Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- blacklist - 2010-12-10

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am not designing this to be like every finished skin. This is supposed to be something unique and different and therefore may stray from some of the normal things you are used to in skins.

The main menu has a set number of items, I tried to include all the ones that make sense and can lead off to other areas. As the skin gets closer to completion, I think you'll see that this simplicty leads to some exciting things, rather than limitations.

And of course, we have an awesome skinning community, and if someone wants to MOD the skin after it is released and add some of these features - more power to them!

tikkiew Wrote:I really wish you consider this. Every finished skin has this. Therefore I would think more people find this important. When I said all views of course I mean the views related to this. I would think you know this, but just to make sure. Looking at the movies Mock up this concerns the last 3 views. Of course it is your choice. What you would do with my suggestion.

MAIN MENU. Does it leaves room to add more menus?

- tikkiew - 2010-12-10

O.K I understand it.
Nothing leads to Video - Files, but I would guess this is also your choice.
And why this thread didn't have 5 stars soonerShocked. Anyway now it does.Big Grin

- blacklist - 2010-12-10

tikkiew Wrote:O.K I understand it.
Nothing leads to Video - Files, but I would guess this is also your choice.
And why this thread didn't have 5 stars soonerShocked. Anyway now it does.Big Grin

You can get to video - files from the movie or the tv menus via the context menu.

- blacklist - 2010-12-12

Totally off topic but I need some SQL help.

I'm working on making the random script work with actors. The actorlinkmovie table contains idActor, idMovie, and strRole.

What I'm trying to do is return a result that has:

1. A Count of the number of times an idActor appears in the database
2. Orders results by the count
3. Limits the results to the top 25 or so results.

What I'm working with so far is:

SELECT 'idActor', 'idMovie' FROM 'xbmc.video'.'actorlinkmovie' ORDER BY 'idActor' ASC LIMIT 0,25

Which obviously doesn't quite get me what I want.

- blacklist - 2010-12-12

Ok. I think I have it now.

SELECT idActor, idMovie, strRole FROM xbmc_video.actorlinkmovie GROUP BY idActor HAVING (COUNT (idActor) > 3)

This returns out of 90k fields the top 3000 or so actors in my database. By changing the 3 parameter, i could narrow it down more, and only find actors who appear in 3 or more movies. My "favorites" one could assume.

Nw, to figure out how to modify the RandomItem script to make this work.

Anyone? Big Grin

BETTER!!!

SELECT actorlinkmovie.idActor, actors.strActor, actors.strThumb FROM actorlinkmovie
INNER JOIN actors ON actorlinkmovie.idActor=actors.idActor
GROUP BY actorlinkmovie.idActor
HAVING ( COUNT(actorlinkmovie.idActor) > 4 )

Now, maybe someone can tell me how this table is related to the actor thumbnails? I don't seem to see a file name or path associated with each entry? Apparently we are storing next to no information about actors in the database (no real surprise there) - so to make this work I'm still going to end up scraping info from somewhere. I was hoping there would be an associated imdb or tmdb id, would at least make pulling bio a little easier.

- mstef - 2010-12-12

blacklist, will you use in project any of the frame mask I send you?

- MarkTaunton - 2010-12-12

Why random actors for the script? If you are thinking of something, I personally love the idea of say having the top 10 actors for example.

1) Syvelster Stallone
2) Jason Stratham
3) Sandra Bullock

So it shows how many films they have in the movie list.

Otherwise you might end up with Z listers that you have never heard of

- blacklist - 2010-12-12

It may have been in the other thread that I explain ed my logic in this - but yes i am trying to create exactly what you are saying. The random actors is for the "featured actor " display in one if the mock upS. But as you said, i don't want every extra that ever appeared in any film to show up on this list. If you look at the SQL statement, it actually orders the result by the numbers of movies they appear in, and then only pulls out actors that are in more than 4 movies in the database. In my case it takes a table of more than 90000 entries down to just over 2000 "stars".

I've just a steep learning curve to actually making this work properly with python. Tongue

MarkTaunton Wrote:Why random actors for the script? If you are thinking of something, I personally love the idea of say having the top 10 actors for example.

1) Syvelster Stallone
2) Jason Stratham
3) Sandra Bullock

So it shows how many films they have in the movie list.

Otherwise you might end up with Z listers that you have never heard of

This is the ultimate goal, to combine a call to the actors database with some scraping for bio, etc.

I would also like to find a way to implement actor fan art. I think this wouldn't be a big deal, but might need to get Jonathan or topfs2 involved. Not sure. Alternatively maybe scrape images.google.com for the images at the bottom of the page? Possibly imdb images, or some celebrity fan site? Ideas.

- blacklist - 2010-12-12

mstef Wrote:blacklist, will you use in project any of the frame mask I send you?

Yes sir, I will. I have it added on a few of my local mockups. The problem, as we discussed before is that with many thumbs on the page it starts looking repetitive and "fake" if that's makes sense.

But trust that i have a plan!

- ppic - 2010-12-12

blacklist Wrote:Ok. I think I have it now.

