Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - bniswe - 2013-05-07

I enabled HPET on my system yesterday, verified it is on using WinTimerTester 1.1. Removed advancedsettings.xml to run without delay. Sadly it does not make a difference.

While testing I discovered another thing: If I rewind and ffwd a couple of times the missed: counter stops incerementing. I can see this in CodecInfo ("o" key). When the missed counter stops the a/v value stabilizes some, and does not fluctuate as wildly, and as a result the lip sync is more consistent. a/v value is not as stable as in 50Hz, but it is an improvement.

Also, as many others have said in this thread, if I disable vsync, lip-sync is perfect, but ofcourse not a real solution due to visible tearing.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2013-05-07

I also enabled HPET in the OS yesterday. Still have some testing to do...

However I've seen so far that the A/V value is much more stable after enabling HPET.

Will do some more testing regarding to the lipsync and report back.

Specs in sig.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2013-05-08

Well... no joy... Still the same lipsync issue as before :/

Still hoping the devs will figure this out at some point.

Just for the hell of it since this was brought up again I'm gonna buy me a new HD7750 card to see if that could make a difference... will report back, again Wink

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - cruse - 2013-05-08

(2013-05-07, 09:06)bniswe Wrote: While testing I discovered another thing: If I rewind and ffwd a couple of times the missed: counter stops incerementing. I can see this in CodecInfo ("o" key). When the missed counter stops the a/v value stabilizes some, and does not fluctuate as wildly, and as a result the lip sync is more consistent. a/v value is not as stable as in 50Hz, but it is an improvement.

Also, as many others have said in this thread, if I disable vsync, lip-sync is perfect, but ofcourse not a real solution due to visible tearing.

You can achieve consistent lipsync and get rid of fluctuation (not the delay itself) by disabling the "Sync playback to display" option. You'll then have to "suffer" through 3-5 dropped video frames per hour depending on your hardware, as kindly pointed out by robl45.

The closer the GPU Hz/fps is to 23.976, the longer the interval between dropped frames. There are threads at AV/HIFI forums on how none of the GPU vendors deliver exact 23.976 (which essentially is 24p) but also reports on intervals of up to 2 hours with certain custom timings. Sadly there's no one for all solution since there are bazillions of hardware combo possibilities.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - bniswe - 2013-05-09

(2013-05-08, 12:17)cruse Wrote: You can achieve consistent lipsync and get rid of fluctuation (not the delay itself) by disabling the "Sync playback to display" option. You'll then have to "suffer" through 3-5 dropped video frames per hour depending on your hardware, as kindly pointed out by robl45.

The closer the GPU Hz/fps is to 23.976, the longer the interval between dropped frames. There are threads at AV/HIFI forums on how none of the GPU vendors deliver exact 23.976 (which essentially is 24p) but also reports on intervals of up to 2 hours with certain custom timings. Sadly there's no one for all solution since there are bazillions of hardware combo possibilities.

In my experience "sync playback to display" is essential for smooth playback. I get a lot more dropped frames than 3-5 per hour and also sound sync can drift. As you say it doesnt help with the delay anyway.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - bniswe - 2013-05-09

I have disabled HPET on my system since it didn't seem to help this issue in any way.

But after re-reading this thread form the beginning I found that a11599 has a patch that helps with the missed: counter being incremented.

I now run the 12.2 build from here: http://subvoice.hu/xbmc/
The missed counter is now stable, for most videos anyway, and when it is stable, the audio delay seems to be gone. I now run without the advancedsettings.xml, and seem to have perfect lip-sync.

https://github.com/a11599/xbmc/commits/my_build
I think this is the patch that fixes it [win32][half-fixed] Missed vblanks in CVideoReferenceClock

I hope this patch is merged into xbmc soon!

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - mbliss - 2013-05-14

(2012-12-12, 02:44)werie Wrote: I have fixed this issue for me...Big Grin

I knew my Samsung tv in the bedroom also has an option to turn on “gaming mode”
So I went to the bedroom and search for that option in my tv menu and turned it on, and changed the delay to zero.
And guess what that was my solution.
I think there are some HDMI handshake issues with my Samsung 3D tv or that the Asrock NVIDIA GPU can’t get the DMT\refresh rate settings right for it or the TV gives wrong info to the Nvidia GPU.
I have been watching for a couple of days in the bedroom and the sync settings are gone. When I turn gaming mode off they are back again. So I leave it turned on. (had to calibrate my Samsung tv again in this setup)

I hope this is a solution for some of u guys if not this is a lot of reading material.. Big Grin

Greetings

Werie (The Netherlands)

This issue 24p w/ audio sync issue has plagued me for months. This was the fix action for me as well, 100% correct audio sync on all files i throw at it.

