Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- mat____ - 2011-11-22

jhsrennie Wrote:The stop button sends the same keypress as the stop key on a multimedia keyboard. I didn't realise this does nothing on OSX. Do you (or any other OSX users reading this) have a multimedia keyboard? If so, does the stop button work on the keyboard?

JR
I've just tried a Logitech G11 keyboard with my macbook and xbmc detects the keyboard and logs the play/next-track buttons, but does nothing for stop. Looks like OSX has no native function for that?

nyxboard power button - lieven - 2011-11-24

Hi,

do you actually get this output when running acpi_listen?
Did you configure anything else?

Code:
acpi_listen
button/sleep SBTN 00000080 00000000

acpi_listen stays quiet on my system when pressing the power button....

BTW, I managed to get the resume working using the power button. I used http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Enable_Wake-On-Device_for_Ubuntu as a base and http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ubuntu_Suspend_/_Wake as reference.

Thanks,

Lieven

- outleradam - 2011-11-24

Oh shit! I just received my replacement from Pulse Eight and it works! I can use it on my couch. Everything works great, but it did get stuck in keyboard mode once when I flipped it over.

The remote now works from 10 ft away, but it gets weak and flakey at that distance, sometimes cutting out and sometimes displaying repeated characters.

Now, it does not work as well as my old 2.4Ghz remote, but that was also not a bluetooth remote. However, this DOES seem to be working from about the same distance as my bluetooth headset.

Bluetooth is used for "Personal Area Networks" not across a room. Can anyone confirm that 10ft is supposed to be choppy operation, or should I continue troubleshooting for range issues?

- vinistois - 2011-11-24

A friend of mine had range issues with his bluetooth keyboards, so he bought a bluetooth adapter that is the size of a small router, with real antennas on it. Cost him $50 or so, but solved all his problems. He says it works from anywhere on his property, which is a couple of acres.

Maybe look into something like that? If you are using one of the 'mini' or 'micro' bluetooth adapters, just switching to a real full-size one will benefit you. Most are rated at 10M, but many are available rated at 100M.

- pike - 2011-11-24

only one problem, nyxboard is not bluetooth, it's RF

- mat____ - 2011-11-25

My replacement unit is now failing also. The direction keys need to be pressed quite hard in order to work.

This leads to many key presses not transmitting, and the range issue leads to some of those that get transmitted don't get received. This is such a shame, I really like the remote but it's becoming real pain to use.

There are clearly hardware faults with the design, which given that it's manufactured by a company as large as Motorola, is surprising. The real question is will there be a fixed "version 2" that can be issued following a recall, or should we just give up and go for a refund? I really don't want to do that because I like the idea of the product, and it's suck for PulseEight to take a hit like that.

I wonder what the latest news from Motorola is on this?

- Bram77 - 2011-11-25

Me too. Some feedback would be appreciated. When can we expect a decently working remote so I can send my faulty replacement back and receive a fully working one Malard?

- Ned Scott - 2011-11-25

Bram77 Wrote:Me too. Some feedback would be appreciated. When can we expect a decently working remote so I can send my faulty replacement back and receive a fully working one Malard?

When he knows he will tell you.

- japius - 2011-11-26

I ordered a powered USB hub and it finally arrived.....unfortunately it did not improve the range issue at all. So that's another $35 added to the cost of this paper weight.

I hope there's an actual fix soon, just so disappointing after the balls up with the delay in actually getting it.......

Just an aside......anyone get the special 'bonus' for placing a pre order and waiting the 3-4months for delivery? Just curious as to what it was since I haven't heard/received anything

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-26

japius Wrote:I ordered a powered USB hub and it finally arrived.....unfortunately it did not improve the range issue at all. So that's another $35 added to the cost of this paper weight.

I found the range was affected by how close the receiver was to the PC. I understand this is because the receiver picks up electrical noise from the PC and this inteferes with the wireless reception.

Anyhow, on My Mac Mini the range was below a meter. If I attached the receiver to a USB extension lead and put the receiver on the other side of my amp (which I'd guess is a fairly good EM screen) the range went up to over 3 meters.

JR

- japius - 2011-11-26

jhsrennie Wrote:I found the range was affected by how close the receiver was to the PC. I understand this is because the receiver picks up electrical noise from the PC and this inteferes with the wireless reception.

Anyhow, on My Mac Mini the range was below a meter. If I attached the receiver to a USB extension lead and put the receiver on the other side of my amp (which I'd guess is a fairly good EM screen) the range went up to over 3 meters.

JR

I'll have a play with it, unfortunately I have a very minimal set up (I.e. tv is mounted on wall and PC is down next to a recliner in the corner) and I don't have anything else to put the hub ontop of except the case, the only other option would be to have it spread along the floor.

But my MCE remote works beautifully and the reason I switched to the nyxboard was so I didn't need the MCE IR receiver spread out along the floor. So I'm not gaining anything of I do that.

- outleradam - 2011-11-27

jhsrennie Wrote:I found the range was affected by how close the receiver was to the PC. I understand this is because the receiver picks up electrical noise from the PC and this inteferes with the wireless reception.

JR
I just received my replacement.

Most RF remotes I have used are not as troubled by this. This remote is rather inferior. It basically needs line of sight. It wont transmit through my knee or my couch. This remote has issues. Even IR mode is limited.

The buttons being hard to push have started developing again. All it takes is to hit them too hard once and the buttons are forever damaged.

I want a recall.

- outleradam - 2011-11-28

japius Wrote:Just an aside......anyone get the special 'bonus' for placing a pre order and waiting the 3-4months for delivery? Just curious as to what it was since I haven't heard/received anything
I had totally forgotten about that. I didn't get a special bonus that I know of... maybe it was 6 months for the price of 3?

- outleradam - 2011-12-04

I think I need another new remote. This is the second time. The left button is difficult to press and I have had to remove the dongle and reinsert it into the computer twice today. I've had no configuration changes and this is a new issue to me.

- japius - 2011-12-05

Is there any point returning this remote yet? do we still wait for an actual answer to getting a working remote?