Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- blacklist - 2011-01-28

Oddsodz Wrote:But the world ends in 2012? I Saw it on the telly.

Yes, The Paper Street Soap Company XBMC Skin is actually a harbinger of the apocolypse. Scary!

- AlfredJKwack - 2011-01-28

Hi There,

This looks like it will be a beautiful skin. I wonder what the skin's audio experience will be like. What sounds would best describe moving though lists or drill down from the home menu to say the episodes in a TV season. Are you considering to have theme music playing when viewing content within a specific TV show, or playing a random track when entering a music Genre view?

I'm just curious. A quick search on this thread showed nothing being discussed.

- blacklist - 2011-01-28

AlfredJKwack Wrote:Hi There,

This looks like it will be a beautiful skin. I wonder what the skin's audio experience will be like. What sounds would best describe moving though lists or drill down from the home menu to say the episodes in a TV season. Are you considering to have theme music playing when viewing content within a specific TV show, or playing a random track when entering a music Genre view?

I'm just curious. A quick search on this thread showed nothing being discussed.

I have a love/hate relationship with sounds in xbmc. Normally I actually turn them off because the click-click-click gets annoying to me.

With this skin, I think a good sounds scheme would be of benefit, but I currently don't have any great ideas. I like the theme music as well, but I'm afraid that it would get annoying quickly. I love ppic's tv show theme script, but I find I end up turning it off a lot because its just too much.

All that being said, I'm open to suggestions. Tongue

- MarkTaunton - 2011-01-28

God I do hope that you are jokeing about the 2012 bit for release.

Otherwise this will just end up being a very boring thread in the end, thankfully when Xperience was being realised I was only waiting about a month or two before it finally got realised.

There is really only so much you can read from people saying that they love the mock ups etc etc.

We all know this is a beautiful skin, but the possibilty of waiting a year for a skins release is far too long.

Either one of the developers could get bored in that time and decide to give up the project.

I shall stop holding my breath (sorry to the few who wanted me to see me hold my breath for a year)

And I shall eat, drink, maybe shower birthdays and xmas, and move on with life.

It is a shame that there is no quick fire method of creating a skin for XBMC without all the development time involved.

This is where XBMC has it's bad points that there are too many skins the same, and new developers who want to push the boundaries cannot do so in fast enough time.

- ppic - 2011-01-28

the problem is real for all kind of developpement, not only xbmc skinning, that's what open source live with.

- blacklist - 2011-01-28

MarkTaunton Wrote:It is a shame that there is no quick fire method of creating a skin for XBMC without all the development time involved.

This is where XBMC has it's bad points that there are too many skins the same, and new developers who want to push the boundaries cannot do so in fast enough time.

Ronie can correct my estimate but I would guess we're about 25% done.

ppic Wrote:the problem is real for all kind of developpement, not only xbmc skinning, that's what open source live with.

I more than appreciate the work that is involved with this, but all open source programs move on.

So what ever scraper you are developing for now. will probaly change in six months, which means that more work has to be done once part the 25% of the development needs changing.

Even XBMC might change in a year, or there maybe another program on the market, either free source or pay that wipes XBMC off the market.

It is ok for the XBMC council to allow people to develop set top boxes using the software, but who benefits in the end? I mean the real gainers in all of this.

Usually when an open source product gets sold out, it is the original creators, and no one else that gets a back hander in all of the development.

Say for example Microsoft picked this up to use in Windows, and you had to purchase it, either the software or the new operating system, they have a much better movie viewing experience for practically the cost of nothing.

- blacklist - 2011-01-28

So, right now the major projects include:

1. Finishing up Actor views/functionality
2. Finishing up views for TV
3. Possibly adding a new view to movies (I've got an idea in mind)
4. Music (big hurdle, I have a lot of mockups, but we need additional scripted functionality, including scrapers built for bandsintown and last.fm)
5. Photos (I haven't really even mocked up most of this area)
6. Addons (No mock-ups yet)
7. Settings (No mock-ups yet but shouldnt be to hard of a section to skin - except that we have added some custom userdefined things (such as RSS feeds, which will need to be accounted for)

So... plenty left to do. Please shower, eat, and breathe between now and release. Thanks.

