Kodi Community Forum
[PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) (/showthread.php?tid=86038)

- Bas. - 2010-11-25

Sometimes life is so simple Big Grin Thanks Smile

- distler - 2010-11-25

Nice! Been looking for a way to have 2-channel HDMI sound and Toslink DTS.
Best thing since sliced bread? .. close call!

- mad-max - 2010-11-27

Hi there...

I applied the patch and compiled the source on windows to a directX build.
After installing the new dual audio output xbmc I can´t start it anymore...
missing dll d3dx9_42.dll...
other compiled builds don´t have this problem...
any hint? or any download-link of a working copy?

- JamieWolf - 2010-11-27

Download the newst DirectX Version from Microsoft to get rid of the DLL error

- xhbl - 2010-11-27

Well, the first patch 'Support_DualAudio_Output_Basedon_SVN_Rev35252.patch' should be OBSOLETED now. Please apply new patch 'Support_DualAudio_Output_Basedon_SVN_Rev35252_v2.patch'

Because there is problem of out of synchronization of the 2nd audio output for video playback.

I used a stand-alone thread for the decoding and output of the 2nd audio in the previous patch, but this will sometimes cause out of synchronization with video; so I use another method that decode and output 2nd audio within the same thread of the 1st audio. and the 2nd audio output will be synchronized with the 1st audio output, thus fix the bug of out of synchronization with video playback.

- xhbl - 2010-11-27

mad-max Wrote:Hi there...

I applied the patch and compiled the source on windows to a directX build.
After installing the new dual audio output xbmc I can´t start it anymore...
missing dll d3dx9_42.dll...
other compiled builds don´t have this problem...
any hint? or any download-link of a working copy?

Go to microsoft web site, download The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime and install it first.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

- Sylus - 2010-11-27

Will the patch be included after the final release of dharma?

- sdsnyr94 - 2010-11-27

OK, so this looks great. All your screenshots indicate a Windows version of XBMC. Will the Patch work correctly on Linux/Live?

If so, is there anything special I need to do with .asound.conf?

- azido - 2010-11-27

honestly, just 2 days ago i was thinking

"man, i would love to have the ability to have the gui sounds, standard audio (music as mp3) or better ANY 2-channel stuff being played by my analog device, while everything else having multichannel audio will be sent to my digital receiver - and all that without the hassle of manually changing the audio device in the settings"

..will this be possible with your patch?

edit: after thinking further, your patch seems to output audio to both devices simultaneously. how about this:

- user fills in the correct devices, one for analog, one for digital output in settings.
- an additional output "selector" with a corresponding onscreen-label (or simply a switch) will be available for skinners to implement into their skin.
- user can assing a key to that switch in keymap, thus making it available as a button on his remote.

benefit:

based on what kind of audio the user wants to play (being 2-channel audio as an mp3, or being 5.1 sound of a movie, which can be easily determined by the proper flag of the video) the user can easily switch between audio 1 and audio 2 with a simple keypress. skinners could also implement the "audio switch" into the osd dialog so the user can decide which device to use for the currently running movie or episode based on the available audio sources.

in my dreams xbmc can decide which audio device to use as soon as the file is triggered to play without any user intervention beside setting those two devices up once in his setup (which of course would mean the audio device setup is kind of fixed like audio 1 represents an analog and audio 2 a digital device, else the whole idea becomes kinda useless).

- xhbl - 2010-11-28

sdsnyr94 Wrote:OK, so this looks great. All your screenshots indicate a Windows version of XBMC. Will the Patch work correctly on Linux/Live?

If so, is there anything special I need to do with .asound.conf?

I also patch the sources code under linux/live, but I do not build and test.

- mad-max - 2010-11-28

xhbl Wrote:Go to microsoft web site, download The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime and install it first.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

thanks for your answer, but this is what i tried on friday several times...
A build of the same SVN Revision without the patch works great, so I thought it might be a problem with my build...
well...will see if I can get this on a test-machine...

- DigitALL - 2010-11-28

spiff Wrote:he posted that patch, what more do you needHuh

I am a linux user so I do not have the knowledge to patch this feature to a linux or OsX xbmc release. I am sure that it is nice to have such feature and nevertheless many others would benefit from it.

So spiff, you guys are the masters here, what about to include this feature by the XBMC team on all platforms?
It could be very well included in a RC2, isn't it?

- waldo22 - 2010-11-28

DigitALL Wrote:I am a linux user so I do not have the knowledge to patch this feature to a linux or OsX xbmc release. I am sure that it is nice to have such feature and nevertheless many others would benefit from it.

So spiff, you guys are the masters here, what about to include this feature by the XBMC team on all platforms?
It could be very well included in a RC2, isn't it?

Dharma has been closed to new features for months now.

Once Dharma final is out, this could be included in the nightlies.

-Wes

- a11599 - 2010-11-28

Doesn't work with WASAPI here, but runs fine with DirectSound.

- sdsnyr94 - 2010-11-29

Patch seems to fail in Linux... I am not savvy enough to know how/where. If someone smarter than me gets it working I would love to try it, however as this is a Dev thread, I am not asking for help.

Hopefully this, or some variation of this, can be included in pre-Eden builds. Count me as someone who would find this feature most usefull!

Suggestion:
How about adding a second "tab" on the left side under Audio Output. Maybe call it "Audio Output 2" or "Dual Audio", so that you do not have all the Audio settings crammed into one screen. In that "tab" have all the options grayed out, and have a radio button at the top, something like "Enable Dual Audio Devices", that enables the sub options.