Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Aeon Nox 2.0 (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon Nox: Silvo (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Aeon Nox 2.0 (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=89151)

- BigNoid - 2011-05-31

drivesoslow Wrote:http://pastebin.com/HGi7AVsK

Thanks

This is in response to my black screen issue

This looks a lot like my logs. If I stop and start xbmc-live I get either black screen or freezes. I then have to restart the service a couple of times to get it up and running. For me the cause is the next aired script. You can either delete the script or delete the line in startup.xml in 720p folder of skin.aeon.nox that calls the script on startup. Reason it only happens in Nox is because there are few skins that call the script on startup. If I do a reboot or a fresh compile, I don't have the issue btw, only when stopping and starting xbmc-live manually. This will hopefully get sorted when the script is ready for eden.

- drivesoslow - 2011-06-01

Big_Noid Wrote:This looks a lot like my logs. If I stop and start xbmc-live I get either black screen or freezes. I then have to restart the service a couple of times to get it up and running. For me the cause is the next aired script. You can either delete the script or delete the line in startup.xml in 720p folder of skin.aeon.nox that calls the script on startup. Reason it only happens in Nox is because there are few skins that call the script on startup. If I do a reboot or a fresh compile, I don't have the issue btw, only when stopping and starting xbmc-live manually. This will hopefully get sorted when the script is ready for eden.

I went ahead and deleted the next aired script since I don't use it.

There are a couple of other issues/suggestions:

#1 I cannot turn the studio logos off, or I should say I turn them off but they stay.
#2 It would be nice to be able to turn off the 'watched' check marks like you can in Aeon65

- AeonNoxFan - 2011-06-01

Edit June 2nd, 2011: Turns out that the extreme darkness is due to an Intel graphics output bug under Linux, causing it to output the desktop as 0-255 instead of 16-235, leading to crushed blacks and overly bright whites, which together with an already dark skin makes the graphics incredibly dark; if this affects you, see the discussion on page 163 for details (in particular this post).

Hi Big Noid!

Thank you *so* much for creating this beautiful and CPU effective and well-coded version of Aeon! Check my username, you can call me a fan. Rofl

I have some feedback, with point 3 being *very* serious:

1) When you install the skin for the first time (via the XBMC.org repository on Dharma 10.1), you can't see any Home menu entries at all, but you do see their backgrounds and can navigate. The solution is to either enter Settings again and then back to Home, or to restart XBMC. Maybe this is a bug that can be fixed? I can imagine newbies becoming totally lost and unable to shut down/restart XBMC. Luckily I've used XBMC for like 5 years and could find the Settings menu again, and then went back to Home to fix it.

2) Are you aware of this bugfix? http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11585 I would guess so, since I am able to enter Home menu submenus with the down arrow.

3) The Aeon65 skin uses a much brighter background for overlay panels, such as the Settings menu and information overlays. Your skin uses extremely dark backgrounds instead, and as a result, things like the toggle boxes for settings become near invisible, literally. Please consider looking at Aeon65 and brightening your transparent backgrounds a bit. The Aeon65 skin's panels look beautiful and are easy to view. Yours, sad to say it, are waaaaay too dark, no matter if viewed on three different, calibrated computer LCD monitors, or on a projector with even darker blacks. It really needs some brightening up and Aeon65 is a great example to follow. I had a shock when I entered the "Videos" -> "Add source" menu on your skin. It's almost pitch black on my projector, and super dark on my computer monitor. Does your monitor have calibrated brightness? It almost seems like the skin was designed on a monitor with the brightness turned way up, causing you to darken panels to compensate on your screen, which makes them nearly black elsewhere. I would love it if you copied the Aeon65 style. It looks beautiful and is pretty much the perfect brightness to be well visible on any display. With your current dark backgrounds, I can't even see stuff like inactive checkboxes, since they just meld together with the background, making it unobvious that there is a checkbox there.

