Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Generic HID Remote Driver for XBMC (Drivers for XBMC on Linux and XBMC Live) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Generic HID Remote Driver for XBMC (Drivers for XBMC on Linux and XBMC Live) (/showthread.php?tid=88560)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- Grez - 2011-07-18

MakGreg Wrote:Hello,

Could you try the following and provide us with this command output:

Code:
$ sudo insmod `modinfo uinput | grep filename | cut -d: -f2`
$ grep -i uinput /boot/config-`uname -r`

Greg.

Hi,

Code:
$ sudo insmod `modinfo uinput | grep filename | cut -d: -f2`
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module uinput
Usage: insmod filename [args]

$ grep -i uinput /boot/config-`uname -r`
CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT=y

thanks!

- MakGreg - 2011-07-18

Hello,

CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT=y

That means uinput has not been compiled as a module on your platform, it is directly included in the kernel.

If it was compiled as a module you should have seen that:

CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT=m

So it seems that the problem is not uinput related... I will try to help you if it is possible (I need time and time is missing Smile).

See you.
Greg.

- Grez - 2011-07-18

I don't quite believe this... I did a dist-upgrade to get the newest kernel (2.6.38-10-generic) and now it's working again.

Well sort of. The newest version of the tarball downloaded from here still doesn't work (timestamp 2011-04-03 14:02), tried another make clean and make but still no joy.

However I randomly tried an older version again, not the very first version but the one I had working before upgrading from maverick to natty (tarball timestamp 2011-01-28 09:39), and that now works again, without even recompiling!!

I'm baffled but happy. Thanks Greg, you pointed me down the kernel road and that seems to be what fixed it, somehow!

- MakGreg - 2011-07-18

FYI, I did some quick tests with this tarball and a mouse (I have no remote control here):

$ wget -c http://www.coldsource.net/hid_mapper.tar.gz

Timestamped 2011-02-24 10:23 and I faced no problem on my Ubuntu 11.04... After checking your update I realized that my kernel is the 2.6.38-10-generic one, this is maybe the reason why I didn't faced any problem.

Well, that's fine as your problem is fixed Wink
Greg.

- Grez - 2011-07-18

hmm the ones I have are the hid_mapper_beta.tar.gz , the only hid_mapper.tar.gz I have is the very first one I downloaded which did find the devices ok but not all buttons worked properly. I didn't realise that had ever been updated since that original version.

Shame there are no version numbers to know which is which!

- coldsource - 2011-07-19

Grez Wrote:Shame there are no version numbers to know which is which!

It's my fault I should have set version numbers on archives. I must say I didn't thought I would release more than 1 version.

I'll try to make a Wiki page somewhere to put a summary of all that has been said here.

MakGreg : I don't know if it could be included in XBMC, but it could be a good thing as many remotes are now HID. The only thing that is missing is a graphical interface or an XBMC plugin to learn the commands.

- MakGreg - 2011-07-21

Hello Coldsource,

No problem for the version, you released a useful tool freely on you spare time to help some people who need it, we can't blame you! It seems Grez told that as a constructive remark not as negative one Smile

Of course it could be great to configure your HID mapper with a plugin or any GUI but you know that it takes time to release this kind of tool, If I was a coder I really would like have to... But I'm not Wink

Great idea for the Wiki page, If you know where to put it I can help for the content.

Greg.

- Snaek - 2011-08-16

Hai,

I'm facing a rather weird problem with my No-Name MCE-Remote...
it all worked well until I had to reboot my machine...
I'm using XBMC-Live (latest release).

The Problem is, that the remote now seems to send totally different hexcodes than before.
for example:
Code:
before reboot:
a001004f:KEY_RIGHT

after reboot:
0001004f:KEY_RIGHT

after some waiting:
a005000010:KEY_RIGHT

Anybody knows why?

Thanks

PS: the hexcodes NOT starting with a0 seem to work perfectly out-of-the-box with XBMC, no mapper needed, tho it jumps every now and then between various codes...
currently I've got only for the RIGHT key:
Code:
a001004f:KEY_RIGHT
a005000010:KEY_RIGHT
a005002a11:KEY_RIGHT
a005002a12:KEY_RIGHT
a005002a23:KEY_RIGHT
0001004f:KEY_RIGHT

I could not yet see any pattern in the time between the changes...

- D.R.e.W - 2011-08-17

Hello All,
I'm new to this thread ( and linux and XBMC Live) and seem to be missing something.
I've installed the latest version of Live on a ASUS AT310NT-I Deluxe board that came with the same remote pictured in the first post. I down loaded the .tar.gz and uncompressed it. It created a directory called "hid_mapper_beta" then start following the directions & get:

xbmc@XBMCLive:~/hid_mapper_beta$ make clean
rm -f *.o
rm -f hid_mapper
xbmc@XBMCLive:~/hid_mapper_beta$ make
g++ -c -Iinclude main.cpp
make: g++: Command not found
make: *** [main.o] Error 127

Is the g++ error because I'm running Live or am I missing a step that was "implied" in the directions?

Thanx in Advance, DReW
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-29-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 11 19:00:09 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

- MrFX - 2011-08-18

Hi,

you have to install some developer tools.

Best regards,
MrFX

Stuck after quitting XBMC - thevillain9 - 2011-09-06

I want to make some changes to my key mapping file, but after exiting xbmc, I see the following lines open in the terminal:

Found HID Device
Opened HID interface on /dev/hidraw2
Opened HID interface on /dev/hidraw3
Generic USB mapper driver setup

I added the loading of the map file in my /etc/rc.local/ and now I can't seem to get into the terminal prompt. Any ideas? Thanks.

- UsagiYojimbo - 2011-09-22

thevillain9 Wrote:I added the loading of the map file in my /etc/rc.local/ and now I can't seem to get into the terminal prompt. Any ideas? Thanks.

Did you place a space and an ampersand (&) at the end of the command? Nerd
EG: /path/hidmapper -options ... &

- leorik - 2011-10-04

Has anyone got this to work in 11.04 with Jetway IR Remote? I'm getting the same error as everyone else. It lists the device, but won't work from there.

I see somebody posted the jetway codes from before. Those don't work in the xbmc keymap file by chance, do they?

- rapalax - 2011-10-07

I was able to get hid_mapper to work on 11.04 on my jetway by running as root explicitly. Sudoing didn't work for some reason.

Now i just need to fine a nice map.

- Bradburts - 2011-10-13

Hi,
Thanks for writting this great utility. Have been pullin my hair out trying to get all buttons on http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001M56DI0 working.
The remote works okish on Ubuntu Server 11.04 but the volume up does not seem to translate to a keycode.
I can see IR codes using cat /dev/input/event4 | hexdump though.

Being a linux newbie, is this utility going to work on Ubuntu Server?
I aim to use your utility to fix the missing Volume Up and other 'missing' media buttons so that I can control a headless music player.
I have gnome-core installed for VNC Server but don't usually start the server and will eventually drop that part of my install.

I can see problems with my setup & this guide, I don't have /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ for example & would really like to know how far I this will run before I hit another dead end.