Kodi Community Forum
[PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) (/showthread.php?tid=86038)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Ned Scott - 2013-10-06

It might be the case for windows, but it's not the case for Linux and Mac OS X.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Leopold - 2013-10-06

(2013-10-04, 12:09)twelvebore Wrote: What the hell are you rabbiting on about? Are you seriously saying that Microsoft, Intel and Apple are responsible for the fact that my Denon AVR won't play digital sources on it's Zone 2?
Some Yamaha AVRs have a "Party Mode" which allows a digital source to play on Zone 2. I'm considering upgrading my Onkyo and may go with a Yamaha for that reason.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - twelvebore - 2013-10-07

(2013-10-06, 11:04)Leopold Wrote: Some Yamaha AVRs have a "Party Mode" which allows a digital source to play on Zone 2. I'm considering upgrading my Onkyo and may go with a Yamaha for that reason.

My Denon has a "party mode" too, but that don't think that does what I want to do. I did look at Yamaha and Onkyo (and Pioneer) before plumping for the Denon, maybe things have changed in the past year or two.

Daft thing is though it refuses to play digital input in Zone 2 even if the exact same source is being used in Zone 1. The bloody signal is right there inside the AVR, doesn't need any more decoding or DACcing, just needs routing to the amps. But it won't do it.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Birrel - 2013-10-15

Hello,

Can somebody help me to build or provide an openelec eden version with the dual audio patch?

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - negge - 2013-10-15

Instead of whining on the developers to incorporate more features that very few people use (like external player support and audio CD ripping), why don't you all spend a few tens of dollars/euros on something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Some of you (like OCDHD) have probably wasted time already writing in this thread worth more than this device.

To counter-argument any "why would I want to spend money on anything":

Case 1: You're that guy who's got a better-than-average AVR with a second zone. You have already spent money on a surround system and that separate set of speakers for the second zone. Bailing out because of a $40 dollar device at this point is just stupid.

Case 2: You're that guy with the S/PDIF only receiver who wants to sometimes have sound through the TV and sometimes through the AVR. Completely ignoring the fact that you can run the audio through your TV to your AVR (which would solve all your problems), buying a $40 dollar thing that you can hide behind your TV shelf is still cheaper than buying a new receiver.

Case 3: You're that guy who uses XBMC on his desktop, who sometimes wants to use the headphones instead of the speakers. I don't even know what the problem is here, just plug in the headphones in the headphone jack and that's where the audio will come from.

Case 4: You're that guy who has an older yet HDMI-enabled AVR which sadly lacks the capability to pass audio/video through to your TV when it itself is turned off. Tough luck I guess, if only there was some device that could split an HDMI signal into two...

Case 5: You're that guy who realized he wants two simultaneous audio outputs, searched around the web for a while, maybe stumbled upon this thread, realized it's not as easy as it sounds to do it in software and then decided to research alternative options, like getting a device similar to this $40 dollar thing. Good job sir!

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - teeedubb - 2013-10-16

(2013-10-15, 23:56)negge Wrote: Instead of whining on the developers to incorporate more features that very few people use (like external player support and audio CD ripping), why don't you all spend a few tens of dollars/euros on something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Some of you (like OCDHD) have probably wasted time already writing in this thread worth more than this device.

Case 1: You're that guy who's got a better-than-average AVR with a second zone. You have already spent money on a surround system and that separate set of speakers for the second zone. Bailing out because of a $40 dollar device at this point is just stupid.

Case 2: You're that guy with the S/PDIF only receiver who wants to sometimes have sound through the TV and sometimes through the AVR. Completely ignoring the fact that you can run the audio through your TV to your AVR (which would solve all your problems), buying a $40 dollar thing that you can hide behind your TV shelf is still cheaper than buying a new receiver.

Case 3: You're that guy who uses XBMC on his desktop, who sometimes wants to use the headphones instead of the speakers. I don't even know what the problem is here, just plug in the headphones in the headphone jack and that's where the audio will come from.

Case 4: You're that guy who has an older yet HDMI-enabled AVR which sadly lacks the capability to pass audio/video through to your TV when it itself is turned off. Tough luck I guess, if only there was some device that could split an HDMI signal into two...

Case 5: You're that guy who realized he wants two simultaneous audio outputs, searched around the web for a while, maybe stumbled upon this thread, realized it's not as easy as it sounds to do it in software and then decided to research alternative options, like getting a device similar to this $40 dollar thing. Good job sir!

Wait a minute - you're saying its not the responsibility of others to provide the things that I want or to correct shortfalls in my setup? That's crazy talk!

