Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- brenter - 2011-02-12

wow this looks really, really good. keep up the good work, cant wait to try it out.

- nessus - 2011-02-12

This is a huge work in coding & graphics level. Congrats to all involved in this for their passion and..... their patience !!!. I personally wouldn't use it. To clattered interface for me. I am not an simple style fan but this is to much. Also one more downside for me is that it has 60% standard textures (backgrounds, Polaroid frames etc) and 40% dynamic textures (posters, fanart etc).

Nonetheless.... as i say is excellent work. Especially in coding level.

Cheers
Nessus

- blacklist - 2011-02-12

nessus Wrote:This is a huge work in coding & graphics level. Congrats to all involved in this for their passion and..... their patience !!!. I personally wouldn't use it. To clattered interface for me. I am not an simple style fan but this is to much. Also one more downside for me is that it has 60% standard textures (backgrounds, Polaroid frames etc) and 40% dynamic textures (posters, fanart etc).

Nonetheless.... as i say is excellent work. Especially in coding level.

Cheers
Nessus

*bites tongue*

Thanks for the helpful comments!

- alshain - 2011-02-12

looks awesome!

Although, I do think the animations are over the top when you load the views where all the movie are for instance, it reminded me of PowerPoint slides, when everything comes flying in from somewhere, apart from that, it's outstanding!

- blacklist - 2011-02-12

alshain Wrote:looks awesome!

Although, I do think the animations are over the top when you load the views where all the movie are for instance, it reminded me of PowerPoint slides, when everything comes flying in from somewhere, apart from that, it's outstanding!

Yeah, this is going to be a love it or hate it thing. (hoping for more of the former, and not the latter, but who knows)

- garyi - 2011-02-12

I think lets suck it and see. Whats important here is the pushing of boundaries, whats happening here is pushing XBMC on, and not leaving it in the hands of confluence*, and this has to be a good thing.

*Not knocking confluence, but most skins seem to stem from it at the moment.

- mcborzu - 2011-02-13

Looks nice! Always fun having the cool sections done cuz you can use the skin as your main skin but now comes the tedious, boring sections you don't use much at all.

How you guys doing the clickable Most watched section?

- Oddsodz - 2011-02-13

mcborzu Wrote:How you guys doing the clickable Most watched section?

Oh, I see what you did there Wink

- ronie - 2011-02-13

mcborzu Wrote:Looks nice! Always fun having the cool sections done cuz you can use the skin as your main skin but now comes the tedious, boring sections you don't use much at all.

i for one can't wait 'till we get to the dialogs, would be nice to have something easy to code for a change.
i took a shot at the context menu tonight and finished it within five minutes.
compare that to the actor views we've been going over and over again for weeks now.

mcborzu Wrote:How you guys doing the clickable Most watched section?

we're using a handful of tailor made scripts to get certain things done. ;-)

- blacklist - 2011-02-13

ronie Wrote:we're using a handful of tailor made scripts to get certain things done. ;-)

Ronie and I have both had to start dabbling in python Big Grin

And I'm not sure what took so long on the actor views, except me being super picky. BTW Ronie... I think we need to work on animating the trasnitions in that section... Wink

<-- BTW - when do I get to stop being a Fan and get to be a... well... not a skilled skinner. Um. Concept King? HEHE!

(I'm bored at work, btw)

And you know, my concept originally included a "Featured Director"... Now that we can do the actor stuff I might have to give the director stuff a shot too. Right now on the Movie home its always the Featured Movie (using randomitem), I suppose we could edit that to show a "Featured Actor", "Featured Movie", and "Featured Director" either randomly of the three, or based on the time of the reload...

No reason the actor script we currently use couldn't pull director data too, and the wikipedia scraper and rss feed wouldn't change.

- Piers - 2011-02-13

The Photoshop work you have done for this skin is lovely.

- ppic - 2011-02-13

i'm back from holidays Blacklist !
what's new there?

- ronie - 2011-02-13

ppic Wrote:i'm back from holidays Blacklist !
what's new there?

<offtopic>
could you have a look at this:
recently added bug
random items bug

i need someone with a bit of python skills to verify my code changes
before i push the fixed versions to the repo.
</offtopic>

so...how was your holiday? ;-)

- ppic - 2011-02-13

they were great !
little lack of snow, but we got what we need to have fun skiing!

really good !

i've updated my local scripts with your corrections to see if i encounter problems (i don't have any music library...)

- blacklist - 2011-02-13

ppic Wrote:they were great !
little lack of snow, but we got what we need to have fun skiing!

really good !

i've updated my local scripts with your corrections to see if i encounter problems (i don't have any music library...)

Welcome back!!!! Glad to hear you hear you had a nice ski trip - I'm jealous!

Me and ronie have missed you so much we had to write our own python :O I made a couple of changes to recently watched and we added a couple of new scripts.

Other wise things are chugging along. Still pleanty to do... looking forward.to seeing what you can do with optimizing the actors stuff (caching and such we talked about). Were also going to be ready to mess with some music stuff as well pretty soon ( the bandsintown API and the last.FM API)

Glad to have you back. Big Grin