Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making (/showthread.php?tid=85142)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- >>X<< - 2011-01-04

Hitcher Wrote:Do trailers get stored in the library database?

liquidskin76 Wrote:Hitcher... are you able to add trailers to the random script? If so, i can include an alternate option for it in Welo.

Cheers

The random script and recently added script already have the entries needed to get a random trailer I changed fusion to play the trailer from the featured movie window instead of playing the movie itself

- Bob___ - 2011-01-04

michaeldecharon Wrote:Can someone help me out?

I want to change the standard weathericons, because the resolution of the images is very poor.

I also want to change the font and sizes of the temperature like the text next to it.

Any help is welcome!

May be this could be a nicer alternative for the weather presentation:

Suggestion for Movie Poster View - Plasmatic - 2011-01-05

liquidskin76 Wrote:...

Also, i've been thinking about the poster view and small list. On the mockups they look fine, however on a large lcd they are a bit small. So i've tried out a hybrid list based on the small and big lists (so in the end there will be only one list), and a larger poster design...

new poster view

old poster view

What does everyone think? I'm trying to find the right font size, plus the right usability size.

Cheers

I am relatively new to XBMC (and HTPCs in general) but what has made me want to convert the most is the variety of skins available and their excellent polish (especially when compared to standalone media players... the one I currently have is sorrily lacking!).

I have been looking at all the nice skins that are in development and I really like the progress you have been making with Welo.

If you do not mind, below I have attached two images.

Movie Poster View template:

With respect to readability, consider the area outlined in red. That area could contain the movie title (at a good font size) and then pertinent information below the title.

With respect to usability (and I don't know how hard this would be to implement, please forgive me here), consider placing buttons in the yellow area. One possibility I thought of is to have a single button with UP and DOWN indicators positioned above & below the button. Then, when a user presses UP or DOWN, the text in the button would change. For example, PLOT would change to DETAILS then to CAST then to CODEC / TECH. INFO etc ... The appropriate information would be displayed in the area outlined in red.

Here is an image to get an idea of what I mean should go in the yellow outlined area:

Of course, that is a really quick attempt at making a button and I did not try to put in nice anti-aliased arrows, but hopefully you understand what I am getting at.

Ideally, the end user would be permitted to select which button (and therefore which information) is present by default and then set the order in which they should scroll. For example, I prefer to have the movie details shown first and then plot second .... but someone else may prefer the plot first and the codec (media flags) second.... etc etc.

Hopefully you have followed me this far!

Finally, in the area outlined in green, the star rating could be placed. I intentionally made it the width of the next two posters so that there ought to be no confusion that the rating refers to the currently focused (larger) poster that is immediately on the left.

Basically, I think the width of the yellow and red areas could be played with to fine tune the font size (& hence, readability). I know there will be people that prefer to have as much information crammed onto the screen at once... I intentionally omitted a spot for fan-art because I think it adds nothing of real value and takes up valuable screen real-estate, but that is just me.

Thank you for offering your spare time to develop skins for XBMC and thanks for reading my long-a** post! LOL.

PS: the entire time that I thought up my suggestions, I could not help but think that this skin would potentially make a great skin for a touch-screen interface. It would probably require much more work than I care to understand at the moment, but does anyone else here think so too?

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-05

Just some info on how the media flags behave. If you have the source in the filename (i.e. '.bluray'), then the flags shift to allow this extra flag to appear...

with source flag...

without source flag...

- michaeldecharon - 2011-01-05

Bob___ Wrote:May be this could be a nicer alternative for the weather presentation:

Bob,

That's great! That's what I mean!

So can you help me out to put the new icons in the skin?

>>X<<' Wrote:The random script and recently added script already have the entries needed to get a random trailer I changed fusion to play the trailer from the featured movie window instead of playing the movie itself

Can you share it with us?

I want to show random apple trailers lite.

- Drazzilb - 2011-01-05

I'm really liking the way this skin is turning out I'm VERY interested to see a finished product Keep up the good work. Oh, and Plasmatic your ideas on layout look very nice I was thinking something similar when liquidskin was asking his questions on font size. (old one IMO back to your question liquid)
Thanks

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2011-01-05

michaeldecharon Wrote:Can you share it with us?

I want to show random apple trailers lite.

Sorry I miss understood your first question I was talking about random trailers from unplayed movies in your library apple trailers lite doesn't add anything to the db which is where the random script looks

Nuka is probably the man you need or some one else good with Python

>>X<<' Wrote:Sorry I miss understood your first question I was talking about random trailers from unplayed movies in your library apple trailers lite doesn't add anything to the db which is where the random script looks

Nuka is probably the man you need or some one else good with Python

No problem!

I will ask Nuka...

I think it wil be possible, because I can show the trailers from Apple Trailer Lite in librarymode by using the code: videolibrary, plugin Apple Trailers Lite

- BigDaddyRal - 2011-01-06

liquidskin76 Wrote:new poster view

What does everyone think? I'm trying to find the right font size, plus the right usability size.

I prefer this version.

This skin is really shaping up beautifully.

- SamHill - 2011-01-06

BigDaddyRal Wrote:I prefer this version.

I agree.

- Drazzilb - 2011-01-06

Liquid Any estimation on completion of this work of art?

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-06

BigDaddyRal Wrote:I prefer this version.

SamHill Wrote:I agree.

I'll include the view, so there will be the following views on release...

List
Large List
Poster
Large Poster
Wall

Cheers

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-06

Drazzilb Wrote:Liquid Any estimation on completion of this work of art?

No idea yet! Still working hard though... Wink

- Drazzilb - 2011-01-06

liquidskin76 Wrote:No idea yet! Still working hard though... Wink

Awesome my man. It looks great i cant wait to try it out.. Thanks for all the hard work.