Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

\ vs / ? - czfj5r - 2011-01-03

I am using SMB links for all which I think turns "\" into "/" and I have seen some comments on the forum that "\" can be an issue...

Not sure but that is what I use and I have never had any issue with teh errors you seem to get for some reason...

- wicked_n_raw - 2011-01-03

Actually I did exactly what everyone here has stated. What I didn't do before was clean my library on all of my machines before I installed set this up. The symlink was never a problem that actually went through without a hitch. Make sure that you have no files in your video and music libraries add the advancesetting.xml file and then do the symlink and then restore you libraries and everything should come up.

Furron

- rcoops - 2011-01-03

@wicked_n_raw
127.0.0.1 should not be an issue if you are using a single machine... if you are using multiple machines it might be I need to read up on that a bit but there should be no issue with the address being 127.0.0.1 on a single machine.

The worst case scenario will be that the system will try and access the files on 127.0.0.1 (localhost (this machine)) in an attempt to reach the files. As the whole thing is contained on a single machine this should not be an issue.

To prove this to my self I have played back a movie and a first episode of a series which worked fine. So I am sure that 127.0.0.1 will not be an issue when using a single fully self contained machine (all files, database and XBMC on one machine) Remember I was using a test system not my actual setup as I rather mess up a test system then a perfectly tuned to my wishes main HTPC Wink

But you are saying clear the whole database before you start... that sounds plausible (I have tried that but not with a clean install yet).
I'll try that this evening and post an update on how that worked out.

- rcoops - 2011-01-03

Well I guess that did it:
- Install from scratch
- Update the advancedsettings.xml as described
- Create the database as described by pig13t (see below)
- Start XBMC and add your sources as per normal

Known defects
- The automatic lib scan on startup does not seem to work

As a good tip make sure that you put your fanart, *.nfo files etc in the directory with the media it really simplifies your life on the remote machines that need to read this data Nod

To create the database use the following commands
CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc';
CREATE DATABASE xbmc_video CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci;
CREATE DATABASE xbmc_music CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci;
GRANT ALL ON *.* to 'xbmc';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

I tried this on several machines with different OS's and is seems to work without a problem on all of them.

Thanks everyone for the help it is the little things that seem to make a big difference here but in the end a clean install seems to be the best solution, who would have thought Eek

Can't add videos to library - tboooe - 2011-01-03

I was able to create the databases on my Thecus NAS. Everything seems to communicate ok but I now cannot get XBMC to scan the folder for movies. I can add the folder and manually navigate to it. I can set the folder content to Movie but XBMC will quickly start to scan the folder before stopping. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are some lines from the log:

23:24:32 T:1668 M:1178746880 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
23:24:32 T:1668 M:1178746880 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 00:00
23:25:05 T:1684 M:1196744704 WARNING: XFILE::CFileCurl::CReadState::FillBuffer: curl failed with code 28
23:25:17 T:3412 M:1144619008 ERROR: ADDON::CScraper::Run: Unable to parse web site
23:25:57 T:3740 M:1178300416 ERROR: Previous line repeats 5 times.
23:25:57 T:3740 M:1178300416 WARNING: XFILE::CFileCurl::CReadState::FillBuffer: curl failed with code 22
23:25:57 T:3740 M:1178300416 ERROR: CFileCurl::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.

- bluenote - 2011-01-13

Just wanted to drop a couple bits of knowledge that might be obvious to everyone else but took me quite a while to figure out while I was banging my head against the wall.

1) If you uninstall mysql on windows, it keeps any password you set unless (I think) you go in and manually delete the directory(s).

2) I had problems logging in from the command line, the command you want is mysql -u root -p

3) there is a bug in XBMC/mysql interactions, detailed here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10836
The workaround for that bug on windows is to make all of your sources have the format SMB://server/share . Anything else will fail.

mysql library and official Android Remote - xburchartz - 2011-01-18

Hi, this may not be the right place to ask this question, but I still give it a try Smile

I've set up xbmc to use a mysql database on my NAS. Everything works fine. However, when I try to select a movie using the library from my Android phone, using the official XBMC Remote, it says that the library is empty. Could it be that the Android app isn't prepared for this type of library or am I doing something wroing?

- alexxxo - 2011-01-19

Hi, i have mysql including shared thumbnails running on 3 Win7 clients, server (sharing videos, music, thumbnails is ubuntu lucidlynx). Everything is working fine, except one thing:

when i try to play a movie via database mode it does not find the movie and xbmc suggests to delete it from database. what i figured out is, that this happens because xbmc is not able to pass user/password to the share via database mode. (may be my configuration, i do not know)...

when i start the (same) movie via file mode, the movie plays fine, and then afterwards i am able to start (all) movies via database mode, so this is definitely an authentication problem. database initially also works if i connected to network share in windows prior to starting xbmc.

