Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - DDDamian - 2012-09-25

(2012-09-23, 01:07)davilla Wrote: HAHAHA, 0.0004s -> 400 microseconds. The human physiology is unable to detect changes on that time scale be it hearing or vision.

@davilla - hope you caught the humour in that lol (you usually do Wink) Read back a couple of pages...

@chris et al - I've found the transcoding issue - patch coming in next few days. FYI it would have been there since the AE merge back in May or so. Will post in the AE Windows development thread when I've upped the patch.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - chris.j.schultz - 2012-09-25

(2012-09-25, 02:38)DDDamian Wrote: @chris et al - I've found the transcoding issue - patch coming in next few days. FYI it would have been there since the AE merge back in May or so. Will post in the AE Windows development thread when I've upped the patch.

Nice work!

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - mika91 - 2012-09-28

Hi,

I having audio delay with my 24p materials too.
My setup is AMD Llano with Sony TV and external stereo DAC+Amp.

I'm not sure the problem is refresh rate (in my case), neither thaht TV or audio receiver are faulty.
The "adjust refresh rate" is enabled in my settings, and enabling/disabling "Vertical Synchronization" only do the trick..
In both case, my TV show "1080/24p 10 bit" (as expected because of refresh rate adjust) but without vertical synchro everything is ok: no delay!

So I think it's not a delay due to the TV or audio receiver.
Only GPU seesm faulty to me.
I'll do more tests next week, to compare DTS/DD delay and playing with refresh rate/vert. synchro combinations.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - robl45 - 2012-09-28

if you turn off vertical sync, usually you will get tearing.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - mika91 - 2012-09-28

yes, a lots of tearing without vertical sync.
My post was only to try to determine what is the faulty part: xbmc, gpu, tv, receiver...

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - FernetMenta - 2012-09-30

It looks like that the a/v desync at 24p is not directly related to XBMC. It's more a video delay which can even be observed with other applications.
After some research I found the following information. TV can use the DDC line of HDMI to report audio and video delay back to the source. If there is a chance to pick up this info we can adjust a/v sync automatically.
Not sure yet if the video delay is a constant for certain refresh rates but it looks like it is. So users can set the delay in advanced settings.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - fritsch - 2012-09-30

We started a call for testing here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141646&pid=1202745#pid1202745

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - cnewton2k - 2012-10-08

does anyone know if this issue has been fixed in alpha 6?

I am currently running alpha 4 and it works ok juts a few crashes every now and then.

Ideally i would like to upgrade to alpha 6, however when i tired 5 i had the lipsync issue!

Cheers

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jasjeet - 2012-10-23

Can some one help me with my problem?
Using the latest stable build my sync is fine at the start of the film, but as it progresses the sync gets worse and worse.

This is my hardware
i5 3470T, HD2500, HDMI to Onkyo Receiver which has HDMI to LG TV.

Im mainly playing MKV with DTS or DD that are recorded at 23.976fps. I have XBMC to change refresh rate according to the media, so the TV switches into 24p mode when the movie begins.
Ive tried messing with sync playback to display but that has not helped. Audio output is set to WASAPI. I noticed that the video is not dropping any frames when i pressed the 'O' key.

Im now trying the nightly builds to see if they have helped.

Any help?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - nebrunner - 2012-10-24

right now running eden bitstreaming build and I just cannot use 24p due to lip sync issues, which is unfortunate as I hate the 3:2 pulldown judder at 60hz. Do you guys think all sync issues will be resolved by frodo final?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - flanger216 - 2012-10-25

I too get lip sync issues (including recent nightlies), and I'm convinced it's specifically a vsync issue. I've noticed that XBMC's GUI is very responsive when vsync is disabled --- but when I enable it, there's a noticeable mouse lag. If mouse input is visibly lagging, then it follows that video might be delayed systematically. And sure enough, when I disable vsync, I go back to instantaneous input response and have no lip-sync issues at all. I've also noticed similar lag issues in games (both mouse and audio) when vsync is enabled, but not all.

It's still curious that everyone doesn't experience this, as I doubt it's a matter of simply not seeing it. It's way beyond reasonable tolerance levels on my setup --- my wife noticed it, unprompted. Thankfully I get very little tearing with vsync disabled (practically none at 24hz), so I just leave vsync off. But what's going on? Netflix in a browser uses Aero vsync (the one built into Windows's GUI), and its lip-sync is close to spot on. Same thing with MPC-HC and its various custom vsync modes. MadVR, with its fullscreen exclusive rendering paths and such, is flawless. So what does XBMC do differently that might bog down its vsync routines, but only on some video setups? Does it initiate triple buffering, and only some drivers/cards/OSes actually respond to those calls?

EDIT : Come to think of it, the mouse lag looks and feels exactly like a heavily buffered video mode that, in older computer games, was usually referred to as 'mouse smoothing,' 'input smoothing' or 'frame rate smoothing.' Older nVidia drivers used to have a similar setting referred to as "max frames to render ahead." Is there a flip queue in XBMC's rendering engine that isn't setting a commensurate delay in audio processing? But again, why wouldn't everyone on a Windows OS have the same problem?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - alfredo - 2012-10-25

Unfortunately I too have the lip sync issue *only* with 23,976 media and it's pretty noticeable. Sad

Anyway, I'm guessing that's not only XBMC fault's, the Intel GPU drivers and/or motherboard BIOS have something to say about...

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jasjeet - 2012-10-25

I've found a couple of things that have made the sync better with 24p MKV's.

This is my hardware
i5 3470T, HD2500, HDMI to Onkyo Receiver which has HDMI to LG TV.

Use Direct Sound Device as Audio Output.
Disable DXVA Renderer and use Software instead.
Disable Deinterlacing.
Enable Adjust Refresh Rate to match Display.
Enable VSync.

The Nightly build and Frodo Alpha 6 seems to give me better results than the current 11.0 Eden release.

Now the sync is very close, spot on for a random time, then can go off maybe 20-30ms for less than a minute then it returns to sync. Ive set my Amp to have 130ms Delay.

alfredo, i dont think its Intels fault or your Mobo, nVidia and ATi also cant do exact 23.976, but i hear using 23Hz setting on MPC-HC has no issues with Audio Sync, it seems more to do with XBMC.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Skram0 - 2012-10-26

(2012-10-25, 16:24)jasjeet Wrote: it seems more to do with XBMC.
That's what I'm thinking. How come people can use other software on same hardware and get perfect results. I thought I read somewhere that they're short programmers with mad video skillz. But don't quote me on that.

I've been living with this audio issue for 2 years now. It's getting rather old. Sad

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jpsdr - 2012-10-26

I've tested the files linked here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141646&pid=1202745#pid1202745 and also report my results on this thread. I've watched throughfully, trying hard to see an issue, being sure that i've realy no sync issue, and not because i'm unable to see it. Despite all of this, my system doesn't seem to have/produce issue.
The more i read post, the more i've the feeling that it's more an HW/driver issue, than only a specific XBMC issue, because if it was the last one, everyone would have issue.