Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-24

Talibanhunter Wrote:JR, What I've done so far: Ran MSRemote.reg, reboot then ran the CopyKeyboardDotXML.bat script. And placed your folder ind the xbmc addons folder. But when I try to run your plugin in xbmc it says it's for windows only however I'm running windows 7 64bit so I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

And I have tried to change the keyboard.xml. Tried the one you sugessted <one mod="ctrl,alt">ContextMenu</one> but the red key still dosen't bring up the contextmenu.

Eek, I've only tested the addon on WinXP because I'm working away from home and don't have access to my usual test suite. Obviously there's a bug in the code that checks it's running on Windows. Still, you've obviously spotted that I've provided copies of MSRemote.reg and a tweaked keyboard.xml in the resources\data foilder, and manually running the MSRemote.reg file (and rebooting) does the same as the addon.

Run the ShowKey applet and press the red button. Showkey should report that you pressed ctrl-alt-1. If it doesn't then there's something wrong with the keyboard mapping. Try copying my keyboard.xml again (using the batch file), and in XBMC the red button should display a little message saying "You pressed the red button" or something like that. Confirm this works then get back to me.

JR

- Talibanhunter - 2010-09-24

Here is what showkey shows when I press the red button

And here is the keyboard file that is copied into c:\users\home\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata\keymaps Image

But when I press the red or one of the other colored buttons nothing shows in xbmc.

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-25

Talibanhunter Wrote:Here is what showkey shows when I press the red button

And here is the keyboard file that is copied into c:\users\home\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata\keymaps

But when I press the red or one of the other colored buttons nothing shows in xbmc.

Ah, how embarrassing! There is an error in the keyboard.xml I supplied. The last line is missing: the file should end:

Code:
<!-- Blue button: ctrl-alt-4: this is a placeholder -->
      <four mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, Blue button, 3)</four>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

If you edit the file in Notepad and add the missing:

Code:
</keymap>

line the red button should work.

JR

- elitegamer360 - 2010-09-29

Just updating I am about 70% done with the tutorial, minor things are left, but sorry for taking that long as I do not have a lot of time to spare and working hard to make the tutorial as easy as ABC so people would understand the process in no time. Smile

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-09-29

elitegamer360 Wrote:Just updating I am about 70% done with the tutorial, minor things are left, but sorry for taking that long as I do not have a lot of time to spare and working hard to make the tutorial as easy as ABC so people would understand the process in no time. Smile

That are great news!
I'll keep checking your thread. Big Grin

- tocheeba - 2010-10-02

Thank you SO much! This works GREAT!!!

I do have one issue. I downloaded the newest version you've posted. I can turn subtitles on/off. However, I can't switch subtitles (languages). I hit the green/yellow/red/blue buttons and nothing happens. No other button seems to be switching them either. Can you help me figure this out? Perhaps help me create a new xml or reg file for this?

Thanks Smile
XBMC NOOB Smile

- elitegamer360 - 2010-10-02

tocheeba Wrote:Thank you SO much! This works GREAT!!!

I do have one issue. I downloaded the newest version you've posted. I can turn subtitles on/off. However, I can't switch subtitles (languages). I hit the green/yellow/red/blue buttons and nothing happens. No other button seems to be switching them either. Can you help me figure this out? Perhaps help me create a new xml or reg file for this?

Thanks Smile
XBMC NOOB Smile

Thank you for your support Smile

You see you can not switch subtitles (languages) because I have not added it to the latest reg update yet. I will do that for you in the next update I will assign it to one of the coloured buttons Smile

I can do it in a second but please be patient with me as I am away from home this weekend and away from my pc so update is not possible I will try to upload the update on Monday evening hopefully.

Cheers.

- elitegamer360 - 2010-10-04

tocheeba Wrote:Thank you SO much! This works GREAT!!!

Thanks Smile
XBMC NOOB Smile

Now updated green button to cycle subtitles for you. Nod

Edit: please Download latest v1.20.1b from page 1.

Green Start button stopped working - turnip - 2010-10-09

Hi,
Wanted first to say thank you for getting the RC6 remote working as it should - had various shortcomings with other methods that always resulted in one or two critical buttons working since I've switched to win xbmc from live.

I've installed the latest keymap and reg file (1.20b?), and everything in XBMC is now perfect as far as I can tell, the only thing now is my Green start button won't launch XBMC from the desktop.

I've created the shortcut with

CTRL+SHIFT+W

and

CTLR+SHIFT+X

Neither work from the green button. Keyboard press at the desktop does launch XBMC though.

I had previously installed the modified ehome.exe (MCE exec) which was tied to the Green start button to launch XBMC, and this was working fine until I installed the reg file you provided. Now nothing.

I've checked to see that XBMC hasn't crashed in task manager, and there are no XBMC processes hanging about after exiting XBMC.