4) Finally, please, PLEASE rename your "System" menu back to its proper name of "Settings". Other areas of XBMC (including other guides) all refer to it by its proper name of Settings (such as the XBMC "start screen" setting, which you can set to "Settings")... It is also ugly/weird to go "System > System > Input devices" rather than "Settings > System > Input devices", for example. The word "Settings" is the proper word here, both for reasons of XBMC consistency (since all other options and GUIDES refer to the menu as its real name of "Settings"), and also logically since "System" is a word that relates to system hardware, whereas "Settings" is far more logical (skin settings, localization settings, etc etc...). Seeing this fixed in the XBMC.org Dharma repository would make my day. You know, if you go into the Aeon Nox Skin settings and toggle "Enable breadcrumbs" to get the navigation bar at the top, and enter what you call "System", it will say "Settings" in the top left. Please just fix this, it's a simple thing but very annoying. :p
Edit: Oh, even Confluence had this problem. I see now where you've inherited it from. Well, please change it to "Settings" so that it is in line with all the options in XBMC. Two wrongs don't make a right, and it *IS* internally known as "Settings" in XBMC, that *IS* the proper name. ;-) Heck, switch to the Confluence skin, enter its "System" menu, and you will see "Settings" in the top left. I will report this to Confluence too.
Edit2: Bug report submitted to Confluence. That report has all the details and reasons why it should be fixed. Please fix yours independently of Confluence, there's no need to wait for that skin to fix the bug first. Wink
Edit3: Got a good explanation from Jezz_X in the thread above. He said the XBMC team has actually had a big discussion about this point a while ago. I've asked him for more details. It's obviously a point of discussion and confusion, and I was glad to see that the XBMC team itself has had a big decision about System vs Settings. I'm in the "Settings" camp, since it makes more sense (all kinds of Settings are housed in that menu, not just System stuff). But another point to be made would be that the submenu for it (by pressing Down) lets you enter the file manager, which would be seen as a System feature. Hrm. You can see why the XBMC team wasn't able to reach a conclusion.

Thank you and best wishes,
Aeon Nox Fan Laugh

- damned - 2011-06-01

can anyone help me install this skin? I just started using XBMC this week, so I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, I know.

I've downloaded the GIT file located in the first post, SSH it over to my ATV2, install from Zip file, it installs - but then I get the error message "dependencies not met".

What step am I missing?

@damned:
There is rarely any good reason to be on the bleeding edge unless you are a tester. You will have to put up with bugs, crashes, and incompatibilities with the majority of the vast amount of plugins out there. Things are much easier if you go with the latest Stable release.

* Get XBMC 10.1 Dharma (Stable).

* In the XBMC menu system, navigate to System > Add-ons > Get Add-ons > XBMC.org Add-ons > Skin.

* You will be shown a list of available skins. Select "Aeon Nox", and then choose "Install".

* Wait a little while, then select "Yes" when it asks you if you want to switch the skin.

* Press Escape 2 times or so to get back out to the Home menu. You might find that you see no text on any of the menu entries. Press left/right to navigate until you see a background depicting a Greenish laptop keyboard (looks like a Macbook Pro), and press Enter once and it will quit XBMC.

* Now just start up XBMC and everything will be rendering as it should. Congrats on choosing the most beautiful skin out there!

- damned - 2011-06-01

@AeonNoxFan - thanks for the steps, I had some issues setting up my ATV2 with Dharma which was why I went over to the nightlies. I can say that after I made the switch, it's been running problem free, so I'm willing to stay with the nightlies until I hit some major issues that force me back to Dharma and trying to resolve my older issues. Although I believe I read that the nightlies is close to being the next stable (called Eden right)? So if possible, I'd just like to see if I can get this skin installed and try it out. I've managed to get MQ2 installed without a glitch, but it is slower than Confluence, so I've switched back.

I can say this though, really blown away at how good XBMC is after 1 week.

@Damned:
Oh I see. Yeah that's one of the reasons to use the development branch. The thing to be aware of, though, is that the nightlies are literally the development branch as-is, and is full of half-implemented features and TODO/FIXMEs. Yeah, Eden is nearing a good state (pre-release state), but it's still not to be considered stable by any stretch. I'd have thought 10.1 works on the AppleTV?

As for the "missing dependency" error, I'm not sure what that is. Pre-Eden has introduced changes to skinning and addons, so be sure you downloaded the pre-eden branch of Aeon Nox and not the regular one (see post #1 for the pre-Eden repository).