If anyone that has a samsung tv is having this issue try turning on game mode (menu-> settings -> game mode: on) the rest of my settings i left default (calibrated color levels).

From Samsung's website "Game Mode is a setting used to bypass different operations in the TV. When Game mode is set to "On" one of the major changes is the DNIe chip in the TV is bypassed. Bypassing the DNIe chip disables the video processing of the TV. This allows for a faster video response time on the TV. This will help when using a fast paced video source such as a game system." So it seems like the tv is doing some sort of video processing when set to 24p... might not be a problem with XBMC but with how modern TV's process video set to 24p?

EDIT: I have a completely different setup than who I am quoting, only similarity is same tv manufacturer, I have a samsung LN55B650

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - bniswe - 2013-05-14

If it is processing delay in the TV that causes this, how come it only show up in 24p mode? 50Hz and 60Hz should have the same amount of processing, an even greater delay it would seem.

Also that other media players, such as VLC and MPC does not exhibit the same problem on the same systtems, makes this an unlikely candidate for fixing this for most people.

I still stand by my experience that a11599's patches mostly fixes this problem. I have also tried his gotham alpha 3 build and compared it to xbmc.org build, and it is much better.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torch1 - 2013-05-14

(2013-05-09, 10:46)bniswe Wrote: I have disabled HPET on my system since it didn't seem to help this issue in any way.

But after re-reading this thread form the beginning I found that a11599 has a patch that helps with the missed: counter being incremented.

I now run the 12.2 build from here: http://subvoice.hu/xbmc/
The missed counter is now stable, for most videos anyway, and when it is stable, the audio delay seems to be gone. I now run without the advancedsettings.xml, and seem to have perfect lip-sync.

https://github.com/a11599/xbmc/commits/my_build
I think this is the patch that fixes it [win32][half-fixed] Missed vblanks in CVideoReferenceClock

I hope this patch is merged into xbmc soon!

Sorry for a noob question, but how do I apply this patch? Is it an addition to a file or a replacement file?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torch1 - 2013-05-14

This is driving me nuts. I'm trying to teach myself how to apply this patch. I've been searching the net for hours, learned how to navigate cygwin, but now I can't work out the xbmc file tree to get to where I need to be. That patch shows a path of xbmc/rendering/dx/RenderSystemDX.cpp but I cant find any of those folders? Except xbmc of course. Was much easier negotiating my way around the files on my old ATV2, I would have thought windows would be easier! Any help greatly appreciated!

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2013-05-15

Why not just try the 12.2 build linked to in the post - AFAIK it incorporates the patch. Sorry can't help with compiling a build.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torch1 - 2013-05-15

(2013-05-15, 08:06)steelman1991 Wrote: Why not just try the 12.2 build linked to in the post - AFAIK it incorporates the patch. Sorry can't help with compiling a build.

/penny drops

Ohhh that 12.2 build is an unofficial build? As I am already on official 12.2 I skipped past that bit. Could have saved myself hours last night. Damn it.

Thanks for the response though!

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torch1 - 2013-05-16

Well I'm pleased to report that a11599's 2.2 build seems to have fixed it for me. Whatever I try and play seems to be perfect. I've skipped through 10 different films and various tv shows and all is good. Top work a11599 Cool

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2013-05-17

I also tried this patch, but it made no difference for me regarding bad lipsync. Still about -175ms on the audio when running 24p material.

However the a/v counter got a little more stable. The FPS counter is still hitting 23,98fps when XBMC is just started, but after a few minutes it starts getting unstable...

Also I found I got a new counter called "ae". It reads a few milliseconds varying from 3ms to 10ms... Anyone know what this counter is?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - AzzX - 2013-06-03

Exactly the same issues, around 150 - 175ms delay on the Audio sync only with 24p sources.

Is it possible something to do with WASAPI?