Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? (/showthread.php?tid=88518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- bass63 - 2011-01-05

Guys, can any of you tell me how can I downgrade to XBMC Dharma RC1 (or even beta1) and CHD drivers r15x on Sam's image? After reading the forums I think that combo works best with AppleTV when playing 720p and 1080p MKV's.

Not very familiar with Linux to figure it out myself. Plus i think all those files are offline now, so can anyone upload it somewhere?

Thank you very much in advance!!!

- Starstream - 2011-01-05

Thanks for the new image Sam.

Don't know how much this affects XBMC as not all USB drives are equal I used Crystalmark to see which was the fastest out of a bunch I had and used that drive. XBMC seems to run very snappy from the faster flash drives.

I also benchmarked two USB3 drives running from USB2 port and the 16GB A-Data USB3 N005 Nobility Series was the faster drive compared to the Supertalent 8GB USB3. The USB3 ADATA also bested the fastest USB2 flash drive I had (an old OCZ Turbo) but only by a fraction for read speed but write speed was still better on the ADATA drive. Unfortunately the ADATA USB3 drive does not show as a removable drive in Windows for some odd reason but as an actual HDD, USB Image tool wont list the drive as a consequence. The USB3 Supertalent over USB2 was pretty much no better than the USB2 OCZ Turbo.

- garyi - 2011-01-05

Wow looks great, sadly the SMB is borked, or at least is on mine. When adding a share it will see my NAS on the first level but times out trying to get in.

- garyi - 2011-01-05

Damn thats frustrating its all looking at me tantalising but I cannot add any media! Doh Wink

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-01-05

Starstream Wrote:Thanks for the new image Sam.

Don't know how much this affects XBMC as not all USB drives are equal I used Crystalmark to see which was the fastest out of a bunch I had and used that drive. XBMC seems to run very snappy from the faster flash drives.

I also benchmarked two USB3 drives running from USB2 port and the 16GB A-Data USB3 N005 Nobility Series was the faster drive compared to the Supertalent 8GB USB3. The USB3 ADATA also bested the fastest USB2 flash drive I had (an old OCZ Turbo) but only by a fraction for read speed but write speed was still better on the ADATA drive. Unfortunately the ADATA USB3 drive does not show as a removable drive in Windows for some odd reason but as an actual HDD, USB Image tool wont list the drive as a consequence. The USB3 Supertalent over USB2 was pretty much no better than the USB2 OCZ Turbo.

Remember, atv is not USB3.

garyi Wrote:Wow looks great, sadly the SMB is borked, or at least is on mine. When adding a share it will see my NAS on the first level but times out trying to get in.

Yeah Linux does that sometimes, it never plays nice with my ADDS setup on WS2K8R2, so I just add SMB shares through sources.xml and then Set Content for scraping.

- Metsadah - 2011-01-05

how long does dd take on a mac, i did the following in a terminal:

Code:
dd if=usb.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=8192

after unmounting and checking if its indeed /dev/disk1 and its still not finished after 30 minutes. I see my usb stick's light burning so there is definately activity.

- defiler - 2011-01-05

Metsadah Wrote:how long does dd take on a mac, i did the following in a terminal:

Code:

after unmounting and checking if its indeed /dev/disk1 and its still not finished after 30 minutes. I see my usb stick's light burning so there is definately activity.

Well, assume 8MB/sec for your flash drive, and a 4GB image, I'd expect it to be done in 10 mins. Try running the following (don't know if it's installed, but worth a shot):

Code:
iostat -p -k 3

That'll show activity in kB/sec on each partition, updating every 3 seconds. As I say, it might not be installed. If it is, though, it'll help you out.

- garyi - 2011-01-05

"Yeah Linux does that sometimes, it never plays nice with my ADDS setup on WS2K8R2, so I just add SMB shares through sources.xml and then Set Content for scraping."

UNderstanding that sam is busy would someone explain to me how to do that? Importantly how to change anything on the stick, for instance I can log into via shh on cyberduck but don't have permissions to change, copy etc once in, all I can do is look at files.

I would appreciate a heads up on this (not you sam, back to cramming!)

Metsadah Wrote:how long does dd take on a mac, i did the following in a terminal:

Code:

sudo gunzip -c usb.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb on the original archive.

garyi Wrote:"Yeah Linux does that sometimes, it never plays nice with my ADDS setup on WS2K8R2, so I just add SMB shares through sources.xml and then Set Content for scraping."

UNderstanding that sam is busy would someone explain to me how to do that? Importantly how to change anything on the stick, for instance I can log into via shh on cyberduck but don't have permissions to change, copy etc once in, all I can do is look at files.

I would appreciate a heads up on this (not you sam, back to cramming!)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adding_Media_Sources#Through_Sources.xml

E.g.

Code:
<source>
      <name>SMB</name>
      <path pathversion="1">smb://DOMAIN;username:pwd@MyWindowsServer/movies/</path>
      <lockmode>1</lockmode>
      <lockcode>12345678</lockcode>
      <badpwdcount>0</badpwdcount>
    </source>

could be put under Videos/Music etc, then you just press Set Content after holding Menu in aTV and choose type of content.

You can't SCP things like sources.xml because it is owned by root (was installed by rc.local). You have to use putty (command line ssh), and use sudo nano /root/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml

Outta here

- garyi - 2011-01-05

Could I not just do a clean install of XBMC on my laptop, point to the shares I want then blag the stuff out of the sources file for the ATV. Or is that too simple. I don't fancy writing all that code.

According to the interweb OSX has built in shh. So I will work from there.

It's not code. It really is simple, but yeah you can do that, seems unnecessary though. ssh is built into osx, just run ssh from terminal

- garyi - 2011-01-05

Simple to you sam. Wink

- pumkinut - 2011-01-05

I usually edit my sources.xml by hand, it's just way faster than going through the GUI. And, I always go with the IP of the server rather than names, it's just less likely to break.

<path pathversion="1">smb://user:[email protected]/path/to/media</path>

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of my media server. Even though it's an Ubuntu box hosting the shares as SMB shares, I find giving it the IP just works.

- garyi - 2011-01-05

poking around with cyberduck the XBMC folder would appear to be usr/share/xbmc ?

Thing is I added a random local source just to get a source file going but its not showing up, so I cannot adjust it.

- garyi - 2011-01-05

OK worked out its where sam said, but my passwords are not good enough, I tried atv, root and xbmc