Kodi Community Forum
Newznab - Anyone using it? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Newznab - Anyone using it? (/showthread.php?tid=82119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - wade32505 - 2012-12-19

(2012-12-19, 06:13)Aenima99x Wrote:
(2012-12-18, 21:05)eluSive_NZ Wrote:
(2012-12-18, 20:06)wade32505 Wrote: Below are the notes I copied when I setup the screen auto update:
In the nix_scripts directory there is a useful script called newznab_screen.sh that runs update_binaries.php and update_releases.php, in addition to a few other scripts, continuously and automatically. First, we need to modify it however, so lets change dir and make a copy:

cd /var/www/newznab/misc/update_scripts/nix_scripts
cp newznab_screen.sh newznab_screen_local.sh

Now open newznab_screen_local.sh in a text editor and modify NEWZNAB_PATH near the top to point to our installation path:

nano newznab_screen_local.sh

Set NEWZNAB_PATH:

export NEWZNAB_PATH="/var/www/newznab/misc/update_scripts"

Now we can run the script via screen:

screen sh newznab_screen_local.sh

You should see the script download headers for the groups that you have enabled and then run various stages that will attempt to group and catalogue the headers. For now, just leave the script running and detach from screen by typing cntl a d.
You can reattach the screen by first entering 'screen -ls'. This gives your the process number. To reattach you enter 'screen -r [process number].

My newznab is setup on a netbook with 1gig of ram and 160gig of harddrive. It's closed up sitting on a shelf and I access it via ssh.

This is what I did, but used Byobu instead of screen
Byobu is quite handy as you can add stats to the screen e.g. network (u/d), disk io, system load etc etc
When the script seems stuck, you can check the stats quickly to see if it is still "busy"

Why don't you guys just use the init script and run it as a service?

If you mean 'run it as a service' to be to run the script in the terminal when I ssh into it, then I would have to keep that terminal open for it to continue to run, wouldn't I? As it is, it runs continually after I've closed out the terminal and my connection.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - Aenima99x - 2012-12-20

(2012-12-19, 22:02)wade32505 Wrote:
(2012-12-19, 06:13)Aenima99x Wrote:
(2012-12-18, 21:05)eluSive_NZ Wrote: This is what I did, but used Byobu instead of screen
Byobu is quite handy as you can add stats to the screen e.g. network (u/d), disk io, system load etc etc
When the script seems stuck, you can check the stats quickly to see if it is still "busy"

Why don't you guys just use the init script and run it as a service?

If you mean 'run it as a service' to be to run the script in the terminal when I ssh into it, then I would have to keep that terminal open for it to continue to run, wouldn't I? As it is, it runs continually after I've closed out the terminal and my connection.

Nope it runs on boot and continues to run regardless. It would be similar to SAB/CouchPotato/SickBeard/HeadPhones init scripts. You don't have to do anything, it will run on boot and continue to run the update_binaries & update_releases every 600 seconds by default.
Run the following from terminal
sudo cp /var/www/newznab/misc/update_scripts/nix_scripts/newznab_ubuntu.sh /etc/init.d/newznab
sudo chmod a+x /etc/init.d/newznab
sudo update-rc.d newznab defaults

you can then manually start/stop/restart it if you ever need to by doing sudo service newznab stop/start/restart

Some more Init/Upstart script info - here

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - lurkingsheep - 2012-12-20

Aenima99x: This is what I've been looking for...

Thank you.

(2012-12-20, 04:40)lurkingsheep Wrote: Aenima99x: This is what I've been looking for...

Thank you.

No problem, glad to help.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - zepfan - 2012-12-20

Anyone had any luck with this and couchpotato yet? I've got zero problems with sickbeard, but Couchpotato will not work. It hits the site (i cleared the api hits and pressed refresh in CP), but doesn't find movies that i'm looking right at in Newznab.

I've got Newznab as provider with
http://localhost (or the IP, I've tried both and with/out the / after the address)
Then the proper API key, and it won't find any movies.

I've copied and pasted the exact settings from SB->CP with no luck.

Any help?

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - richierea - 2012-12-20

(2012-12-20, 05:50)zepfan Wrote: Anyone had any luck with this and couchpotato yet? I've got zero problems with sickbeard, but Couchpotato will not work. It hits the site (i cleared the api hits and pressed refresh in CP), but doesn't find movies that i'm looking right at in Newznab.

http://localhost (or the IP, I've tried both and with/out the / after the address)

Any help?

Just tested mine again, found movie straight away. I have mine entered as: http://localhost/newznab/www/

(2012-12-20, 05:50)zepfan Wrote: Anyone had any luck with this and couchpotato yet? I've got zero problems with sickbeard, but Couchpotato will not work. It hits the site (i cleared the api hits and pressed refresh in CP), but doesn't find movies that i'm looking right at in Newznab.

Any help?

CP works fine for me. I've got the host section set as ONLY the IP (no http:// )

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - farscapesg01 - 2012-12-20

Had a thought to help with my bandwidth...

