Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- MarkTaunton - 2011-01-23

As said before as you seem to be asking a question. You are a true artist but sometimes too little is enough, rather than too much.

All of your fantastic ideas hold back the full creation of this skin. There has to be a let go point, or a point where you create and release, then create further updates in the future.

I know that Xpirence took about a year to develop, but how long will this baby take to delevop?

Team Blackbolt had a full team delevoping, and yet there seems to be 3 people working on this skin.

The more ideas you come up with, the more development time needed and the less and less work will eventually be done.

If you push the skin and the coders too far, I can possibly see this going on the back burner due to the coders having lifes to lead.

I really think that for the better part of common sense, there has to be a cut off point for what is included in this skin, otherwise you will always see one more thing to add, then another and another, and the skin will never be released.

I hate being honest about over development, and trying to dampen your creavity process, but unless the finishing line is drawn, then this race could go on and on forever.

Regards

Mark

- blacklist - 2011-01-23

MarkTaunton Wrote:As said before as you seem to be asking a question. You are a true artist but sometimes too little is enough, rather than too much.

All of your fantastic ideas hold back the full creation of this skin. There has to be a let go point, or a point where you create and release, then create further updates in the future.

I know that Xpirence took about a year to develop, but how long will this baby take to delevop?

Team Blackbolt had a full team delevoping, and yet there seems to be 3 people working on this skin.

The more ideas you come up with, the more development time needed and the less and less work will eventually be done.

If you push the skin and the coders too far, I can possibly see this going on the back burner due to the coders having lifes to lead.

I really think that for the better part of common sense, there has to be a cut off point for what is included in this skin, otherwise you will always see one more thing to add, then another and another, and the skin will never be released.

I hate being honest about over development, and trying to dampen your creavity process, but unless the finishing line is drawn, then this race could go on and on forever.

Regards

Mark

Mark,

I appreciate you trying to be honest with your feelings about this skin. Yes, there are only a handful of people working on this skin, and yes it is going to take a while to develop. Blackbolt has a group of skinners, but as far as I can tell they tend to work in pairs on skins.

That being said, I think you have a very wrong impression about what I am asking. The RSS backend fuctionality already exisits. I can place it anywhere in the skin with the same effect. I was just curious if anyone had any additional ideas about where it could be used to greatest benefit. Maybe someone has some ideas where it could be used that I haven't thought of?

Ronie is plugging away on the code and the movie section and a lot of the tv section are close to complete. A lot of the technical hurdles have already been jumped, and development is chugging along. We're realistically just a couple of months into development, a chunk of that taken with the holidays and not a lot of action.

This is the second time you've tried to put the brakes on the creativity of the skin, and while I understand where you are coming from, I think its way too premature to be speculating that the development has gone on too long.

Besides, I've got to keep things interesting for ronie! I wouldn't want him to get bored with the same old skin stuff Big Grin At then end of the day, I think we have all kind of agreed that to make this skin the right way, we are going to stretch the idea of what people think about a XBMC skin. I want this skin to be an experience. To be immersive. The only way that's going to happen is to push the limits of what we currently think about skins.

- MarkTaunton - 2011-01-23

You are the Master I am but a humble servant. I have to agree with you on how XBMC needs to be pushed especially on the skinning side too many skins are just based around one skin and hardly any originatly.

I may try putting my idea for a skin out there for a skin one day and see what happens.

- dunpealhunter - 2011-01-23

I can't wait for your skin to be complete, its gonna be awesome. One question though, what happens if i don't have access to the internet? Are those pages with rss feed gonna disappear or are they just gonna be empty windows with nothing in them? And what about all the other stuff that requires the internet?

- blacklist - 2011-01-23

dunpealhunter Wrote:I can't wait for your skin to be complete, its gonna be awesome. One question though, what happens if i don't have access to the internet? Are those pages with rss feed gonna disappear or are they just gonna be empty windows with nothing in them? And what about all the other stuff that requires the internet?

Um. Ugly empty windows. Better stick with internet access.

- dunpealhunter - 2011-01-23

Are those rss feed pages gonna be something you can turn off?

- blacklist - 2011-01-23

On a totally unrelated note - tag clean up on my music is a pain in the ass. Up to 20,598 files and still climbing. :/

- blacklist - 2011-01-23

dunpealhunter Wrote:Are those rss feed pages gonna be something you can turn off?

Turn off? Hm, I don't think so - you could pull out the script to make it work. I suppose someone could cut down a lite "unconnected" version. I guess it never occurred to me the a htpc wouldn't be network connected...

You will have problems with a few areas in that case, including the actor views (real-time scraping) and music views (last.fm integration)

- Batemann - 2011-01-23

blacklist Wrote:On a totally unrelated note - tag clean up on my music is a pain in the ass. Up to 20,598 files and still climbing. :/

And why the hell are you cleaning up your tags?? You should be designing! Laugh

- blacklist - 2011-01-23

Batemann Wrote:And why the hell are you cleaning up your tags?? You should be designing! Laugh

I'm giving ronie some time to catch up (and working on filling in some misc. dialogs and icons - nothing glamorous) Tongue

- ZombieRobot - 2011-01-23

blacklist Wrote:I'm giving ronie some time to catch up (and working on filling in some misc. dialogs and icons - nothing glamorous) Tongue

poor ronie Eek guys this is looking amazing i can only imagine how much animating this is going to need how cpu intensive is it so far? good job.
god dam ronnie you must be working like a trojan to get this done this year even the workload would be intense good luck guys once again looks awesome

- blacklist - 2011-01-24

ZombieRobot Wrote:poor ronie Eek guys this is looking amazing i can only imagine how much animating this is going to need how cpu intensive is it so far? good job.
god dam ronnie you must be working like a trojan to get this done this year even the workload would be intense good luck guys once again looks awesome

Running fine on all the systems we've tested so far. But then again... we have a long way to go Tongue

- ppic - 2011-01-24

little slow on some animation with asrock ion 330, but still good to see.

- Helter_Skelter - 2011-01-24

well if u need some kind of beta tester...i'm in!

I'm looking forward to see your creation in action...!!!

- the_amazing_tux - 2011-01-25

Yeah really cool idea.
I would be availlable as beta tester, as well.
So feel free to contact me. Wink