Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- brownstein - 2010-10-23

Feature suggestion:
I was scanning the show Sanctuary into my library but the folder was titled "Sanctuary (Us)". This caused the on screen keyboard to pop up in order to manually search for the show on the tvdb. I could not get the gesture based commands or any commands on the "commands" page to navigate or enter text on the on screen keyboard to search for the show.

Is it possible to have the iPad's keyboard pop up in those situations to give full control of what is entered when the on screen keyboard pops up in XBMC?

- GinSoakedBoy - 2010-10-23

Name ideas:

XBMC Power
XBMC Pad

Ok, they're not great, but they are short.

I like the latest update, the poster view looks nice. The transition to the seasons screen is quite slow. It'd be better if it was more like the slide-out effect of the banner view but I guess that may be complicated to do.

Keep up the good work.

- jatilq - 2010-10-23

I just installed beta3. The poster view is very nice for movies, but I'm still having trouble getting it to work for tv shows. I've always had that option checked in settings and this app shows the posters, just only the part that would fit into a banner.

Cleared cache a few times. What am I doing wrong. And say there is an error on the screen how do you clear it? esc doesnt work, like I said I have to grab the remote and hit clear or esc on the pc keyboard.

Name idea:
YAXIR
Yet Another XBMC iPad Remote

Right from your thread title.

Or,

XBMC Board
(due to the chalkboard like look of the app)

Last one,

Media Board
(same reasoning as above, but only if you don't mind taking XBMC out of the name)

I have another feature suggestion,

After you select and play a video, have the app automatically switch to the commands page with the now playing info and OSD controls.

- grywnn - 2010-10-23

jatilq,
just to clear a few possible misunderstandings:
The "support posters" setting reflects whatever you setup your xbmc installation. It won't download posters (or banners) for you.
The download setting is usually found in the scrapers add on configuration (thetvdb scraper for example has a setting called "prefer posters") or done by using an external media manager like EMM.

The switch in my app just represents the fact that some users prefer banners in their xbmc tv show setup, while others prefer posters - and i can't predict, let alone influence which one i get.

Concerning the problem dismissing errors:
I currently generate a "backspace" keyboard event on a two finger tap. Please check if pressing backspace on your keyboard dismisses your errors (i think it normally should).
I'll check if sending an "esc" event might be an alternative, or if i might create an extra action for that.

brownstein:
Keyboard is a nice idea.
I don't think there is a way to automatically detect when keyboard input is needed.
But it should be possible to add a "keyboard" button to the remote control part that allows keyboard emulation anywhere throughout xbmc. Nod

YAXIR... I like the sound, but it seems to be zazaki (language spoken in eastern turkey) for "rain". but i think i could live with that Big Grin

Media board, media pad, xbmc pad ... sound good too.

Quote:After you select and play a video, have the app automatically switch to the commands page with the now playing info and OSD controls.
Hmm very often i enqueue further items after starting playback, or go on browsing the library.

grywnn Wrote:Hmm very often i enqueue further items after starting playback, or go on browsing the library.

I only use XBMC for TV/Movies and occasionally, the grooveshark addon so I do not do any queuing of anything which is why I suggested it. I guess it would be just as easy for me to hit the remote icon.

I had a question for you though, is there a need to have separate areas for gesture and commands? It seems that any gesture you need to do can be done from the commands page. merging those two would make it one less "click" for me to get to the now playing info on the commands page.

Another workaround would be to have an option in the settings to set your default remote page as gesture or commands.

As an aside, is there a way to bring up the gestures cheat sheet again once it fades away? I don't use the gestures page very much it seems so the odd time I do, I cannot remember what each gesture does. I guess in time it will be second nature though.

- grywnn - 2010-10-23

you're right, thinking about it i could drop the gesture-only page. It was mainly for using the remote without looking at the ipad, and no fear of accidentally pushing the wrong buttons. But looking at how i use it myself the "command" page is completely sufficient.

The cheat sheet can be redisplayed by clicking the little "i" button in the upper right corner of the gesture page. It should appear once the cheats fade out.

- GinSoakedBoy - 2010-10-23

grywnn Wrote:you're right, thinking about it i could drop the gesture-only page. It was mainly for using the remote without looking at the ipad, and no fear of accidentally pushing the wrong buttons. But looking at how i use it myself the "command" page is completely sufficient.

The cheat sheet can be redisplayed by clicking the little "i" button in the upper right corner of the gesture page. It should appear once the cheats fade out.

What you could have is the commands page as the default page for the remote.

Then have the cheat sheet written on that part too. If you wanted, as you say to just use gestures without fear of pressing one of the buttons you could then switch to the gestures tab.

grywnn Wrote:you're right, thinking about it i could drop the gesture-only page. It was mainly for using the remote without looking at the ipad, and no fear of accidentally pushing the wrong buttons. But looking at how i use it myself the "command" page is completely sufficient.

I see the "i" button but it does not bring the text up for me, every time I press it, it is submitting a "tap" command and playing/pausing the show I had on.

- jatilq - 2010-10-24

Thank you for the feedback. The problem I'm having is the fact I've always used Prefer Posters while using XBMC, but for some reason the TV Shows view never shows them. I have turned it off and on, rescraped shows and so on.

I just changed the theme form Aeon to Shade and changed all the posters to banners until its working. Clearing on the cache in the app each time I do so in XBMC doesnt help. Movies works perfectly, but I can't tv shows view to work.

- garg24 - 2010-10-24

brownstein Wrote:I have another feature suggestion,

After you select and play a video, have the app automatically switch to the commands page with the now playing info and OSD controls.
Same comments for me Nod

Other comments after my trial of the 0.3 version :

- All the film duration are 105minutes and not the correct time
- On the commands panel a language button like the substile one to switch language without going on the OSD
- A "play trailer" button in addition of the "play" and "enqueue" ones will be great (if it is possible)
- On the film detail the switch between the description and the cast will be also great (is it's possible...)

The app is really fantastic (just one crash on the first poster download for 202 movies for me) Wink

Very good job Cool

- snoopy1492 - 2010-10-24

First, thanks for accepting me in the beta Wink

I just tested the app, and it's really working like a charm! Thanks for all this work!

I don't have any major issue, just if you switch the position of the ipad when you are in a Tv show and you go back to the list of Tv Shows, the icon are not normally aligned with to much space between them if you switch from landcape to portrait :

instead of :

And only four icon in a row if you switch from portrait to landscape.

instead of

However, a simple scroll fix the issue Wink

And as others said, I would really appreciate if the app goes directly to the command page after I select a video to play !

Thanks!

- grywnn - 2010-10-24

- device rotation not recognized when going from season to tv show: fixed.

- empty options menu: I discovered that the options menu is wiped when the app receives a memory warning (which can happen rather quick. ~8MB of RAM per app isn't that much). fixed.

- sorting / filtering on season level makes no sense, so i removed the options button there.

- movie runtime "stuck" at 105 minutes: fixed.

- i gave loading movie details on list level (to get hd information) a try, but ran into memory issues. But the last word on this subject isn't spoken yet.

Still quite a few things on my todo list, won't release a new beta for these fixes.

- Jarit - 2010-10-24

Awesome! Absolutely can't wait.

The best app i have ever seen.

Greets
Jarit