Since Newshosting doesn't support compression, maybe a block account with Astraweb would be the way to go? 25GB for 10 bucks. Headers would be free on the block account and compression should bring my montly ISP bandwidth down. RAR inspection would use up some of the 25GB though, but would expect it to last at least a couple months.

Is it possible to change the newsgroup provider information after an install?

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - richierea - 2012-12-20

(2012-12-20, 20:29)farscapesg01 Wrote: Is it possible to change the newsgroup provider information after an install?

Looks like the newsgroup details are stored in:

xampp\htdocs\newznab\www\config.php (adjust for the location of your installation)

Try changing the details in there and see if that works.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - BrockSampson - 2012-12-21

After Newzbin2 and NBZMatrix wend down I installed newznab with my existing unlimited NNTP account to test it out and I liked it, so I bought an Atraweb block and enabled compression (you can change the provider by directly editing the config.php file). With 12 groups, the default non-english blacklists enabled, header compression, and shallow RAR inspection I don't even notice the bandwidth. This is what bmon looks like:

Code:
RX    KiB
   116.47 ..............................*.........*...................
    97.06 ...................*..........*.........*..........*........
    77.65 ...................*..........*.........*..........*........
    58.24 .........*.........*..........*.........*..........*........
    38.82 ........***........*..........*.........*..........*........
    19.41 ::::::::***::::::::*::::**:::**:::::::::*::::::::::*:::::::: [-0.01%]
          1   5   10   15   20   25   30   35   40   45   50   55   60 m

Since it runs every 600 seconds, it only grabs a few thousand headers and with the blacklists, it doesn't bother fetching the bulk of TV shows (which are non-English). In fact, my only complaint with newznab is that it grinds he hard drive like crazy when it deltes binaries/headers from the SQL database. It works perfectly with Sickbeard and Couchpotato. The devs also seem to be in the IRC channel 24/7 and seem very nice.

I still use NZB.su because I can't afford to support raw searches and years of backfill, but having my little newznab server running (hopefully) provides a hedge against what seems like a mounting MAFIAA war against NNTP. I miss Newzbin2, but newznab is certainly better than the pre-NZB days when I had to manually sift though groups/headers.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - AliG - 2012-12-21

(2012-12-20, 00:16)Aenima99x Wrote:
(2012-12-19, 22:02)wade32505 Wrote:
(2012-12-19, 06:13)Aenima99x Wrote: Why don't you guys just use the init script and run it as a service?

Nope it runs on boot and continues to run regardless. It would be similar to SAB/CouchPotato/SickBeard/HeadPhones init scripts. You don't have to do anything, it will run on boot and continue to run the update_binaries & update_releases every 600 seconds by default.
Run the following from terminal
sudo cp /var/www/newznab/misc/update_scripts/nix_scripts/newznab_ubuntu.sh /etc/init.d/newznab
sudo chmod a+x /etc/init.d/newznab
sudo update-rc.d newznab defaults

you can then manually start/stop/restart it if you ever need to by doing sudo service newznab stop/start/restart

Some more Init/Upstart script info - here

Aenima99x, Thank you so much for this tip, been trying to figure it out, one question though, do you know if there is a log file or something to make sure it's running correctly?

Thanks

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - joeh1974 - 2012-12-21

Hey all, I finally have this up and running under a Windows 7 VM. It works great, but is there a .bat file which I can use to have this thing update the binaries and releases automatically? Maybe add it to Windows scheduled events?

Or do I need to manually need to run update_binaries.bat and update_releases.bat each time I need to update?

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - Harro - 2012-12-21

(2012-12-21, 23:17)joeh1974 Wrote: Hey all, I finally have this up and running under a Windows 7 VM. It works great, but is there a .bat file which I can use to have this thing update the binaries and releases automatically? Maybe add it to Windows scheduled events?

Or do I need to manually need to run update_binaries.bat and update_releases.bat each time I need to update?

In the folder ........./misc/update_scripts/win_scripts

Included in this folder are batch files for windows users.
You MUST set your system path to include the PHP path.

Otherwise at the top of each batch file add the line
set Path=“C:\yourpathtoPHP\”

updatebinaries.bat will execute the updatebinaries.php script.
updatereleases.bat will execute the updatereleases.php script.
updatebackill.bat will execute the backfill.php script.
Runme.bat will run a continous loop of update binaries and update releases and will optimise your db every 300 cycles.
Runme_with_scrape.bat is the same thing as Runme, however it will scrape every fifth time, if you are utilizing reqscraper.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - joeh1974 - 2012-12-21

The instructions I used did include adding PHP to my system PATH. Thanks for the breakdown of what each script does.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - joeh1974 - 2012-12-22

Does anyone know how to get rid of the PEAR::isError<> should not be called statically errors?

I've found a few guides which state to set:

error_reporting = E_ALL ^ E_STRICT

I've changed that in every php ini file I can find, but no use. Any other ideas?