Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- topfs2 - 2011-04-11

jalyst Wrote:This is the kind of thing i was talking about, no macro programmability = not true universal remote.*
Just ensure you make that clear in your advertising, as lots of people will be easily misled & you wouldn't want that Wink

I don't know, IMO its a universal remote if it can control any device, which holds true given its IR. I'm sure some people have use of macros for sure but not sure that alone is a must for the definition. I know it would be great and be universal for my devices, as I have no need for macros.

Even wikipedia states the same, you have universal remotes and then you have the higher ends which supports macro etc, i.e. its a subset of the remotes. There are many remotes in the electronics market which are universal remotes and I'm fairly certain very few of them support macros Smile

Cheers,
Tobias

- Malard - 2011-04-12

Most consumer grade remote controls that accept custom IR codes are listed as universal, a remote that can accept macros would be a programmable remote.

Thats how the UK market tends to define things at the very least and if anyone asked via a support ticket that's what I will explain, I will look to add an FAQ that defines 'universal'

- Rannd - 2011-04-12

I'll stick with using the Boxee remote. It works great with XBMC.

- SkItZo - 2011-04-12

Any info on how the v2 will differ from the v1? Or has nothing been decided yet?

EDIT: Any possible discount for early adopters/people that purchase the v1 and look to purchase the v2?

- h.udo - 2011-04-13

Written by me: Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid Remote Control

Again, shameless publicity! Malard and XBMC Team deserve it!

h.udo

- jalyst - 2011-04-18

topfs2 Wrote:I don't know <SNIP>
Malard Wrote:<SNIP>

Some good points guys!

I guess my main point was it's not "black & white"...
People getting into the UR thing for the 1st time could easily think they're getting something they're not.
But it's not an issue if you make very clear what it does & doesn't do compared to other UR's around.

@Malard, and my last question? Thanks.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=772500#post772500

Cheers all.

- topfs2 - 2011-04-18

thank you for that horrible misleading quote...

The point I was trying to make is that the term universal remote (in its base case) if it can control many devices. And some of them can do macros.

If you go to the shop around the corner you can find many which are marketed as universal remotes which does not do macros.. And I was mostly trying to say for me its universal no matter if it does macros and that I don't need it to. If it can control my other devices it is by definition a universal remote.

What malard stated agrees with Swedish and Canadian marketing aswell, one which does macros etc are programmable

EDIT: I just want to make it clear that I'm not affiliated with pulse-eight and the remote (especially since you are quoting me like I actually am answering customers). I am merely discussing it as a potential user. I like what he is trying to do and I just wanted to say that when I got to play with the remote I liked it. When I have a remote I will most likely take some of my time to tweak xbmc for the use of it as I would on any other device I'm using xbmc with. Then I kindof just wanted to weigh in on the universal definition as I think people here seem to want the remote to beat everything (even the 300$ remotes) and for less than 30$, which is insane.

- bodhi - 2011-04-19

topfs2 Wrote:thank you for that horrible misleading quote...

The point I was trying to make is that the term universal remote (in its base case) if it can control many devices. And some of them can do macros.

If you go to the shop around the corner you can find many which are marketed as universal remotes which does not do macros.. And I was mostly trying to say for me its universal no matter if it does macros and that I don't need it to. If it can control my other devices it is by definition a universal remote.

What malard stated agrees with Swedish and Canadian marketing aswell, one which does macros etc are programmable

It's the same in US market. Universal Remotes do not have to have macros capability. Learning (or Programmable) Universal Remotes usually do have macros.

Example:

Sony RM-V310 is a Universal Remote (no macro)
Sony RMVLZ620 is a Learning Universal Remote (w/ macro)

- falafael - 2011-04-19

Good read there Hudo, will be ordering mine round the 27th then, looking forward to it!!

- Bobb25 - 2011-04-19

Looks fantastic... my only issue is trying to wait till the end of June!

- kizer - 2011-04-20

Is this going to be SVN specific or can I use a 9.04 build and it would just work in Linux?

I was happy as a Clam when I had my Xbox DVD dongle working and now I'm having issues with the newer builds so I'm guessing this is going to over simplfy things?

I'm not trying to get technical or ask for technical questions, but its supposed to be plug and play and figured might as well ask "How Plug and Play"

Other than that I think its pretty slick. The reverse keyboard is a bit much for my personal needs, but I'm sure I could learn to like it once I used it a few times.

As for the Back Lit aspect. I've lived for years without a back lit remote since I can count on one hand how many times I've watched a movie so dark I couldn't see a remote.

- snakyjake - 2011-04-23

I think glowing buttons is a great idea. Anything that can make using the remote easier. For those of us new to XBMC (or any new UI), we don't know the button layouts. Even finding the buttons on my current remote are difficult to locate, especially the buttons that don't do anything. I hope no one assumes I'll have the button layout memorized enough to not look at it, at least not anytime soon.

Glowing buttons sounds like a great solution: no batteries, no weight, no major design changes, cheap. I just hope the glow can at least last 2 hours through a movie.

I hope the remote isn't bulky, considering it has a keyboard. I like having my remote on the couch/chair arm, so I don't want something huge that will be falling off and hitting my floor like a rock.

The main feature I'm looking forward to is the mouse feature. I switch between XBMC, Hulu Desktop, and sometimes I have Windows popups and need mouse functionality.

Thank you!
Jake

- natethomas - 2011-04-23

kizer Wrote:Is this going to be SVN specific or can I use a 9.04 build and it would just work in Linux?

Edit: Redacted for the sake of future clarity.

- jalyst - 2011-04-25

topfs2 Wrote:thank you for that horrible misleading quote...

What? Settle matey... Eek
It was just a quote so people could see who I was responding to, & click on the original quote link, nothing more.

Quote:<SNIP>

Yes I got your point already, & agreed with your definition that some (not all) UR's have a feature subset called "programmability".

Quote:EDIT: I just want to make it clear that I'm not affiliated with pulse-eight and the remote (especially since you are quoting me like I actually am answering customers).

Well the intent of quoting you wasn't to in some way "colour" your prior responses, as you put it.

Quote:Then I kindof just wanted to weigh in on the universal definition as I think people here seem to want the remote to beat everything (even the 300$ remotes) and for less than 30$, which is insane.

I've never said it's UR functionality should compare to a $300 UR.
All I've said is that it should be made clear to n00b's buying this that:

*There's slightly different UR's which include an extra subset of programmability.
*And that this "programmability" can vary substantially in it's usefulness/usability, depending on users set-up/competence.
*And that "programmability" generally (there are exceptions) comes with much pricier UR's.

I love that this remote is out, I hope it inspires more refinements down-the-road.
I'll be one of the 1st in line, maybe even ahead of you! Wink

- jalyst - 2011-04-25

jalyst Wrote:Some good points guys!
I guess my main point was it's not "black & white"...
People getting into the UR thing for the 1st time could easily think they're getting something they're not.
But it's not an issue if you make clear what it does & doesn't do compared to other UR's around.

@Malard, and my last question? Thanks.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=772500#post772500

@Malard ^ ?

Thanks mate!