Kodi Community Forum
MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library (/showthread.php?tid=85654)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-05

I asked this question in the other MySQL guide as well....

but what is the advantage of this method over just using a symbolic link for the entire XBMC appdata folder on every machine except the main one.

Ie so, every machine just uses the very same XBMC profile folder....

- TugboatBill - 2011-07-05

It should work as long as all your XBMC clients are identical and you run only one at a time. I think you'll get conflicts if you run more than one at a time. Worth a try though.

- avus m3 - 2011-07-06

kiboy6 Wrote:I asked this question in the other MySQL guide as well....

but what is the advantage of this method over just using a symbolic link for the entire XBMC appdata folder on every machine except the main one.

Ie so, every machine just uses the very same XBMC profile folder....

This is what I have been doing in the mean time until some more "quirks" are worked out from using a MySQL backend.

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-06

So is the only disadvantage to this totally symlinked appdata folder, the inablity to have 2 instances running smoothly at once?

Thanks for the responses Smile

- avus m3 - 2011-07-06

kiboy6 Wrote:So is the only disadvantage to this totally symlinked appdata folder, the inablity to have 2 instances running smoothly at once?

Thanks for the responses Smile

Well there is that issue. There is also the issue that I have to change the settings from 7.1 hdmi with DD and DTS enabled (living room) to 2.0 hdmi for the bedroom. Obviously, this setup gives me the ability to pause in the living room and resume in the bedroom (like MySQL). It is nice that if I install an addon it's available in both rooms. That makes management simpler. Speed is not an issue for me since I have it on my ZFS array. Concurrency (lack of being able to) is the biggest issue I guess.

I am going to try out MySQL again and see if the ordering of the tags in the NFO make a difference in MySQL recognizing sets yet. I can't believe that no one else is having this issue.

- incentive - 2011-07-18

hi can anybody help me out, i'm having problems with sync

i get this error in the log file
RROR: Can't open the database xbmc_video as it is a NEWER version than what we were expecting!

i have all my stuff on a central machine and the clients have mapped network drives and i can add all the movies to the library and they play ok, just the sync will not work and i have to build librarys for every machine.

i'm using the latest 10.1 build with mysql 5.5.14

Question on Database and mismatch data - tedmundson - 2011-07-18

Hi I am a newbie to the Shared Database idea on XBMC, I have setup mysql on a server and have setup my two devices with the xml file.

Right now I have one shared folder on my server called //server/video

I have one box running on Windows 7 and one running Live installed on a PC

I have set up both pc to reference the above shared folder.
I am using the transparency skin

Issues:

PC shows one set up of cover art and fanart in the movies folder
Live machine shows different cover art and reconginzes files incorrectly

Please advise what I should be looking for as my next troubleshooting steps.

Thank you in advance

- banzai75x - 2011-07-22

I've noticed that so far, everyone's clients are on the local network. What I'm trying to do is configure my iPAD to connect to the MySql server that is stored on my Synology NAS server but I keep getting an error "Can't connect to MySQL Server at xx.xx.xx.xx"

Here are my details:

NAS Server
Internal IP: 192.168.1.50
External IP. 68.5.10.30

Ipad: 192.168.1.146

My Advanced Settings..

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>68.5.10.30</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>password</user>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>

I've tried changing to to the internal IP and it does work and I connect. But once I use the external IP it does not.

I've forward port 3306 on my router to 192.168.1.50:3306.

Thanks

What I fixed to get this working... - DJPoochi - 2011-07-27

So I've been working to try and configure this all up on two Win7 systems (HTPC and Office). I've set up Office w/ the MySQL DB, all the music, and all the video. HTPC accesses the files and the database remotely.

When I first tried to set all of this up between the two systems, and I first built my AdvanceSettings.xml files, I put "localhost" on my Office system, and the IP address on my HTPC. Everytime I tried to load XBMC on the HTPC, the system would hang on the splash screen. I *think* this is because of network port forwarding or IP address problems or so. I saw a random post somewhere in a thread talking about adding ":3306" to the end of the IP address within the AdvanceSettings.xml and I was then able to load XBMC on the HTPC. However, once I was into XBMC, I was unable to see a "Movies" or "TV Shows" menu listing on the Home Screen (Night Skin). I was perplexed, so I went back to check (and fixed) the network config, and tested MySQL connectivity btw my Office and HTPC systems. I was still unable to see the "Movies" and "TV Shows" menus on the Home Screen. It wasn't until I went back into the AdvanceSettings.xml file on HTPC and removed the ":3306" line from the IP address that the system was able to correctly resolve. I'm just adding my findings to the mix because while searching I couldn't find anything talking about being able to only see a File View when attempting to connect to a remote MySQL DB.

I will now begin refining the indexes and connectivity of the systems, as well as work on symlinks to remote pull posters and the like.

I hope this helps someone...

- fional - 2011-07-27

avus m3 Wrote:Am I the only one that's having issues with movie sets? I mentioned this before but didn't get any response. I used to run a MySQL setup and everything worked perfect except movie sets. Sets created before the import worked fine but sets created with new movies after do not work. It's as if MySQL is completely ignoring the tags. I switched to a normal XBMC install for awhile but want to go back to MySQL for multiseats. I switched back and the same thing is happening. Imported sets are fine but lets say I scrape a collection in Ember and let XBMC add it in...no set recognized??

Did you ever find a solution to this? I use Ember to create sets now and am contemplating trying MySQL again - but I don't want to if I am stuck with only the "initial" imported sets and can't make any new ones.

- tboooe - 2011-07-27

fional Wrote:Did you ever find a solution to this? I use Ember to create sets now and am contemplating trying MySQL again - but I don't want to if I am stuck with only the "initial" imported sets and can't make any new ones.

I cant understand what is happening with fional. I have created multiple movie sets. I dont use Ember however. I manually edit the nfo file using the <set> and <sorttitle> fields. Have you tried just letting XBMC scrap the movie then going in and manually editing the nfo file?

- TugboatBill - 2011-07-27

I'm using the MySQL centralized database and sets seem to be working when managed through EMM. I did have some issues if the movies were already in the system - I had to remove them & then rescan. They then appear correctly.

- fional - 2011-07-28

TugboatBill Wrote:I'm using the MySQL centralized database and sets seem to be working when managed through EMM. I did have some issues if the movies were already in the system - I had to remove them & then rescan. They then appear correctly.

tboooe Wrote:I cant understand what is happening with fional. I have created multiple movie sets. I dont use Ember however. I manually edit the nfo file using the <set> and <sorttitle> fields. Have you tried just letting XBMC scrap the movie then going in and manually editing the nfo file?

Thanks! I'm going to give this another try.

- bluecrew - 2011-07-28

yes, now my database is working. th Image

- jcato - 2011-08-05

Not sure if this is related, but I recently setup a central MySQL database on my unRaid server. I imported my library and everything works fine. This didn't setup my sources, so I'm trying to do that and have a problem. I set the content, but it won't stick. I add my movie source, set content to Movies, click Ok. If I go back into set content, it is set to None. I can't scan the source, since there isn't a content type set. Any ideas?

Thanks