After a fresh restart, the Green Start button doesn't work either.

when creating the shortcuts, if I press the Green start button, it doesn't populate the shortcut field (if it is supposed to as one other user mentioned).

I'm a bit stuck. The only thing that has changed is the install of your reg file.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Haven't run the showkey since your patch - if I Install the test config .reg will it mess with your install?

Thanks in advance & keep up the great work Smile

Running Dharma b2, your patch 1.20b,
Win 7 pro x64
AMD Athlon 64 3600+

- elitegamer360 - 2010-10-09

turnip Wrote:Hi,
Wanted first to say thank you for getting the RC6 remote working as it should - had various shortcomings with other methods that always resulted in one or two critical buttons working since I've switched to win xbmc from live.

I've installed the latest keymap and reg file (1.20b?), and everything in XBMC is now perfect as far as I can tell, the only thing now is my Green start button won't launch XBMC from the desktop.

I've created the shortcut with

CTRL+SHIFT+W

and

CTLR+SHIFT+X

Neither work from the green button. Keyboard press at the desktop does launch XBMC though.

I had previously installed the modified ehome.exe (MCE exec) which was tied to the Green start button to launch XBMC, and this was working fine until I installed the reg file you provided. Now nothing.

I've checked to see that XBMC hasn't crashed in task manager, and there are no XBMC processes hanging about after exiting XBMC.

After a fresh restart, the Green Start button doesn't work either.

when creating the shortcuts, if I press the Green start button, it doesn't populate the shortcut field (if it is supposed to as one other user mentioned).

I'm a bit stuck. The only thing that has changed is the install of your reg file.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Haven't run the showkey since your patch - if I Install the test config .reg will it mess with your install?

Thanks in advance & keep up the great work Smile

Running Dharma b2, your patch 1.20b,
Win 7 pro x64
AMD Athlon 64 3600+

Dear Turnip, I apologise I discovered that I made a mistake in the registry key that sends "CTRL+SHIFT+W" I have corrected the mistake and uploaded a new reg file and btw Make sure you only have one shourtcut to XBMC in your desktop and it should have "CTRL+SHIFT+W" as a shortcut key. It looks like the "MCE.exe mod" had conflicted with the registry key that launches XBMC.

What I would suggest you do is:-

1- Uninstall anything that is associated with the Green start button.
2- Apply my latest reg file v1.20.1b2.
3- Restart your PC.
4- Make sure one shortcut in your desktop with "CTRL+SHIFT+W" as a shortcut key.

now you should be able to launch XBMC from the green Start button. If still does not work Just run "ShowKey" press the Green start button and report what it displays here.

EDIT: Regarding the XBMC shortcut, when pressing the green start key it wont populate the key for you. You need to:-

1- Right click on the XBMC shortcut.
2- Select Properities.
3- click on the shortcut tab if not already selcted.
4- Click in the empty shortcut key field.
5- now press on "CTRL+SHIFT+W" all at the same time.
6- Click ok.

Thanks for reporting this Smile

sorry again,
EG.

- turnip - 2010-10-10

Thank you so much, all working fine now!

One thing I've noticed, is that I dont need to have the shortcut on my desktop for it to launch. Guess it's launching from the "mce.exe" mod which is nice Smile

Is this code going to end up in the final Dharma release? Hope so!

- elitegamer360 - 2010-10-11

turnip Wrote:Thank you so much, all working fine now!

One thing I've noticed, is that I dont need to have the shortcut on my desktop for it to launch. Guess it's launching from the "mce.exe" mod which is nice Smile

Is this code going to end up in the final Dharma release? Hope so!

Don't think It will be in the final Dharma but there is nothing stopping you from using it. Laugh I will continue posting updates until it feels perfect or until XBMC gives full functionality to MCE remotes Big Grin

Tutorial is now online! Any one can change the reg file to suit their style, no need waiting for me to update reg files any more, unless you are lazy lol Big Grin but updates will be coming if major changes happen to the official keyboard.xml.

For now I think I can say that I am happy with the latest .reg version settings Big Grin

- StevenSeagull - 2010-10-11

Upon reinstalling win7 and doing the reg thing i still have the issue that upon a week or so, the greeen button sends CRTL + SHIFT without the W. Logoff/logon solves it. No idea how to solve it permanently. Otherwise works splendidly.

StevenSeagull Wrote:Upon reinstalling win7 and doing the reg thing i still have the issue that upon a week or so, the greeen button sends CRTL + SHIFT without the W. Logoff/logon solves it. No idea how to solve it permanently. Otherwise works splendidly.

You know what I discovered yesterday that my green start button sends "CTRL+SHFT" only some how but it still launches XBMC magically thought not sure what is this or why its happening but it just works.

If I apply the reg and restart will show "CTRL+SHFT+W" but after some time it won't. Any ways even if it did not show the "W" it's a sure thing that the reg sends the full code because it works for me every time, weird I Know lol Smile