Out of interest, do sections such as photo's or addon's need to be included into a skin or is that just it's there so we shall develop it?

I can understand about addon's but maybe with the addon's it would be better to have them in the system settings, so you can create custom menu's and download which ever addons you want, rather than having a set addons tab.

I know obviously you can knock them off from view in most skins, but wouldn't stuff be better via back end than front (god that don't sound good lol)

At least it means part of things can be knocked on the head. Personally for me I have never set up for photo display. I have for music but I have touchscreen monitor and a jukebox program if I want to listen to music dedicatedly, which is why I brought a touchscreen and also the program.

Does every skinner have to include all of these features?

I have been involved in a lot of scripts throughout the years, and sometimes you just have it so that.

Bob the builder = writes a music download script (so you bolt that on and presto)
Terry the butcher = writes a script about being a butcher (so the bolt on shows cattle)

A lot of development seems cack handed, when there is no bolt on script to make the job faster.

Sorry I am interested, rather than being an akward sod.

- stoli - 2011-01-28

blacklist Wrote:So, right now the major projects include:

So... plenty left to do. Please shower, eat, and breathe between now and release. Thanks.

And more annoying and tedious than anything else, all of the little dialogs. It seems every time you get one one, another pops up!

Patience. Smile

- blacklist - 2011-01-28

Mark-

I have an extensive photo collection of family photos that I use xbmc to display. So yes, I will be developing that area. To answer your more general question... no you don't have to skin every part of xbmc if you don't want to. I suppose you could create a skin that does nothing but television if you were so inclined. But then you would have to listen to the support requests from users who like the skin, but want to have movies... and music... and photos...

I am committed to making this a full, complete, immersive, user experience. Luckily Ronie and ppic have also drank the kool aid and are helping me bring it to life.

- Oddsodz - 2011-01-28

blacklist Wrote:Mark-

I have an extensive photo collection of family photos that I use xbmc to display. So yes, I will be developing that area. To answer your more general question... no you don't have to skin every part of xbmc if you don't want to. I suppose you could create a skin that does nothing but television if you were so inclined. But then you would have to listen to the support requests from users who like the skin, but want to have movies... and music... and photos...

I am committed to making this a full, complete, immersive, user experience. Luckily Ronie and ppic have also drank the kool aid and are helping me bring it to life.

Stop typing and get back to coding already. ShockedLaugh

- ppic - 2011-01-28

well, blacklist don't code ...

so he can type as he want till ronie and me always have something to work on Big Grin

- blacklist - 2011-01-28

ppic Wrote:well, blacklist don't code ...

so he can type as he want till ronie and me always have something to work on Big Grin

Yeah, I'm waiting for ronie to notice I did a commit to the SVN. Now THAT'S dangerous.

Honestly I've thought about rolling up my sleeves and trying to help out with the code side but I'm a little afraid that ronie or ppic might kick my ass. Big Grin They would probably spend more time trying to explain to me how to do what I was trying to do and besides, I know I would have a hard time with someone sticking their fingers in my code if it was me!

Besides, I'm at work. Typing is about all I can do!

blacklist Wrote:Mark-

But then you would have to listen to the support requests from users who like the skin, but want to have movies... and music... and photos...

Personally if I could develop my own, then I think that I would be selfish and develop for what I wanted, rather than anyone else.

I have in my own image what I really want created which is one of those electronic jukeboxes that you see in pubs and clubs

Such as http://www.slretail.co.uk/soundleisure/products/onestop_music/onestop_music.html

So the options would be in large button hopefully for a touchscreen, then it would be replaced with further options such as genres, years, etc.

You scroll along, and when you come to a movie you like, you press the movie, then it takes you to the info screen, where the DVD cover, information and if there is a trailer the trailer plays automatically, but you have to press on play to play the movie, or back to go back to the list of the movies.

It would be basic but functional but obviously something new as well.