Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- Malard - 2011-04-07

jalyst Wrote:@Malard...
Thanks, that was joethefox's question, now mine:

Thank-you.

I Can't comment on how easy it is to program vs the H1 as I dont own that remote.

But you program it all physically by pointing both devices towards each other and pressing a series of keys

- jalyst - 2011-04-07

^ Can you please go into much more detail about it's programmability...
You are presumably aware of the huge differences between universal remotes out there.

Thanks!

- quintesse - 2011-04-07

Pre-ordered one as well, even if it's only just to support this kind of projects!

For me backlight and looks aren't too important (but would definitely be nice), and even the keyboard I could do without because I don't mind SMS-like text entry (if it's just for searching and such) with the numeric keys (without a keyboard those keys would need to have the typical ABC, DEF letters added to them of course).

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of audio track / subtitle buttons. The fact that it lacks those is a bit of a bummer.

- h.udo - 2011-04-07

A few notes:

- Pointing one device to the other and programming keys is a really nice feature. No Windows/Linux/MAC/insert-OS-of-choice to complicate things. I owned a few HTC devices that do just that and works great. With time users can publish key layouts to facilitate things and help others with the same hardware. There are a billion combinations out there. Just think about all the TVs/AMPs/DVDs/etc models available out there.

- Sensitive directional pad is a must. One light press, go UP. Press, hold and 'squeeze' and it deploys a completely different action, i.e. perform like a mouse. I owned an Imon remote with a sensitive pad. Very cool.

- No backlight a deal breaker? Common people! You're going to use the remote with your fingers, not your eyes. It takes a few days to get used to a device. 3 days later you're blindly pressing keys that perform the action you want. That's a very steep learning curve indeed...

I still think that it's a bit bricky to my taste. But that's just me. I've owned things a lot worse. I still do, actually.

Overall, kudos to Malard and Nate. Way to go.
h.udo

- t2ffn - 2011-04-08

^^ What he said.

- ZERO <ibis> - 2011-04-08

tyersch Wrote:Does this mean that the remote will only control 2 devices max (XBMC / TV)? It would be awesome if this could replace all remotes (TV / PVR / AMP)!

Don't get me wrong this is not a deal breaker, but it would make it have a higher WAF if only 1 remote could control everything.

Cheers

ps. Lack of Backlight / Glowkeys is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

Actually this is a very important point. How many devices can this remote be configured to control. I think that most are expecting that it can control a few devices but if it can only control just your TV and XBMC it is totally worthless. The point of a device like this would be so that I would not need a remote for XBMC and a remote for everything else. However as the absolute reasonable minimum devices that a user would have is 3 (computer, tv and amp) only being able to control 2/3 of them still leaves you where you started with two remotes.

- teaguecl - 2011-04-08

ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:... if it can only control just your TV and XBMC it is totally worthless.
Not at all, the only devices I own are the Tv and XBMC.

ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:However as the absolute reasonable minimum devices that a user would have is 3 (computer, tv and amp)

This is why it's so hard to create a device that pleases everyone. Controlling 2 devices (TV, XBMC) makes me perfectly happy - and you miserable. Controlling 3 makes you happy - and anyone with a BluRay miserable Smile

The crux of the issue is that hardware is inherently hard (not flexible). I can think of two weird solutions if your goal is to please as many as possible (note these are not realistic suggestions for this device, just brainstorms):

1. A fully configurable software remote, like the Android remote. User can make the buttons do whatever they want and label them any way they want. The problem is that it only has one interface: Sockets (no IR). Might be able to work around this issue if the XBMC machine can forward commands to other devices. My LG television has a nice serial port for this, and most HDMI devices can do this with CEC. I've always wanted to try the Rainshadow product for this: http://rainshadowtech.com/default.htm

2. A fully configurable hardware remote. A manufactured remote like Malard's, featuring both RF (Bluetooth hopefully) and IR, with every button fully configurable. Additionally, some sort of kit that allows you to screen your own labels for each button and replace the standard buttons with your re-labelled one. Maybe this can be done with a 3D printer like thingbot? Also, a devkit with the ability to reprogram the firmware of the remote itself. This is obviously complicated and expensive, plus the button layout is still fixed even if the button labels can be changed.

I'm resolved to the reality that I'll never be happy with any remote I didn't design myself with my particular setup in mind, and also that I'm too lazy to do anything of the kind. Therefore, I'll probably end up with a Harmony or this Nyxboard and live with the annoyances (and the extra remotes on my coffee table)

- Axodious - 2011-04-08

ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:However as the absolute reasonable minimum devices that a user would have is 3 (computer, tv and amp) only being able to control 2/3 of them still leaves you where you started with two remotes.

Being from Canada at this day and age I disagree. I have to control 4 devices at minimum if I want access to the majority of HD content I have access to as well as a media computer. That being TV, computer, amp and PVR.

- bmfrosty - 2011-04-08

Malard Wrote:Just spot poll, but if I could do a similar remote, without the keyboard, but it would be a fraction of the price, would people want that as another option?

I would prefer it. Both IR and RF, but without the keyboard.

- jalyst - 2011-04-08

hudo Wrote:- Pointing one device to the other and programming keys is a really nice feature. No Windows/Linux/MAC/insert-OS-of-choice to complicate things. I owned a few HTC devices that do just that and works great. With time users can publish key layouts to facilitate things and help others with the same hardware. There are a billion combinations out there. Just think about all the TVs/AMPs/DVDs/etc models available out there.

Based on the lack of detail that's been offered so far...
I doubt it's going have much in the way of smarts/programmability in this dept.
Compared to even a H1, let alone a real UR e.g. MX-980.
I'll probably get one, but I'm not getting my hopes WRT UR functionality.

- Malard - 2011-04-08

The thing about remote controls is that you only need a handful of keys from each device, as such, the volume is probably the only thing you need on the amp, the number keys get used by your Cable or Satellite box and the power key used by the TV (for example)

There are 35 keys, each key can be programmed to whatever you want. It's done by learning the individual key from that remote by pointing each device in front of the Nyxboard

- falafael - 2011-04-08

Forgot to ask is there a release date yet?
Thanks

- jalyst - 2011-04-08

Malard Wrote:The thing about remote controls is that you only need a handful of keys from each device, as such, the volume is probably the only thing you need on the amp, the number keys get used by your Cable or Satellite box and the power key used by the TV (for example)

There are 35 keys, each key can be programmed to whatever you want. It's done by learning the individual key from that remote by pointing each device in front of the Nyxboard

Hmm....
When I have it in my hands I'll be able to assess whether comes close to a H1.
I have a feeling it won't, but time will tell I guess.

Pretty sure it won't come anywhere near a real UR e.g. a URC MX-980.
But that's to be expected as both devices have a different focus & the former is in a higher price bracket.

- Malard - 2011-04-08

jalyst Wrote:Hmm....
When I have it in my hands I'll be able to assess whether comes close to a H1.
I have a feeling it won't, but time will tell I guess.

Pretty sure it won't come anywhere near a real UR e.g. a URC MX-980.
But that's to be expected as both devices have a different focus & the former is in a higher price bracket.

Hi, I can confirm it wont come close to a URC MX-980 , nor will it cost £500 Wink

- Malard - 2011-04-08

falafael Wrote:Forgot to ask is there a release date yet?
Thanks

We posted a June 27th Release date, however demand has been exceptional and so I've already placed an additional order with Motorola, as such some users might get theirs a week or 2 later depending on how quickly materials can be sourced.