Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- xeonicxpression - 2010-12-18

Constructacon Wrote:I don't know if you're being sarcastic or missed his point entirely. When will they invent a decent sarcasm emoticon?

I'm pretty sure he missed the point. Anyway, back on topic. This is one of the coolest skins I have seen in a long time. I have a feeling it won't run very good on the Appletv though. Still, this will be one cool skin. I'm looking forward to the youtube preview.

- blacklist - 2010-12-18

xeonicxpression Wrote:I'm pretty sure he missed the point. Anyway, back on topic. This is one of the coolest skins I have seen in a long time. I have a feeling it won't run very good on the Appletv though. Still, this will be one cool skin. I'm looking forward to the youtube preview.

Yeah, I have my doubts about the appletv. (thanks for getting us back on topic!)

The fact is, the skin is:
1) coded at 1080i
2) uses a bunch of scripts to expand functionality
3) will end up fairly heavy on the animations

I'm afraid that it is going to result in a skin that is going to take a fairly beefy machine to enjoy. (But will be TOTALLY worth it!)

- MindTooth - 2010-12-18

What ever you say, boss Smile This is surely something one of a kind, and it deserves the power it needs..

- blacklist - 2010-12-19

Anyone know if I can grab the context menu button in the home screen? I need something unique to use as a launcher. I'm not sure onBack is the option, although it would work.

I think the context menu is the closest thing to the actual functionality fornthe main menu, but don't think I can grab that command from t he home screen.

Thoughts?

- ppic - 2010-12-19

in my mind there's no context menu available on home screen, just shutdown menu.

- blacklist - 2010-12-19

ppic Wrote:in my mind there's no context menu available on home screen, just shutdown menu.

That's what I was afraid of. I need a more elegant way to drop down the main menu! Shocked

- MrIcka - 2010-12-22

=)

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-12-23

The design of the first page on this thread looks like a masterpiece.
Hope to see some sweet animations.
Thumbs Up Guys!

- blacklist - 2010-12-23

Just a bit of an update since we've been kind of quiet lately.

Lots going on behind the scenes to get the scripting elements right (thanks again to ppic). Ronie and I both are on limited time for a couple weeks for the holidays, etc.

The movie views are close to complete, with some tweaking of a few elements left to do, but basically usuable.

Movies Todo:
1. Finish Actor screens - depends on some new mockups and completion of the script ppic is working on
2. Create "Sets" Screen - custom for browsing sets - needs mockups (Can you access a sets contents directly from the browsing view [script?]? ie. List view of sets on left -> coverart for set in center -> Thumb of set contents on the right. I'm guessing you would have to script this in order to make it effective. Would however, reduce clicks.)
3. Create "Genres" Screen - needs custom genre images & mockups (See above notes on sets. Not sure this is sensible for genres since you are potentially talking MANY movies in a genre vs. relatively few associated in a set.) As a side note, I still wish genre was editable from within the XBMC interface. Shoulding be that tough to implement I wouldn't think...
4. How about a "Now Playing" screen for movies currently in theaters. Perfect world thinking again, I could use this screen to add an item to my CouchPotato queue.
5. Speaking of CouchPotato - how about display of my current wishlist there?
Television Todo:
1. Zip up mockup sets for ronie (yes, I'm dragging my feet Tongue )
2. Look at seasons view - new mockup concept?
3. Figureout how to integrate nextPlaying script in non-invasive way. Current thought process is I'd like to mark a show as you are browsing as "Airing Today", and have a separate custom view for shows "Airing Today" (How to link from home?). In a perfect wishful thinking world, I'd love to see the next airing episodes in the episode list with their airdates, but non-selectable until they air. That would be HOT. Even better - I'd like to integrate with sabnzbd to see "queued" or "downloading" when its actually been grabbed.
Addn'l
1. Need to move selection to be able to access "Featured" items
2. In movies/tv/music - can we randomly choose between the main media and associated media? ie. on the movies home, have either "Featured Movies" or "Featured Actor" appear?
3. NEED A BETTER WAY TO ACCESS MAIN MENU!
4. Can we show the # of watches for a given episode/movie? Total watches for a series or season? I'm thinking small numeric icons like those uesed to trakt website to show comments.
5. Trakt integration possible? Not sure what logical level this needs to be taken to. Ideas:
  • Rank episodes by most watched in trakt community.
  • Show comments from trakt community for episode/show/movie.
  • Show currently trending episodes (how about link this to the sabnzbd plugin in? this way if something is trending in the community and looks interesting I can queue for download!)
6. When we get to music section, I'm considering fairly heavy last.fm integration. See ideas for trakt for addn'l ideas.
  • Show Shouts.
  • Addn'l artist photos.
  • Number of listens in last.fm community.
  • Lauch artist stream directly from artist page.
  • Show artists top Last.fm tracks - can play if in local library?
  • Show last.fm similar artists on artist page.
  • Link to Youtube videos on artists page to youtube player
Recent breakthroughs:
1. The Main Menu now flips left and right. Current plan is to have onRight expose additonal XBMC features (Favorites, Change Profile, Shutdown, etc) and on Left expose a custom menu for 6 user defined links. Should give some added flexibility to the menu system.

(also something similar for the view, filter menu within the views)

2. The RSS feed is working like a champ. Now includes capability for multiple feeds and to display associated images.
[INDENT]Todo:
1. Look at a different way to display image contents. Cutting off too much with current polaroid implementation
2. How to handle multiple images in a article?
3. When images are thumbs with a link, can we display the full size image? Dealing with imagehosts may be a pain.
[/INDENT]

I'm sure I'll think of something else - but current development notes Big Grin

- blacklist - 2010-12-24

new concept for a TV Show list view.

A couple ideas that may take some work:

1. New Episode: Designates a show that has new & unwatched episodes. Needs a threshold. ie. apply to shows with episodes that have been added in the last 5 days and are unwatched.
  2. Next Episode: Date and time of next airing episode. For a show that has ended need to work out alternative content. Maybe a last watched episode?

- ppic - 2010-12-24

Quote:3. Create "Genres" Screen - needs custom genre images & mockups (See above notes on sets. Not sure this is sensible for genres since you are potentially talking MANY movies in a genre vs. relatively few associated in a set.) As a side note, I still wish genre was editable from within the XBMC interface. Shoulding be that tough to implement I wouldn't think...
possible yes.
already availabl, yes :http://passion-xbmc.org/addons/?Page=View&ID=script.genre-editor

- ppic - 2010-12-24

Quote:Next Episode: Date and time of next airing episode. For a show that has ended need to work out alternative content. Maybe a last watched episode?
just take the default, last difused episode date.

- selleck - 2010-12-24

Quote:Next Episode: Date and time of next airing episode. For a show that has ended need to work out alternative content. Maybe a last watched episode?

How about "last episode", or "series ended at"? Basically when the last episode aired...

- blacklist - 2010-12-24

ppic Wrote:possible yes.
already availabl, yes :http://passion-xbmc.org/addons/?Page=View&ID=script.genre-editor

Wow!!! Good to know! This one flew under my radar somehow - thanks ppic!

- blacklist - 2010-12-24

tomeirik Wrote:How about "last episode", or "series ended at"? Basically when the last episode aired...

Not a bad idea, I'm thinking maybe a random "featured" episode from the series? I have a lot of ended series and I'm not sure showing the last aired episode gives much value. Perhaps ill just remove the red button for an episode with no next aired and put 2 random episode thumbs down there for placeholders.