Kodi Community Forum
[PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) (/showthread.php?tid=86038)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

[PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Blechwok - 2013-02-17

Thanks a Lot for the Eden Patch! Works really good.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - armitatz - 2013-02-19

If you make a patch for frodo perhaps you could make it so that it has a different audio delay settings for both outputs. for example it might had a delay of 0ms for the hdmi output in the tv and an adjustable delay for the digital output so that the receiver could be better in sync with the tv.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - tomera69 - 2013-02-21

Hi there, u r my king. is ther any chance of the patch for frodo

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - newkie - 2013-02-21

Just to follow up, I found a hardware solution some of you may be interested in. For less than $20 I got a gadget off ebay which is a HDMI passthrough with an audio out. It's powered by a USB so you can just plug it in to your HTPC.

Search ebay for "hmdi audio converter" (here's one). It took a lot of searching and eliminating other junk but regardless of chinese seller they're all the same device and look like this:

I was dubious that it would somehow affect the picture quality but all seems fine. It's ended up being a good solution and was worth the money.

[PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Galactus - 2013-02-21

Newkie, looks interesting. I have tried similar devices in the past without great success. For me, this would be perfect if it works as advertised. I just want to send audio to another zone in my home, and my Onkyo Receiver only accepts an analog input for this purpose. If this does that without having to fiddle with settings and a patched solution then I'm in.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - twelvebore - 2013-02-21

There are a number of these devices on the market (HDMI audio extractor is probably a more precise term to Google for by the way), which range in price from about £15 to well over £100.

I chose one in the middle of that range (made by Cablesson, or at least it's their name stamped on it), and it works... kind of OK, but not perfect. I don't know if the addition of such a box in the signal path complicates the HDMI hand-shaking between the HTPC and AVR, or what exactly, but I've found the whole setup to have become more fussy, and slower to switch to the HTPC source. When switching main zone and zone 2 sources on my AVR I sometimes lose sound through the HDMI channel, sometimes through the audio channel, sometimes both. Other times it works fine (actually, most of the time it works fine, it's just annoying when it doesn't).

Anyway, I've only tested it with Boxee to date, I intend to test drive it with Frodo this weekend (if I get the chance! So much to fiddle with, so little time!).

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - armitatz - 2013-02-21

This one seems to be only stereo output. Does it pass the DTS/AC3 channels correctly or it downmixes?

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - newkie - 2013-02-21

I can vouch for the simplest setup the one above works as advertised. I mainly run audio out the TV or quality wireless headphones. I do have a Yamaha RX-V480 which is too old to take HDMI so I don't need to worry about AVR signals. You may need to look in to a higher end version if that is a concern.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - newkie - 2013-02-22

This option may be better for those with modern receivers who are concerned about unadulterated channels/signals: Cablesson® - 2 Way HDMI SPLITTER BOX (US link)

It's pretty reasonable at £20/$30 and may be of higher quality than the one I got off eBay.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - thewarm - 2013-02-22

The thread is getting off track with these video splitters...

I have been using a 1 in 2 out HDMI splitter for quite a while. It handles the video. I still require the "dual-audio" patch so I can have stereo audio over HDMI (with DTS/Dolby disabled) to my bedroom TV and the other HDMI video PLUS optical audio (with DTS/Dolby enabled) to my main TV and AV receiver.

I don't see how these HDMI splitters do anything for dual audio...

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - newkie - 2013-02-22

They're not video splitters. They are video pass-thru w/ audio out. The term seems to be HDMI audio extractor.

This is a hardware solution and therefore you do not need the "dual-audio" patch.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - circuit - 2013-02-22

I am in the same boat as the warm, for me the dual audio patch is needed as one of my outputs still needs to be analogue for my TV.
Dual audio does this but the hardware devices do not.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - ReMi - 2013-02-23

Same here..

I need Stereo out on my HDMI
and 5.1/passtrough on my SPDIF

The Eden patch works like a charm and would be great when available
in Frodo too Big Grin mostly since i want to use the "Live TV" option in Frodo

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - twelvebore - 2013-02-23

(2013-02-22, 21:44)circuit Wrote: I am in the same boat as the warm, for me the dual audio patch is needed as one of my outputs still needs to be analogue for my TV.
Dual audio does this but the hardware devices do not.

Yes, that's exactly what they do. They convert HDMI to HDMI + analogue audio.

(2013-02-23, 00:23)ReMi Wrote: Same here..

I need Stereo out on my HDMI
and 5.1/passtrough on my SPDIF

There are variants of these devices that split HDMI to HDMI + analogue + SPDIF, eg.

http://www.lindy.co.uk/hdmi-audio-extractor/38090.html

They are more expensive though. I think there are cheaper versions available in the US (from Monoprice I think, there's a thread about them on avsforums).

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - ReMi - 2013-02-23

Thanks for your suggestion (but no solution for me), but i think this is getting off-topic here ...

Like to hear om some progress on the "Dual Audio Patch" in Frodo
I love XBMC, but it's too bad it's not implemented by default !