Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? (/showthread.php?tid=88518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- pmcd - 2010-12-28

I want to resize the image. The flash drive is /dev/sdb. The Linux partition is sdb4. The swap is sdb3. If I run the command "sudo resize2fs -f /dev/sdb4" I get the error

resize2fs 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
open: No such file or directory while opening /dev/sdb4

Here's the partition

/dev/sdb1 1 1 19+ ee EFI GPT
/dev/sdb2 1 5 34816 af Unknown
/dev/sdb3 5 70 524288 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb4 * 70 483 3319768+ 83 Linux

Perhaps it's because the 4th partition was the boot one that it failed?

philip

Re Video: Is it easier on the gpu to keep the screen at 1024p even though I only ever run, at most, 720p ?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-12-28

pmcd Wrote:I want to resize the image. The flash drive is /dev/sdb. The Linux partition is sdb4. The swap is sdb3. If I run the command "sudo resize2fs -f /dev/sdb4" I get the error

resize2fs 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
open: No such file or directory while opening /dev/sdb4

Here's the partition

/dev/sdb1 1 1 19+ ee EFI GPT
/dev/sdb2 1 5 34816 af Unknown
/dev/sdb3 5 70 524288 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb4 * 70 483 3319768+ 83 Linux

Perhaps it's because the 4th partition was the boot one that it failed?

philip

Re Video: Is it easier on the gpu to keep the screen at 1024p even though I only ever run, at most, 720p ?

There are only 3 partitions on my image. Atleast there should be. These should be: Recovery, Swap, Linux. You want to resize dev/sdb3 - your root partition. Is the information above extracted from a parted with the atvrecv flag? If you don't have patched parted the results may be skewed.

Running at 1080p when playing 720p only content is fine. The system will upscale your 720p content.

davilla Wrote:it's an ubuntu udev rule that sets that up.

Forget using network-manager. I just realised. Deleting the contents of /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules will let Ubuntu regenerate the network card's MAC and it will gain it's rightful place as eth0. If someone with networking could test this that would be very good. Edit /etc/network/interfaces and change eth1 references back to eth0; then delete the card already in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

Thanks for the pointer Scott.

- tuckbodi - 2010-12-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:then delete the card already in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

Thanks for the pointer Scott.

I'm game...but which one? Or both?

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8139 (8139too)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:24:36:ee:02:fb", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:17:f2:f7:f7:73", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

Remove both. Ubuntu will regenerate yours on reboot to eth0, or just delete the eth0 one and rename eth1 to eth0. It doesn't really matter.

Just make sure you have edited /etc/network/interfaces and change eth1 back to eth0

Thanks for giving it a whir-round

- tuckbodi - 2010-12-28

Looks like it worked like a champ. Checked for updates and then went right into XBMC.

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:17:f2:f7:f7:73", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

and

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Excellent. I thought it was a mistake before to edit eth0 to eth1. We were chasing the problem but not the cause. I will incorporate this into a new image shortly, as well as doing the Linux installer for internal HDD installs. Issue closed on crystalhd-for-atv issues trac http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-atv/issues/detail?id=1

Thanks @dnguy22 @tuckbodi for testing;

- dnguy22 - 2010-12-28

So should i keep the network-manager or switch to this method ? BTW, where do i find FAQ for the component video ?

Thanks
Danh

dnguy22 Wrote:So should i keep the network-manager or switch to this method ? BTW, where do i find FAQ for the component video ?

Thanks
Danh

You can keep the network-manager package, but it is unnecessary bloat I am afraid. You probably best restore to the new image when it's out, and remain standard with everyone else, trying to switch could cause network-manager to drop your network connection during uninstall and mess you up.

Guides for component and s-video are found on atv-bootloader wiki: http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay

- dnguy22 - 2010-12-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:You can keep the network-manager package, but it is unnecessary bloat I am afraid. You probably best restore to the new image when it's out, and remain standard with everyone else, trying to switch could cause network-manager to drop your network connection during uninstall and mess you up.

Guides for component and s-video are found on atv-bootloader wiki: http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay

Cool, I will do that when you release the final version and thanks for answering my questions.

No problem. Thanks again for being a guinea pig.

- pmcd - 2010-12-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:There are only 3 partitions on my image. Atleast there should be. These should be: Recovery, Swap, Linux. You want to resize dev/sdb3 - your root partition. Is the information above extracted from a parted with the atvrecv flag? If you don't have patched parted the results may be skewed.

Running at 1080p when playing 720p only content is fine. The system will upscale your 720p content.

I just took a 16 gig flash, partitioned it on my mac so there was one partition (and the gpt first piece). I then used dd if=() of=flash drive bs=4096 . I then booted the ATV with that flash drive and ssh'd into it. I then ran sudo fdsk -l and it gave me that list. So I only used commands on your image to give the list. Recovery is sdb2, Swap is sdb3 and Linux is sdb4 in the list I got. I assume sdb4 (your sdb3) is what I want to resize and that is the one that won't resize.

philip

pmcd Wrote:I just took a 16 gig flash, partitioned it on my mac so there was one partition (and the gpt first piece). I then used dd if=() of=flash drive bs=4096 . I then booted the ATV with that flash drive and ssh'd into it. I then ran sudo fdsk -l and it gave me that list. So I only used commands on your image to give the list. Recovery is sdb2, Swap is sdb3 and Linux is sdb4 in the list I got. I assume sdb4 (your sdb3) is what I want to resize and that is the one that won't resize.

philip

I'm still not following as to why you have an extra partition.

- pmcd - 2010-12-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:I'm still not following as to why you have an extra partition.

That is the way the Mac handles disks. For my boot disk on my Mac I only have 1 partition, but if I run fdisk -l I will get something like

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Media 499.8 GB disk0s2

So there is that extra piece marked 1 ( EFI). 0 is like the mbr for dos. So I am always going to have an extra piece if I format using the Mac.

philip

But why partition? Just restore with dd and you don't need to partition.