Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making (/showthread.php?tid=85142)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-25

MarkTaunton Wrote:The icons themselves are ok (ish) but they look out of my place in my point of view. The space between the whole thing is too vast.

I just do not think that the icons suit the skin at all. I have for example painted a room red and then think ok it is a good job, but then I realised that I made a mistake and blue would be better.

Personally I hate the icons full stop and prefer the posters, but as they currently are, it all just makes the skin look too dark.

The icons if they do have to stay (spits) need some colour and filling out more.

I honestly do not think that icons work with this skin.

Regards

Mark

Why would you put colour on the icons when the skin is 90% grey, dark grey, and white?

Also, regarding space, what would you put there for videos, pictures, weather, settings, etc? If you just had recently added or random (which can be only be used on movies, tv, and music), there would be a large empty space for everything else.

Maybe you can find or design suitable icons i can use? Or just choose the skin option to disable icons and only have recently added/random and a large empty space?

- MarkTaunton - 2011-01-25

Having viewed larger image

the skin actually looks very bland with those icons. Deffinatly a huge mistake. It is all reasonably black with a bit of white text.

The icons do really take away welo and make the skin look lifeless and a Neil (the young ones).

I would stake what little reputation that I have that I am right on what I say.

- igotdvds - 2011-01-25

MarkTaunton Wrote:Having viewed larger image

the skin actually looks very bland with those icons. Deffinatly a huge mistake. It is all reasonably black with a bit of white text.

The icons do really take away welo and make the skin look lifeless and a Neil (the young ones).

I would stake what little reputation that I have that I am right on what I say.

Always the kindest remarks. Smile

igotdvds Wrote:Always the kindest remarks. Smile

Watch it you, found some design faults tonight. I shall be posting soon lol

If Simon Cowell could sing, do you think that he would be singing.

I am Xbmc judge factor lol

Would sooner say the truth than say something looks good and it doesn't as that suits no body apart from the fantastic people who actually can skin.

Sorry for my honesty but it is the best policy.

- igotdvds - 2011-01-25

MarkTaunton Wrote:Watch it you, found some design faults tonight. I shall be posting soon lol

If Simon Cowell could sing, do you think that he would be singing.

I am Xbmc judge factor lol

Would sooner say the truth than say something looks good and it doesn't as that suits no body apart from the fantastic people who actually can skin.

Sorry for my honesty but it is the best policy.

Just messing with you. Big Grin

Back on topic. Sorry guys.

- blacklist - 2011-01-25

igotdvds Wrote:Just messing with you. Big Grin

Back on topic. Sorry guys.

I'm just glad that someone else is feeling my pain with Mark. Wink

blacklist Wrote:I'm just glad that someone else is feeling my pain with Mark. Wink

Americans cant shoot the fookers cant nuke the gits either lol

Getting back to Welo but it would be wrong to keep saying it looks good when it does not the icons look out of place if you really look at the skin for a while.

The time spent on those icons would be better spent elsewhere.

Hey I a critic not an artist so shoot me lol

- Hitcher - 2011-01-25

Judging by the one example he did make for me I 'think' Welo originally intended them to be more of an actual image than an icon but who knows.

MarkTaunton Wrote:The time spent on those icons would be better spent elsewhere.

You're hard work you are!! Wink Theres is plenty of time and hard work being spent elsewhere thanks. I'm working bloody hard on welo! Nod

Without icons we have this...

So what am i supposed to do? Leave blank or fill with something? Or do both and give the user the option?

You see the problem i'm having. I didn't design the skin, and this design point is incomplete in Welo's mockups.

- blacklist - 2011-01-25

liquidskin76 Wrote:You're hard work you are!! Wink Theres is plenty of time and hard work being spent elsewhere thanks. I'm working bloody hard on welo! Nod

Without icons we have this...

So what am i supposed to do? Leave blank or fill with something? Or do both and give the user the option?

You see the problem i'm having. I didn't design the skin, and this design point is incomplete in Welo's mockups.

I like hitchers idea - maybe something more like a 3d object would be appropriate? I think the icons are fine, but I have to admit that the monitor image is more appealing.

Hey Hitcher,

Yeh, that was the only one Welo did. Unfortunately i don't have Welo's skills in design so i stuck with free stuff from the net. Finding descent stuff is near impossible and costs money!

Cheers

- Hitcher - 2011-01-25

Liquid, you should have that TV image in the skin but if you don't let me know.

EDIT: Too late, lol.

And I feel your pain, I'm also no good at designing something based on someone else's vision (one the reasons I never continued with this).

- blacklist - 2011-01-25

liquidskin76 Wrote:Hey Hitcher,

Yeh, that was the only one Welo did. Unfortunately i don't have Welo's skills in design so i stuck with free stuff from the net. Finding descent stuff is near impossible and costs money!

Cheers

Why not just use the TV image and change what is on the display?

At the moment I have watch your movies then space then movie posters. So 3 movie posters, bring that to the left to have 4 or 5 posters looking at my 37 incher it would look better, more filling the screen.

I know with weather and settings there is too much blank space.

Where you have watch your view your this should be more middle on one side, so you dont have too much gap .

Maybe the date and current weather larger in top right.

A few suggestions but keep up the fantastic work.

Regards

Mark

- Hitcher - 2011-01-25

MarkTaunton Wrote:At the moment I have watch your movies then space then movie posters. So 3 movie posters, bring that to the left to have 4 or 5 posters looking at my 37 incher it would look better, more filling the screen.

I know with weather and settings there is too much blank space.

Where you have watch your view your this should be more middle on one side, so you dont have too much gap .

Maybe the date and current weather larger in top right.

A few suggestions but keep up the fantastic work.

Regards

Mark

I disagree, this is intentional white space.