Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - nelson01 - 2012-09-13

A Denon AVR-3312CI

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - DDDamian - 2012-09-13

Denon's (like most AVRs) have a delay setting, or you can use the one built into XBMC

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - nelson01 - 2012-09-13

Okay, I made some changes I now I get sync that's on par with my CE devices using my HTPC.

Here's what's different:

1. Replaced ATI HD6450 with HD6570
2. Updated to the Catalyst 12.8 driver
3. Installed XBMC 12.0 Frodo Alpha 2
4. Adding the advancedsettings.xml file below

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <video>
      <adjustrefreshrate>
         <override>
            <fps>23.976</fps>      
            <refresh>23.976</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>24</fps>      
            <refresh>24</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>29.97</fps>
            <refresh>29.97</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>30</fps>
            <refresh>30</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>59.94</fps>      
            <refresh>59.94</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>60</fps>      
            <refresh>60</refresh>
         </override>
      </adjustrefreshrate>
   </video>
</advancedsettings>

I'm booting directly into XBMC as a shell and using a windows logon script to run CLIstart.exe (Catalyst Control Center). I've enabled all of the sync options in XBMC (sync to display, adjust refresh rate with a 4 second pause). I've wrestled with this for a long time and tried several hardware/software combos. It seems I've finally found one that works. Maybe it's the new Catalyst driver. I also noticed that it doesn't steal focus away from XBMC anymore (at least not yet). There is still some sync lost to propagation through the AVR, but it's the same as everything else that I have connected to it.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - meridius - 2012-09-14

(2012-09-13, 20:00)DDDamian Wrote: Denon's (like most AVRs) have a delay setting, or you can use the one built into XBMC

What ati driver version u using as I am just woundering.

Cheers

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - DDDamian - 2012-09-14

@meridius - using those that came with CCC 12.6 - there are later versions (12.8 is out now)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - robl45 - 2012-09-15

(2012-09-13, 23:48)nelson01 Wrote: Okay, I made some changes I now I get sync that's on par with my CE devices using my HTPC.

Here's what's different:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <video>
      <adjustrefreshrate>
         <override>
            <fps>23.976</fps>      
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>24</fps>      
            <refresh>24</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>29.97</fps>
            <refresh>29.97</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>30</fps>
            <refresh>30</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>59.94</fps>      
            <refresh>59.94</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>60</fps>      
            <refresh>60</refresh>
         </override>
      </adjustrefreshrate>
   </video>
</advancedsettings>

I'm booting directly into XBMC as a shell and using a windows logon script to run CLIstart.exe (Catalyst Control Center). I've enabled all of the sync options in XBMC (sync to display, adjust refresh rate with a 4 second pause). I've wrestled with this for a long time and tried several hardware/software combos. It seems I've finally found one that works. Maybe it's the new Catalyst driver. I also noticed that it doesn't steal focus away from XBMC anymore (at least not yet). There is still some sync lost to propagation through the AVR, but it's the same as everything else that I have connected to it.

is the missed counter increasing when you look at the OSD? for 24p material?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - nelson01 - 2012-09-15

No, the missed counter does not increment

Hmm, wish it would work for me, really like to go back to just one player

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2012-09-15

(2012-09-15, 00:00)robl45 Wrote:
(2012-09-13, 23:48)nelson01 Wrote: Okay, I made some changes I now I get sync that's on par with my CE devices using my HTPC.

