Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- grywnn - 2011-10-28

@TheAstronaut
Sounds like time to get myself an aTV... Cool
What you describe suggests that the request querying the movie list times out.
This shouldn't be. My own library with >300 movies takes less then a heartbeat to load.
So my guess would be that this is an XBMC issue. Could well be some inconsistency in your database. Rescanning _might_ help, if it's not too inconvenient.
btw nightly from 25th should be sufficient...

@peter_rjs
Re-spacing the buttons shouldn't be a problem.
Playlist reordering is something i'll experiment with soon, but this will only be available for XBMC v11.0, since the ability to do this has only been added recently to the JSON API.

@Drol
Good point concerning the skip buttons, and easily adapted.
As for fast scrolling (aka jumplist): I've made a few tries at this already, but none satisfied me.
My main problem was getting the indices right / looking good (you know, the lettering a-z, like in the adress book app). This is fine when ordering alphabetical, but with years or ratings it simply looks ugly.
But thinking about it again, maybe i'll start anew with a neutral scrollbar...

- Drol - 2011-10-28

Thank you grywnn for reply and good will to fix issues.

As for jumplist, neutral one would be great too. Even the one with only few positions for a start.

- SofaKng - 2011-10-29

Is there any way to do a search from XBMC Commander?

Specifically, I'd love to search for a song by song title but it doesn't seem to be possible...

- tenzion - 2011-10-31

I am using EyeTV and have my recordings on my NAS.

Today I am using the EyeTV parser plugin to view my recordings on XBMC, but would it be possible to include a possibility in XBMC Commander to parse and then view these EyeTV recordings on the iPad/iPhone?

Thanks.

- maseatx - 2011-10-31

Is the "keyboard" currently supported with pre eden builds?

- gkenyon - 2011-10-31

grywnn Wrote:*beep*

sorry for the long silence.
As some of you suggested, i've been quite busy on my job for the last months.
This didn't mean that i dropped XBMC Commander though.
Since the current version is running pretty stable and near bugfree, i decided to rip appart the core of the project, and implement a totally different caching mechanism (database driven). For this i adapted a iOS framework called core data, learning how to work with it btw.
Well, after two months of struggling with core data i've got something up and running that is running somehow, but far from stable.
And every problem i fix seems to give birth to two more...
I'm very seriously considering dropping back to the version i forked from about 2 months ago, and start adding features again instead of improving the base.

BTW there is a "bug" in recent nightlies, preventing gestures from working:
Turns out the keycodes i used for up/down/left/right (found them by trial and error) have been fixed in XBMCs codebase.
I'll adapt to this asap.
For now, there's a workaround:
Add the following to your keyboard.xml

Code:
<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<!-- XBMC Commander fix -->
<ampersand>Up</ampersand>
<leftbracket>Down</leftbracket>
<percent>Left</percent>
<quote>Right</quote>
</keyboard>
</global>
<FullscreenVideo>
<keyboard>
<!-- XBMC Commander fix -->
<ampersand>BigStepForward</ampersand>
<leftbracket>BigStepBack</leftbracket>
<percent>StepBack</percent>
<quote>StepForward</quote>
</keyboard>
</FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>
(Thanks Vincent for the tip)

So long,
Heiner

(I have only read through the last page of new posts here, so if there's something urgent, feel free to give a note)

I am not sure what XBMC build I have and if I get nightlies pushed to my ATV2 (is there a place to see version?) but I lost gestures as well.

I tried copying and pasting the above code in keyboard.xml at the end of the file, but did not get gestures back. Does it need to replace a section or be put somewhere specific? Any other reason I could be losing gesture support?

Thanks for any help, really love the app!

- TheAstronaut - 2011-10-31

grywnn Wrote:@TheAstronaut
Sounds like time to get myself an aTV... Cool
What you describe suggests that the request querying the movie list times out.
This shouldn't be. My own library with >300 movies takes less then a heartbeat to load.
So my guess would be that this is an XBMC issue. Could well be some inconsistency in your database. Rescanning _might_ help, if it's not too inconvenient.
btw nightly from 25th should be sufficient...

I finally got it working on both my ATV's. What I needed to do was go into the XBMC/userdata/Database directory and remove any MyVideos##.db files that were not the current db version for the nightly I was using. I then had to go into the XBMC Commander app and open the videos display, tap on Settings->Cache->Clear Cache. After that the videos were now visible again and the app no longer crashes. Hope that helps others who may be having similar issues.