SELECT idActor, idMovie, strRole FROM xbmc_video.actorlinkmovie GROUP BY idActor HAVING (COUNT (idActor) > 3)

This returns out of 90k fields the top 3000 or so actors in my database. By changing the 3 parameter, i could narrow it down more, and only find actors who appear in 3 or more movies. My "favorites" one could assume.

Nw, to figure out how to modify the RandomItem script to make this work.

Anyone? Big Grin

BETTER!!!

SELECT actorlinkmovie.idActor, actors.strActor, actors.strThumb FROM actorlinkmovie
GROUP BY actorlinkmovie.idActor
HAVING ( COUNT(actorlinkmovie.idActor) > 4 )

Now, maybe someone can tell me how this table is related to the actor thumbnails? I don't seem to see a file name or path associated with each entry? Apparently we are storing next to no information about actors in the database (no real surprise there) - so to make this work I'm still going to end up scraping info from somewhere. I was hoping there would be an associated imdb or tmdb id, would at least make pulling bio a little easier.
Code:
SELECT COUNT(actorlinkmovie.idActor), actorlinkmovie.idActor, actors.strActor, actors.strThumb FROM actorlinkmovie
GROUP BY actorlinkmovie.idActor order by  COUNT(actorlinkmovie.idActor) DESC LIMIT 5
will sweet better Wink will work even if not actor appears more than 3 times Wink

- ppic - 2010-12-12

blacklist Wrote:Image

It may have been in the other thread that I explain ed my logic in this - but yes i am trying to create exactly what you are saying. The random actors is for the "featured actor " display in one if the mock upS. But as you said, i don't want every extra that ever appeared in any film to show up on this list. If you look at the SQL statement, it actually orders the result by the numbers of movies they appear in, and then only pulls out actors that are in more than 4 movies in the database. In my case it takes a table of more than 90000 entries down to just over 2000 "stars".

I've just a steep learning curve to actually making this work properly with python. Tongue

This is the ultimate goal, to combine a call to the actors database with some scraping for bio, etc.

I would also like to find a way to implement actor fan art. I think this wouldn't be a big deal, but might need to get Jonathan or topfs2 involved. Not sure. Alternatively maybe scrape images.google.com for the images at the bottom of the page? Possibly imdb images, or some celebrity fan site? Ideas.
i was thinking of that, have you find some goo ressources we can call to grab these informations ?

- MarkTaunton - 2010-12-12

Hopefully you might do away with that top watched movies as if I have to be bluntly honest.

Most people will watch a movie once, and never see it again.

There are only a few movies that I do actually watch more than once, so I know what would be my top movies

Star Wars
Die Hard
Beverly Hills Cop

Your skin though so you make it how you want to, but if you have kids, you don't want My magical pony being on display unless of course it is on a seperate account.

I had the misfortune of looking after someone elses kids, and had to put king kong on 100s of times and keep fast forwarding to as she called it monkey.

One technical matter though is that I do not think anyone has technically pushed XBMC as far as you are trying to push it, so this will be interesting.

Still good luck with it Smile

- blacklist - 2010-12-12

ppic Wrote:i was thinking of that, have you find some goo ressources we can call to grab these informations ?

For the bio information i think themoviedb or imdb are going to be the best bet. I think themoviedb is more friendly to scrape from, they don't tend to mess with the layout of their site like imdb does. Unfortunately, their site Has fairly limited information in comparison.

http://www.themoviedb.org/person/1813. Is Anne Hathaway at themoviedb
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004266/ is Anne at imdb.

Now, unless im wrong (might be) the database already records themoviedb id? If so thatbmakes the scrape pretty trivial.

For the image my first choice would be images.google.com i think:

PHP Code:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&&sa=X&ei=tPkETbzkK8T7lweM8uDiCQ&ved=0CC8QBSgA&q=James+franco&spell=1#q=James+franco 

Returns a pretty good selection of images of James Franco, and it is fairly easy to place image size constraints on the call.

Alternatively, there a a bunch of fan site and celebrity image archives that might be used... But have more likelihood of returning 0 results. (frankly they are geared at female celebrities for the most part....)

For instance, (possibly nsfw)

http://www.skins.be/Anne-Hathaway/
Returns a pretty thorough page devoted to the actress, and
http://www.skins.be/feeds/en/anne-hathaway.xml
Returns an rss feed of wallpapers dedicated to the actor.

now, these certainly wouldn't work for all actors, but then we could possibly fall back to google?

- blacklist - 2010-12-12

I like the top watched movies. Wink I understand your point, though.

MarkTaunton Wrote:Hopefully you might do away with that top watched movies as if I have to be bluntly honest.

Most people will watch a movie once, and never see it again.

There are only a few movies that I do actually watch more than once, so I know what would be my top movies

Star Wars
Die Hard
Beverly Hills Cop

Your skin though so you make it how you want to, but if you have kids, you don't want My magical pony being on display unless of course it is on a seperate account.

I had the misfortune of looking after someone elses kids, and had to put king kong on 100s of times and keep fast forwarding to as she called it monkey.

One technical matter though is that I do not think anyone has technically pushed XBMC as far as you are trying to push it, so this will be interesting.

Still good luck with it Smile

- ppic - 2010-12-12

tmdb seems to be more useable for scrapping yes, for thumb, we already have image link in db (when available)