Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2012-06-07

Update:

I watched one 3 hour movie and 1 episode last night and while the issue has gotten a lot better with AE, there is no doubt that it's still very much there.

Like I've said before I'm guessing that I have close to perfect sync for about 70% of the time. As we all know issues like this can be hard to pin-point exactly when it's maybe just 10-50ms we're talking about. It's enough to make scenes with shooting, knocking on doors etc look bad, but other than that it's not easy to spot;)

I'm back to the AMD 6450 card with the latest catalyst 12.6 Beta drivers now and i'm running Frodo Alpha 2.

The "strange" thing however is that I'm getting very few dropped frames. 11 frames on the 3 hour movie last night.
This could of course point to a hardware timing issue in some other component but that would not come and go like I'm experiencing now.

The sync can be spot on for some time, then it's suddenly off by enough to make it visible... and 5 seconds later it's spot on again...

DDDamian: If I do a fresh reboot of the entire rig I get 23.98 on the movie stats... but the longer XBMC is running the more it starts to differ... Last night the movie started on 23.98fps and by the end it was stable on 24.11fps... still without any new dropped frames. I don't really know what this points to?

So... two steps ahead, and a little step back;)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - robl45 - 2012-06-07

i get very little dropped, what does the missed counter show?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2012-06-07

(2012-06-07, 13:14)robl45 Wrote: i get very little dropped, what does the missed counter show?

I could start explaining what I know about it, but I think DDDamian will be able to explain it much more correctly and understandably than me Wink

In short... you should not have dropped frames when watching a movie. Some dropped frames when starting, skipping etc is normal but when just watching a movie dropped frames points to something being wrong with the A/V stream Wink

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - neodata686 - 2012-06-07

Just found this thread. I'm glad this issue has been discussed in depth. Running a 6570 with an i3. If you set XBMC to sync the display to the file I see 24p on my TV and 23.976 displayed in the overlay. Shouldn't it be setting the display to 23hz (AMD's closest to 23.976 is 23.978 I believe).

Or is the best method just setting it manually in CCC? Ideally I want XBMC to switch based upon the file...

Going to try the latest nightly build tonight (still on 11.0 not AE yet). I'm hoping this fixes the sync issues but from what I've read in ITT it doesn't appear so...

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - ix400 - 2012-06-07

... This is a good point. Does XBMC really switch into the 23hz mode for 23.976 fps files? Does it distinguish between the 24hz and 23hz modes of the graphics card?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - ix400 - 2012-06-07

Is there a tool for windows that shows the exact refresh rate of a given setting? XBMC doesn't show it very precisely.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - neodata686 - 2012-06-07

So not to reiterate what everyone has said but I've read through this thread and there doesn't seem to be one good solution other than manually fixing the delay for 24p DTS files. Any other tips?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - griffin - 2012-06-07

This is my workaround for 24p audio sync issues, it may or may not work for you, it works great for me.

Ubuntu 12.04 - gt520 hdmi - e4600 cpu

vdapu - on
adjust display refresh rate to match - on
sync playback to display - on
A/V sync method - resample audio

I also disabled dts & dd to my receiver so it gets fed the re-sampled PCM.

***vertical blank sync*** : disabled

^^^^ Disabling vertical sync was the critical setting that fixed my audio delay issues. I do not get any tearing during playback ( or tearing tests ) as sync playback to display provides excellent 'artificial' vertical sync? If there is an OSD rendered over the playback tearing sometimes occurs right at the edge of the OSD section.

Before this I always had to mess around with audio delay of around 200-300ms on 24p sources.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - PsychoCheF - 2012-06-07

A longshot:

Is it possible to enable (or tweak something to do it) "Debug log" while playing a movie, say whit a keyboard key?

If I could do that I could start logging when the error appears, and produce a more readable log file, instead of having it enabled for days just recording useless data.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2012-06-08

(2012-06-07, 22:59)griffin Wrote: ^^^^ Disabling vertical sync was the critical setting that fixed my audio delay issues. I do not get any tearing during playback ( or tearing tests ) as sync playback to display provides excellent 'artificial' vertical sync? If there is an OSD rendered over the playback tearing sometimes occurs right at the edge of the OSD section.

Before this I always had to mess around with audio delay of around 200-300ms on 24p sources.

@griffin
This is interesting. I will play around with this and see what results I get ASAP.

@anyone
Is tearing the only possible "downside" to turning vertical blank sync off?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - djon - 2012-06-08

(2012-05-18, 14:37)DDDamian Wrote: Heh, never tried a slideshow with it. The interesting thing is I have no sync issues almost regardless of settings. The two I always have specifically set are: always run true fullscreen (never a fullscreen window) and never use Sync to Display.

In Catalyst Control Center makes sure you have added 1080p24 to the list of supported resolutions under "My FlatPanel TV"

Big Grin You do know that the sync issues with 24p only occur when you sync to display right? So if you don't use it, you'll not have any sync issues but only choppy video instead...

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2012-06-08

@djon

What DDDamian is referring to is the "Sync playback to display option", not the "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" option as far as I know.

The audio-sync issue occurs when you enable "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" forcing the screen refresh rate to 24p for instance.

It's easy to mix the two options with each otherWink

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - PsychoCheF - 2012-06-08

(2012-06-07, 22:59)griffin Wrote: This is my workaround for 24p audio sync issues, it may or may not work for you, it works great for me.

Ubuntu 12.04 - gt520 hdmi - e4600 cpu

vdapu - on
adjust display refresh rate to match - on
sync playback to display - on
A/V sync method - resample audio

I also disabled dts & dd to my receiver so it gets fed the re-sampled PCM.

***vertical blank sync*** : disabled

I think your settings are wrong?
First, if you have both "adjust display refresh rate to match video" & "sync playback to display" these two options work against each other.

Then if you disable DTS & DD you don't get surround (I don't think xbmc converts a DTS, DD track to multichannel PCM?)

At last it seem like most user that have this sync problem is using windows.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Skram0 - 2012-06-09

(2012-06-08, 21:17)PsychoCheF Wrote: At last it seem like most user that have this sync problem is using windows.
There's the key note, "most user". Even non-windows users get this problem too. I was thinking about switching from Windows to Linux just so I didn't have this issue, but reading posts it appears it's there too. I don't think I can avoid this.

Some people have said it's the video card's fault. Because the video is slow and delayed, you have to delay the audio to match. I'd hate to waste money on multiple video cards in hopes I'd find one that can handle 23.976 and sync with audio. This is the only annoying issue I have with XBMC that always needs attention when playing multiple video source files like 24p and non 24p.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2012-06-09

I'm in the same situation. I only haveone really big issue with XBMC, and that's the 24p audio sync issue:/

I've been through several GPU's. Luckily I live in Norway so buying and returning cards is no issue... I've just returned a Nvidia GT520 card. That was all over the map...
Currently I'm running on a AMD 6450 and it's pretty good but not perfect.
I'm going to order a Nvidia 430 card next week and see if that is better... The source-problem here is XBMC, but if I can find a workaround by buying the absolutely best hardware for the job, I'll do itWink