.
- IR receiver is part of an official Windows Media Center remote set. Works perfectly in MCE.
- OS is Win7 ULT x64 on a desktop PC (not sure where you got the impression it's laptop).
- Prior to installing XBMC and doing the following, power functions like 'sleep after 30 mins', etc. all worked

In XBMC I did this:

1. I installed MCERemote add-in and let it apply it's settings.
2. I did steps 1.1 (option 2: Keyboard.xml), 1.2 (Green Start Button), and 2.0 (Registry Config w\ Config v1.25 ) outlined here.
3. "Remote control sends keyboard presses" is set inside XBMC (system\system\input devices).

One other odd thing I noticed... last night when I turned off all my home theater components with the remote, but XBMC refused to sleep (as already discussed), I figured "Screw it. I'll just let it go to sleep via the Windows power options" (30 mins). It never slept! When I got up in the AM, both the XMBC PC and my Windows Home Server (which is kept awake by virtue of the XBMC PC being on, via the WHS "LightsOut" addin) were still running and had been all night. Is this something else I need to regedit to repair that? It's like my XBMC PC now refuses to sleep automatically since I installed XBMC.

- jhsrennie - 2012-02-09

XBMC disables Windows power saving when it's running.

JR

- UberNewf - 2012-02-09

OK. Is that configurable anywhere?

I have not tested The remote sleep while using the eden betas TBH because I do not use it! I use "S" for the power button it gives better experience :-)

But if you need it i can add a work around to my scripts to do what you want but you have to wait until eden is finally out as I am planing for an update for Eden final.

Cheers,
EG.

- UberNewf - 2012-02-09

@elitegamer360, I think what you described in post #774 about the .REG should do what I need. Not sure what scripts you're talking about now.

For the sake of discussion, you say the "S" gives you a better experience. That lets you control power on the PC, but what about your TV or receiver? How do you control power there? In my setup I have all three of these I'd like to shut down in one go, from one Harmony remote command. The accessing of the 'power strip' in XBMC via the power button just results in my receiver and TV going off, but my PC staying on, waiting for input. you can see how XBMC not sleeping directly \ preventing sleep can throw a monkey wrench in these types setups.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-02-10

UberNewf Wrote:@elitegamer360, I think what you described in post #774 about the .REG should do what I need. Not sure what scripts you're talking about now.

Ohhh, I thought you already tried what I said, well then give it a go! The scripts I was talking about does not exist yet lol, as I was thinking ahead of a solution to a problem that was never here yet Rolleyes

UberNewf Wrote:For the sake of discussion, you say the "S" gives you a better experience. That lets you control power on the PC, but what about your TV or receiver? How do you control power there? In my setup I have all three of these I'd like to shut down in one go, from one Harmony remote command. The accessing of the 'power strip' in XBMC via the power button just results in my receiver and TV going off, but my PC staying on, waiting for input. you can see how XBMC not sleeping directly \ preventing sleep can throw a monkey wrench in these types setups.

I prefer my power button to send "S" mainly for 2 reasons;

1- If a kid or a visitor picks the remote, I will have peace of mind knowing that he/she wont send the PC to sleep. {"XBMC" not always happy after sleep}
2- Gives me more options as I do not want my power button to send my PC to sleep all the time, sometimes I use the PC for other stuff after my XBMC session Laugh

And I use more than two remotes to switch off each of my devices with their own Remotes! I am not fussed about one power button do it all thing, sometime I want to play online on my XBOX 360 so I want the TV to stay on etc.. etc... Wink

Cheers,
EG.