Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- P_Jamula - 2011-03-26

tboooe Wrote:I dont have a QNAP but my NAS also comes with mysql. You should be able to go into the QNAP web management interface and find a menu item that lets you start the mysql admin page. It may be using myphpadmin interface. Once you get into that interface everything should be straight forward. Let me know if you are able to get this far and I can help you with the rest.

Thanks for the tip. i am a bit busy these days and will start looking at this in the next couple of weeks. will revert back one way or another.

- labtopia - 2011-04-03

this does not seem to work, i am giving up after 2hrs of reading the posts and everything. perhaps it would be a great feature request for the new version to be able to serve a central xbmc installation.

- clambert - 2011-04-03

labtopia Wrote:this does not seem to work, i am giving up after 2hrs of reading the posts and everything. perhaps it would be a great feature request for the new version to be able to serve a central xbmc installation.

I think what you must mean is that it doesn't work for you. I'd hate for you to accidentally mislead others because the process does indeed work. I have 3 devices all sharing the same database every day. Smile In my situation I have MySQL running on my Windows Home Server, the same place all my video and music is stored. Connected to the WHS I have 2 laptops and a Shuttle HTPC. It totally works just fine. Maybe you should just table the idea for a bit and come back to it again when you feel up to it.

Thank you so much for this - akira6968 - 2011-04-08

It might be a lil more complicated for me, I've got a weird setup.
PC's: 1xWin2k8 1xWin2k3 9xWin7 (4 Game PC's, 2 Laptops, HTPC, Music server, Game server).

With a domain setup, each person that logs in has login scripts. I have XBMC set up on two servers, one that scrapes all movies and one that scrapes only PG13 movies (I'm organized lol). So when my kids log in, a script runs that copies the userdata folder from the server that scrapes PG13 movies. Of course this overwrites all the 'watched' checks and 'start from' points Sad

Hopefully I can figure out how to use the MySQL, and the local-scrape setup, AND still make it always copy the interface setup. This way if I log onto a PC for the first time, when I open XBMC it will only show 'Movies', 'TV Shows', and 'Settings', instead of the default 'Videos', 'Weather', etc.

XBMC is so awesome, and so are all you guys for all the help XD

- pumkinut - 2011-04-10

tboooe Wrote:I dont have a QNAP but my NAS also comes with mysql. You should be able to go into the QNAP web management interface and find a menu item that lets you start the mysql admin page. It may be using myphpadmin interface. Once you get into that interface everything should be straight forward. Let me know if you are able to get this far and I can help you with the rest.
I'd love to see a follow-up on this. I just got a Synology DS211j NAS and would be thrilled to be able to host the centralized database on it.

- attilag78 - 2011-04-10

Hi,

do you think that Amazon's Relational Database Service (http://aws.amazon.com/rds/) could be used instead of a local MySQL installation? I'm looking forward to your comments regarding the viability (i.e. would it work; I'm just curious, no plans to actually use it).

Thanks,
Attila

- evanl81 - 2011-04-30

EDIT: I'm an idiot - my advancedsettings.xml did not have the <advancedsettings> tags. That caused this problem:

If someone would be so kind as to help me out with my setup, I would be forever appreciative.

I have my central install on an Aspire Revo 1600 running XBMC Live. Everything is set up there - I added my smb sources as smb://192... The database populates and updates properly when I make changes within XBMC.

My issue is with my laptop - a MacBook Pro. I have created the advancedsettings.xml file with the appropriate info. But I'm confused what to do or what is supposed to happen next. I've mapped the smb drives numerous times, but it just scrapes info from the movie db (so any changes I make on my main box are not reflected in my library on the laptop). I guess I don't understand how the laptop "connects" to the mysql database.

I've checked xbmc.log to see if there are any errors on startup - nothing (at least that I know to look for). Is there any way to tell if it's actually connecting with the database? My advancedsettings.xml file is in ~/Library/Application Support/userdata.

This is driving me crazy, and I feel like I'm missing something ridiculously stupid.

Thanks.

- xypus - 2011-04-30

I´ve been running this setup successfully for a couple of months now. But all of a sudden my movie library won´t update, but TV shows update just fine.

When I start XBMC I get an error that it can´t connect to server, if I answer Yes 2 times it continues and updates the TV shows library, but not movies..

I can connect to the MySQL server with PHPmyAdmin and everything looks fine.. I haven´t changed the folder structure on my NAS (Qnap 410) which also runs the MySQL server.

Any ideas?

- no_Legend - 2011-05-01

I got all the time the error message that is not possible to cennect to the server.

I found the problem in the mysql configs.
You need to setup the server to listen for all address.

BR Robert

- Xenomes - 2011-05-06

For everyone using this guide, there is a addon to it for sharing Metadata and Thumbnails data.
See this guide from step 3.

Now I have Mysql and thumbnails stored on 'Windows Home Server' and connect it with 1 'Ubuntu' and 2 'Windows 7' XBMC's Machines.
So if 1 of the machines update the Library, its updated for all machines!!
It works perfectly Big GrinBig Grin

- Thibaultvdb - 2011-05-12

I have a question: all my video's and series are stored on a NAS, which doesn't support MySQL. Is there a way to store the information for the synchronisation on the NAS? I hope anyone has a solution to this, because I don't think that everyone has a home server running just for there tv shows. And that those people also want the sync features.

Thanks, Thibault

- TugboatBill - 2011-05-12

That would depend on your NAS.

- Xenomes - 2011-05-13

Thibaultvdb Wrote:all my video's and series are stored on a NAS, which doesn't support MySQL.

I don't know of it will works, maybe you can share the database directory as well on your nas.

- aptalca - 2011-05-13

From what I've read, this setup with mysql + thumbnail sharing through symlinks reduce the responsiveness of xbmc. I know a lot of people are getting SSD drives to *increase* responsiveness. But this method would defeat the purpose of getting an SSD since mostly everything would be loaded from a network share (Unless the host network drive was an SSD, but it won't be in my case as I will be using unraid)

My question is, does the mysql library get accessed by xbmc ALL the time, or does it get loaded and cached the first time, and not get accessed again unless xbmc changes something??

I know the thumbnail share would be a big culprit for the slowdown as it gets accessed ALL the time while browsing the library.

I am thinking about setting up rsync/cwrsync for the thumbnails folder and run it on xbmc startup (through autoexec.py) and also maybe run it through eventghost every time the pc wakes up, etc. That way all the thumbnails could still be locally stored on the SSD and be up to date almost all the time.

What I am wondering is, should I do the same with the db as well, or should I not bother and use shared mysql? How much is the slow down with this mysql method??

Thanks

- Xenomes - 2011-05-16

aptalca Wrote:My question is, does the mysql library get accessed by xbmc ALL the time, or does it get loaded and cached the first time, and not get accessed again unless xbmc changes something??
I don't have a answer for that. If I use it for the first time or one hour later, I notice no difference. But I don't have a SSD.

aptalca Wrote:What I am wondering is, should I do the same with the db as well, or should I not bother and use shared mysql? How much is the slow down with this mysql method??
You can test it anyway? The existing database will not become damaged. Does not work fast enough, then you use rsync.