configurationis as follows

passwords.xml
<passwords>
<path>
<from pathversion="1">smb://LUCIDLYNX/</from>
<to pathversion="1">smb://user:pass@LUCIDLYNX/</to>
</path>
</passwords>

sources.xml
<video>
<default pathversion="1"/>
<source>
<name>hd.filme</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://LUCIDLYNX/video_hd/hd.filme/</path>
</source>
</video>

strPath in xbmc_video database table is set to
smb://LUCIDLYNX/video_hd/hd.filme/

when i add the user:pass@ here, i am not able to play a file via database mode.

any suggestions, ideas are highly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

- castortray - 2011-01-23

hi,

Maybe someone know how to export just Watched Data from MySQL as in this plugin:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62874

addon for Dharma (working with MyVideos34.db)
http://xbmchuscraper.googlecode.com/files/script.watched.flag.zip

it create simple watched.xml file in:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Database

- clambert - 2011-01-28

Thermos Wrote:I just set this up on my WHS and have connected two pcs to the databases. The only issue i had was as others had said, i needed to pass the mysql port through the firewall on the WHS. Everything runs snappy and clean. LOVE IT!!!

Question...I have one old XBOX running xbmc in the house. Anyone know if this will work on the xbox??

Oh, and i also tried the the Linked folder approach for the Thumbails folder, so there would be one source on my server. This as well worked perfectly, but you can see a slight lag in loading fanart and posters. especially when skipping though a lot of movies. i love the idea of having a single source for this but am not sure if i am going to keep the setup or not. gonna play with it some more and see if the lag is annoying or not really that noticable.

I think your post just opened my eyes the the problem I was having. I didn't open the firewall on the WHS for my MySQL port. My xbmc machine was virtually unresponsive so I removed the advanced xml settings. I'm going to have to try this again with the port open.

What did you end up doing with the linked folder approach? Does it pull from the xbmx box? Or did you continue to pull that data from the WHS?

- NickSoapdish - 2011-02-01

Thermos Wrote:I just set this up on my WHS and have connected two pcs to the databases. The only issue i had was as others had said, i needed to pass the mysql port through the firewall on the WHS. Everything runs snappy and clean. LOVE IT!!!

Question...I have one old XBOX running xbmc in the house. Anyone know if this will work on the xbox??

Oh, and i also tried the the Linked folder approach for the Thumbails folder, so there would be one source on my server. This as well worked perfectly, but you can see a slight lag in loading fanart and posters. especially when skipping though a lot of movies. i love the idea of having a single source for this but am not sure if i am going to keep the setup or not. gonna play with it some more and see if the lag is annoying or not really that noticable.

Were you able to use the standard MySQL Community Server installer? I had issues when I installed that, I couldn't get a shortcut to the MySQL Command Line client. I tried using a custom install of MySQL for WHS, which required me to install PHP for WHS. But then I lose access to the set up tools during the install process (which I am relying on since I'm not too sure what I'm doing). I am using the lifehacker instructions, but it looks like the MySql set up has changed since the article was written. What settings did you use to set up MySql on WHS successfully?

I can get it to install if I uncheck the option "Enable Root access from remote machines", but if I'm reading the lifehacker instructions correctly I think I want to check off that option. Also, the lifehacker article mentions the MySQL Command Line Client being available in the start menu, but it is not added to mine. How can I access the command line client?

Update: Never mind! I was using the wrong install of MySql... I'm continuing on with the config and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

- clambert - 2011-02-02

NickSoapdish Wrote:Update: Never mind! I was using the wrong install of MySql... I'm continuing on with the config and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

I had no problems using PHP / MySQL package for WHS. It's only different in that you're using a UI as the front end. If you go that route let me know and I can lend you some assistance.

The only problem I had involved opening the port, which I later discovered.

- NickSoapdish - 2011-02-02

clambert - thanks for the reply. I was able to get MySql installed on the WHS. I am currently trying to rebuild my library on one of my net tops right now. A question: Do I need to use the IP address of the WHS as opposed to just browsing for the server on my network via the "Browse for new share" window and Windows network (SMB) option?

It seems to have found the media ok and is adding it back, but I'm not sure if I am bypassing the entire Sql database by browsing for the server path rather than typing out the IP address.

- clambert - 2011-02-02

NickSoapdish Wrote:clambert - thanks for the reply. I was able to get MySql installed on the WHS. I am currently trying to rebuild my library on one of my net tops right now. A question: Do I need to use the IP address of the WHS as opposed to just browsing for the server on my network via the "Browse for new share" window and Windows network (SMB) option?

It seems to have found the media ok and is adding it back, but I'm not sure if I am bypassing the entire Sql database by browsing for the server path rather than typing out the IP address.

The share name is fine. I didn't realize until after the fact that the thumbnails are not shared in the database. They are currently independent on each machine. You can copy them if need be for now. There is a way you can share the thumbnails but I think most people end up shying away from it because the delay in the load time of the art can take longer. I haven't tried it myself yet to be honest.

- NickSoapdish - 2011-02-02

I was just reading about that. If I store the files (images, nfo, etc) with the actual video content itself, can I bypass the need to share it on the WHS? In my set up, XBMC doesn't really need to do any scraping because it should be done before hand after videos are saved on the network.