- grywnn - 2011-11-01

@theAstronaut:
Good to know Smile

@gkenyon / all aTV users:
Finally figured out why sliding no longer works.
Reason is that the public aTV version is dated 3 months back, and still uses the old keyboard layout, while XBMC Commander detects it as a nightly build and assumes the new layout.
An update fixing this is submitted to apple, should be available soon (if they keep being as fast as last week: This evening).

@maseatx:
virtual keyboard is working in all my (pre-eden) testing environments. Please report any problems you've got...

@Dav66id77:
Beta testing is long closed, and btw Dharma beta 1 is quite old.

@tenzion:
After having a quick look at EyeTV, i'd say that including this functionality would be like programming a completely new app.
BTW doesn't EyeTV have it's own app for that?

@sofakng:
Searching for songs isn't posible (at the moment...?)
The reason is that i don't maintain a lokal database of all items on the iPad, but load all information on demand only. Thats what makes XBMC Commander so fast.
Even when downloading all metadata (options->cache) the result sin't searchable (this is an early code design decision i made - i'm not sure wether i regret it, but i can't change it.)
I'd have to query the XBMC system when searching, and last time i checked, the JSON API didn't include a search functionality. Maybe it will be, i'll ad an online search when it is possible.

- Memphiz - 2011-11-01

Am I the only one who has problems with retreiving the movie list from the ATV2? It just keeps there with the spinning thing and after a while the connection broken sign comes on screen.

My MovieDB has about 140 Movies and i use centralised MySQL database. TVShows view is working as expected. I already redid the DB and got it working with running XBMC on MacOS. But no go on ATV2.

If you need any further information - let me know what i should provide.

- grywnn - 2011-11-01

Movies timing out has been reported once or twice so far. I think most of the times a central mySQL database was involved.
So far i haven't found a satisfying explanation / solution for this - except that i'm guessing that the JSON request times out on XBMCs side for some reason.

First thing i'd need to know to help debugging this: Which versions (incl. build date if nightly) are you using on both the Mac and the aTV?

- gkenyon - 2011-11-01

grywnn Wrote:@gkenyon / all aTV users:
Finally figured out why sliding no longer works.
Reason is that the public aTV version is dated 3 months back, and still uses the old keyboard layout, while XBMC Commander detects it as a nightly build and assumes the new layout.
An update fixing this is submitted to apple, should be available soon (if they keep being as fast as last week: This evening).

Awesome, I will keep an eye out for the update. Thanks!

- TheAstronaut - 2011-11-01

Memphiz Wrote:Am I the only one who has problems with retreiving the movie list from the ATV2? It just keeps there with the spinning thing and after a while the connection broken sign comes on screen.

My MovieDB has about 140 Movies and i use centralised MySQL database. TVShows view is working as expected. I already redid the DB and got it working with running XBMC on MacOS. But no go on ATV2.

If you need any further information - let me know what i should provide.

See my post a few back:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=925099&postcount=1178

My problem seemed to be related to either having old database versions around from previous nightlies, or a malformed database. Try the Clean Database option in Settings->Videos, then clearing the cache data in XBMC Commander. If that doesn't work, delete the old database versions in the userdata/Database folder (MyVideos##.db, I'm using version 57), that fixed the problem for me.

- Memphiz - 2011-11-01

TheAstronaut Wrote:See my post a few back:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=925099&postcount=1178

My problem seemed to be related to either having old database versions around from previous nightlies, or a malformed database. Try the Clean Database option in Settings->Videos, then clearing the cache data in XBMC Commander. If that doesn't work, delete the old database versions in the userdata/Database folder (MyVideos##.db, I'm using version 57), that fixed the problem for me.

Yeah ... as i wrote. I'm using mysql db and i redid it from scratch without success...

- grywnn - 2011-11-01

Things that cross my mind:
- are both systems using the same XBMC version (and thus the same database scheme)
Since the thumbnails used in the external APIs come from XBMCs thumbnail cache:
- do you have a shared thumbnail cache for both systems.
- even if thumbnails apear correctly in XBMC, they sometimes aren't written to the cache. Can you check the .xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails folder?

- The-Boxhead - 2011-11-02

Man thanks for the latest updates. Now everything works perfect again!

I have found one problem though, according to the gesture zone tap and hold should bring up the menu. and it does so playing fullscreen video/music. Could
you also make it bring up the context menu when browsing movies/music/tvshows in library mode ? that would be awesome since i now have to switch back and forth between gesture zone and remote zone Smile

also a triple tap or something to bring up the keyboard would be nice. Also on my wish list is customizble shortcuts.