/end sarcasm.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - sjw1 - 2013-10-28

I'm not sure (m)any of the people looking for this functionality are also looking for perfect sync between the two streams.
All I am looking for is output to both HDMI and SPDIF simultaneously so I can either have the amp on and switch the TV volume down or the TV volume up and the amp switched off - without having to change anything in XBMC. Having them both on at the same time gives the 'echo' effect - but I never have them both on at the same time anyway.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - teeedubb - 2013-10-28

(2013-10-28, 21:35)sjw1 Wrote: I'm not sure (m)any of the people looking for this functionality are also looking for perfect sync between the two streams.
All I am looking for is output to both HDMI and SPDIF simultaneously so I can either have the amp on and switch the TV volume down or the TV volume up and the amp switched off - without having to change anything in XBMC. Having them both on at the same time gives the 'echo' effect - but I never have them both on at the same time anyway.

Which os are you using? I've posted a script for OE/Linux (and a link to a windows version) in this thread which will change xbmc's audio output whether the avr is contactable via LAN. It could easily be changed to toggle the audio outputs via a remote.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - sjw1 - 2013-10-28

I use W7 with this patch, hence 'still' on xbmc 11.
Being able to toggle would be absolutely fine too. I use a Harmony One too so would have no trouble with assigning a button. Smile

AVR connectable by LAN? Mine's just via optical.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - teeedubb - 2013-10-28

Nah, the networking is for upnp/online streaming etc with the avr, its connected via HDMI, I just use the networking to determine if the avr is on or off. Have a look here, nabz's windows script is there along with some other info. I don't know much about windows scripting so not sure how you can adapt it to suit your needs

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=167914

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - lallhands - 2013-11-03

(2013-10-15, 23:56)negge Wrote: Instead of whining on the developers to incorporate more features that very few people use (like external player support and audio CD ripping), why don't you all spend a few tens of dollars/euros on something like this:

Unfortunately this device and all of the others I have found (so far) do not do the same thing that the patch did for Eden. Using the patch I was able to have 7.1 out of the HDMI and 2.0 out of the analog connection. This device is an HDMI switch and due to the nature of HDMI, plugging a 2.0 device into this will automatically downmix all feeds to 2.0. This is not useful for my situation, using an HDMI matrix with 7.1 to the theater and 2.0 to surrounding zones.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Isambard Prince - 2013-11-11

I've been following this thread for a long time.

There are many different scenarios why someone would want dual - or indeed multiple - audio output in XBMC, and why the alternative wouldn't work, but a lot of it has to do with convenience. When using HTPC, there isn't a lot that cannot be achieved with additional effort, but the problem is when this effort is required for every day tasks. I won't go into details about my particular setup and shortcomings of pass through.

I don't know why Microsoft chose to remove the feature from Windows (I've read about alleged problems with drivers, effectively killing hardware sound acceleration, and about antipiracy mesures, ineffective that they are), and I guess that it might have been partially influenced by the same reasons that the author of the new audio engine mentioned. However, please at least consider what we're asking and why. As far as I'm concerned, perfection is not really what most of us here are asking for: in my case I'd be perfectly happy with the option to switch audio outputs on-the-fly - i.e. without stopping the current stream - with one press of the remote. Two presses, especially if they require me to control another device, are inconvenient.

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - reddevil - 2013-12-25

Is there a patch for XBMC 12.3?

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Leopold - 2013-12-31

I'm thinking of solving the dual audio problem with one of these:

http://dx.com/p/hdv-m612-hdmi-to-hdmi-audio-video-converter-white-153709

It would hopefully take the HDMI output from my Acer Revo and split it into analog stereo (for Onkyo AV zone 2) and the original HDMI signal (to Onkyo AV).
It also appears that I could power it from a spare USB port on the Revo.

Any ideas if this would work? Has anyone else used something like this?

RE: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated) - Ned Scott - 2014-01-01

(2013-12-31, 21:38)Leopold Wrote: I'm thinking of solving the dual audio problem with one of these:

http://dx.com/p/hdv-m612-hdmi-to-hdmi-audio-video-converter-white-153709.

It would hopefully take the HDMI output from my Acer Revo and split it into analog stereo (for Onkyo AV zone 2) and the original HDMI signal (to Onkyo AV).
It also appears that I could power it from a spare USB port on the Revo.

Any ideas if this would work? Has anyone else used something like this?

No idea, but I just bought it on an impulse for use with a monitor that doesn't have built-in speakers. I'll know in a few days, I guess :)