Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Neon - a new skin for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Neon (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+----- Thread: [WIP] Neon - a new skin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=83337)

- Kalliban - 2010-12-27

tormi Wrote:The last couple of days when I have restarted my XBMC, the skin has reverted to "Confluence". However at "Appearance" setting it does say NEON (SVN), but I have to choose to install it again to get the skin back.

I had the same issue. It appears that XBMC has trouble updating the skin from the repository, resulting in the skin reverting to confluence. It removes the skin but fails to install the new version. I went back to using the git version and manually updating the skin.

tormi Wrote:Also at the movies view (slim) I have to manually select to get movie info. I thougt this screen was supposed to show movie info automatically. Actually it does show the first movie selected, but as soon as I scroll down the movie info disappears.

By info, do you mean the plot? The plot appears a few seconds after you have stopped over a movie. The idea here being that the view is cleaner this way and scrolling through multiple movies is better. If I want to read the plot I just stop over the movie and the plot appears. This is as it should be, and in my opinion a great feature! (Correct me if I'm wrong here Stoli)

tormi Wrote:PS: I saw you needed some translations done somewhere. If you need NEON translated to Norwegian I'll be happy to help out. Please just tell me which files and I'll get it done in a couple of days.

You can translate the file yourself, just go to %APPDATA%\XBMC\Addons\skin.neon(or skin.neon.svn depending on where you installed it from)\language
Here you can copy the English folder and name it Norwegian. Then you just translate all the strings in the strings.xml file inside the folder! Remember to send Stoli the file when you are done so it may be included in future updates! Big Grin

- stoli - 2010-12-27

You have it all correct Kalliban.

When it comes to updating the skin, I'd recommend turning off the auto update. When a notification is received that a new version is available, switch to confluence and then manually update. It's a hassle, but nothing that we can control until it is fixed by devs.

The trac ticket is here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10876

Thanks,

- Kalliban - 2010-12-27

stoli Wrote:You have it all correct Kalliban.

When it comes to updating the skin, I'd recommend turning off the auto update. When a notification is received that a new version is available, switch to confluence and then manually update. It's a hassle, but nothing that we can control until it is fixed by deva.

Thanks,

Hopefully they solve this issue soon. Until then I use SmartGit to sync with your git Smile

- Kalliban - 2010-12-27

When choosing to hide the clock on the home screen, the RSS-feed still has the large margin on the right side as to leave place for the clock and the weather. Is it possible to change this so that when the clock is hidden, the RSS-feed scrolls over the whole screen?
Also: What effect does the "Show Weather Widget" option have? The weather icon is shown on the front page (as long as the clock is enabled) either way?

- stoli - 2010-12-27

Kalliban Wrote:When choosing to hide the clock on the home screen, the RSS-feed still has the large margin on the right side as to leave place for the clock and the weather. Is it possible to change this so that when the clock is hidden, the RSS-feed scrolls over the whole screen?
Also: What effect does the "Show Weather Widget" option have? The weather icon is shown on the front page (as long as the clock is enabled) either way?

1. Maybe - I'll have to look into that.
2. That's for displaying the weather on screen when Weather is selected on the menu bar. Right now depending on your settings this is still a work in progress; I started to update it and got side tracked. Obviously no one noticed. Rolleyes

- tymy19 - 2010-12-27

Hello i have download the zip file and unzip in xbmc skin folder but when i try to activate it in xbmc i can't. I have an error message " Incompatible skin. We require skin of version 2.1 or higher" . What is the problem please?

- stoli - 2010-12-27

tymy19 Wrote:Hello i have download the zip file and unzip in xbmc skin folder but when i try to activate it in xbmc i can't. I have an error message " Incompatible skin. We require skin of version 2.1 or higher" . What is the problem please?

1. Make sure you are using xbmc v10
2. Save the skin to a folder in addons/skin.neon
Within the skin.neon folder it should have a series of folders, addon.xml and a few other files.

- tymy19 - 2010-12-27

stoli Wrote:1. Make sure you are using xbmc v10
2. Save the skin to a folder in addons/skin.neon
Within the skin.neon folder it should have a series of folders, addon.xml and a few other files.

I'm using xbmc 9.11 on snow leopard. How to update xbmc and don't lost my setting, movies..

- stoli - 2010-12-27

Definitely time to upgrade. Big Grin As I'm not a mac user I would suggest checking that forum for upgrade instructions. Generally speaking, all of your settings should remain in tact and I think you just drag and drop the install file. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this.

- Kalliban - 2010-12-27

I have a question.. Or maybe more of a curiosity.. Why does the fanart-background stretch sideways when entering the info-screen for a movie? Huh

- stoli - 2010-12-27

@ Kalliban - It's a leftover zoom effect from Night that I haven't updated yet. :-)

- Kalliban - 2010-12-27

Ah, okay Smile Another question: When watching a movie and pressing "i" to access the info-screen, there is a delay for about three seconds before the info-screen shows. Is that intended, a bug, or simply because of a to slow system on my part? Smile

- stoli - 2010-12-27

Kalliban Wrote:Ah, okay Smile Another question: When watching a movie and pressing "i" to access the info-screen, there is a delay for about three seconds before the info-screen shows. Is that intended, a bug, or simply because of a to slow system on my part? Smile

It's a WIP - see post 284 Big Grin. My thought was (based my usage) that most times when I hit info I just want to know about the time remaining/end time. So rather then clutter the screen with title, poster, etc I set it to display the time for 3 seconds to allow for a quick look and then follow with the details should I be interested.

If you are not using the global time, nothing will show for the first three seconds - I still have to update that if the delay is kept in place. Or... I may just update the info screen so it always uses both top and bottom regardless of global time setting.

Ideas or thoughts on this are appreciated...

On another note, I just updated another 20-30 xml files for color support and changing some folder structures. Please let me know if you find anything out of the ordinary or where it is white and should be one of the new colors. There is also a rare chance that some dialogs that may have black text on a black background - please post if you see that.

Thanks,

- Kalliban - 2010-12-27

I will refresh the textures in the morning and check it out! Regarding the three second delay: Somehow I managed to miss that part of the post, I saw my name and skipped the rest Big Grin
I'm not using global time since I find that the system slows down when updating the weather. By disabling the clock the system seems more responsive (since the clock and weather seems connected).
The idea to show time remaining and end time first is a good idea, that's why I'm pressing "i" when watching a movie. Is it possible to enable this to happen without global time? The difference should just be whether or not the time and weather shows as well, or am I misunderstanding?
Or maybe there is a way to show the clock but remove the weather? That way I can use the global time setting and be able to use the "clean" info-screen?

- stoli - 2010-12-27

Kalliban Wrote:I will refresh the textures in the morning and check it out!
Or maybe there is a way to show the clock but remove the weather? That way I can use the global time setting and be able to use the "clean" info-screen?

I'll likely go that route (weather optional) - I had planned to do that some time ago and never got to it. This should be a slow week at work, so it shouldn't be a problem to get done today or tomorrow.

Also - Anyone using CD-Art? I've never cared for it and am thinking of stripping it out...

Two of the new images (and colors):