Here's what's different:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <video>
      <adjustrefreshrate>
         <override>
            <fps>23.976</fps>      
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>24</fps>      
            <refresh>24</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>29.97</fps>
            <refresh>29.97</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>30</fps>
            <refresh>30</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>59.94</fps>      
            <refresh>59.94</refresh>
         </override>
         <override>
            <fps>60</fps>      
            <refresh>60</refresh>
         </override>
      </adjustrefreshrate>
   </video>
</advancedsettings>

is the missed counter increasing when you look at the OSD? for 24p material?
Read so much here recently that I may have misread something somewhere along the line. I'm making an assumption here that nelson is connectiong via HDMI and bitstreaming. If so I was under the impression that 'sync to display' like reclock and similar programmes had no effect on the end product. Therefore rob he would be unlikely to see any missed counter increases - no? You on the other hand do not use HDMI if I remember correctly, therefore a fundamental difference and likely the reason why you see it and he doesn't.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - nelson01 - 2012-09-15

I've seen the missed counter increase while bitstreaming when using intel and nvidia graphics. I've also seen it increment continuously and never see a dropped frame or presentation glitch. You can hear the audio samples being dropped or repeated when sync to display is enabled with bitstreaming if the sync starts getting bad.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - meridius - 2012-09-15

(2012-09-14, 19:59)DDDamian Wrote: @meridius - using those that came with CCC 12.6 - there are later versions (12.8 is out now)

Cheers was wondering why u have not got the most recent version ? Is there a reason

Going to try the hd audio version soon

Can u help on this

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140354

I was just wanting to know if this is the best way to try this version out without altering my orig install

Cheers

(2012-09-15, 12:00)nelson01 Wrote: I've seen the missed counter increase while bitstreaming when using intel and nvidia graphics. I've also seen it increment continuously and never see a dropped frame or presentation glitch. You can hear the audio samples being dropped or repeated when sync to display is enabled with bitstreaming if the sync starts getting bad.

I dont' think you'd see a dropped frame or glitch, what happens is the audio just starts getting out of sync, at least that is what happened for me. AMD maybe is better with sync to display although I can't imagine it would be graphic card related as it works fine on every frequency except 24hz.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Hotpocketdeath - 2012-09-16

Since I began using XBMC with 24hz playback, I have been battling this sync problem.

I switched to the nightlies to use the new audio engine, and it did help a little, but I still have sync issues and I have been constantly tweaking and trying settings to resolve the issue, but still can't quite get it right.

I've been trying to use the advancedsettings.xml to adjust the delay, but it's not working.  It's like it's not reading any of the settings in the xml at all.  Did the nightlies remove the Global AV patch?  With my receiver delay set to 120ms, there is no difference in sync when the delay in the xml set to 200 or removing the xml completely.  With that much delay specified, the audio should be distinctly out of sync at one point or another, but it's not.  So it tell me that the settings isn't being read in XBMC.

Not my permanent settings, just an example of my xml.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <latency>
      <delay>0</delay>
      <refresh>
        <min>23</min>
        <max>24</max>
        <delay>200</delay>
      </refresh>
    </latency>
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

The next issue is once I get it as close to in sync as I can with the receiver, I can't pause the video.  Pausing a video results in a significant change in the delay.  So if it was in sync, it isn't any longer.  I have to completely stop the videos and start playback again to keep things in sync.

OS Version:win 7 64bit
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6320
HTPC Make and Model: Zotac AD-04
Soundcard: AMD High Definition Audio Device (Over HDMI)
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR609
XBMC Build: Nightly 20120828
XBMC Settings:Off or sync to display Video Clock (Resample Audio). Both same result.
Container/codecs: MP4 video=h.264 audio=AAC-LC 5.1

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - robl45 - 2012-09-16

i could pause when i used the built in player, it would just take 3-10 times to get it to sync up again. hate to sound like a broken record, but i really believe if sync to display was fixed, 80+% of these issues would go away.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Voyager - 2012-09-16

(2012-09-16, 05:37)Hotpocketdeath Wrote: OS Version:win 7 64bit
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6320
HTPC Make and Model: Zotac AD-04
Soundcard: AMD High Definition Audio Device (Over HDMI)
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR609
XBMC Build: Nightly 20120828
XBMC Settings:Off or sync to display Video Clock (Resample Audio). Both same result.
Container/codecs: MP4 video=h.264 audio=AAC-LC 5.1

I suggest you try a more recent nightly. There was a fix recently re the precision of timer that caused a lot of issues with fps, delays etc.