- BigNoid - 2011-06-01

drivesoslow Wrote:I went ahead and deleted the next aired script since I don't use it.

There are a couple of other issues/suggestions:

#1 I cannot turn the studio logos off, or I should say I turn them off but they stay.
#2 It would be nice to be able to turn off the 'watched' check marks like you can in Aeon65
They should be disabled, expect for the infowall and panel view. TV Logo's can't be disabled yet.
Watched flags can be turned off in the media menu.
AeonNoxFan Wrote:....
Thx, cool nick Big Grin
1: I've never noticed this. I will do a fresh install and see if i can reproduce it.
2: Yes, this is no issue on dharma and in eden-pre it's fixed.
3: I use the panels from the theme Black from Aeon65, so they should (and do on my system) look exactly the same as in Aeon65. Can you post a screenshot of the panels you mean from Aeon65? (also I'm 100% sure that on a properly calibrated tv/monitor nothing is unreadable in the skin, do you see the difference between the top/bottom and middle parts of the schowcase panel for instance?)
4: You absolutely have a valid point and it makes more sense to name it settings, however I have named everything to how it's named in Confluence so all guides also apply to my skin and to make the transition between the two to as easy as possible. If Confluence changes it, i will also change it, not before.

damned Wrote:can anyone help me install this skin? I just started using XBMC this week, so I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, I know.

I've downloaded the GIT file located in the first post, SSH it over to my ATV2, install from Zip file, it installs - but then I get the error message "dependencies not met".

What step am I missing?
You are doing it correctly. The problem is my skin depends on add-ons that are not yet in the eden-pre repo. manually install these addons to make it work:
randomitems:
http://transparency-xbmc.googlecode.com/files/script.randomitems.zip
tv next aired (can cause troubles on nightlies):
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma/script.tv.show.next.aired/script.tv.show.next.aired-2.1.2.zip
script favorites:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma/script.favourites/script.favourites-1.0.6.zip
logo downloader:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma/script.logo-downloader/script.logo-downloader-2.3.0.zip

- Vinther - 2011-06-01

Hey Big_Noid

Thx for a great skin. Is it possible to add your own custom TV Channels logos/Producer logos (like abc, Paramount, Fox etc.)? The reason why I'm asking is the my national tv logos aren't include in where ever the plugin fetches the logos from but I have my own. I'd looked through the addon folder but couldn't find the place to put them.

- zuignapje - 2011-06-01

Is it possible to show the weather (from weather plus) directly in the home menu? Or is this only possible with other aeon releases? Because i have looked for almost an hour for this setting, but havent found it yet :p

- BigNoid - 2011-06-01

Vinther Wrote:Hey Big_Noid

Thx for a great skin. Is it possible to add your own custom TV Channels logos/Producer logos (like abc, Paramount, Fox etc.)? The reason why I'm asking is the my national tv logos aren't include in where ever the plugin fetches the logos from but I have my own. I'd looked through the addon folder but couldn't find the place to put them.
Are you talking about pseudotv?
zuignapje Wrote:Is it possible to show the weather (from weather plus) directly in the home menu? Or is this only possible with other aeon releases? Because i have looked for almost an hour for this setting, but havent found it yet :p
it's not possible as of yet. I am looking for a way to add it without slowing down the menu navigation.

- damned - 2011-06-01

Big_Noid Wrote:You are doing it correctly. The problem is my skin depends on add-ons that are not yet in the eden-pre repo. manually install these addons to make it work:
randomitems:
http://transparency-xbmc.googlecode.com/files/script.randomitems.zip
tv next aired (can cause troubles on nightlies):
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma/script.tv.show.next.aired/script.tv.show.next.aired-2.1.2.zip
script favorites:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma/script.favourites/script.favourites-1.0.6.zip
logo downloader:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma/script.logo-downloader/script.logo-downloader-2.3.0.zip

I appreciate all the work you're doing and taking the time to help me out. Is there a specific order to the installation? I DL'ed all the zip files and installed, but the only one that became "enabled" (at least as far as actually getting a message) was "tv next aired". Otherwise the others gave me no message when installed and I'm still getting the "dependencies not met" issue when I install this version of your skin. I'll try and reinstall a new nightly and see if that changes anything.

- BigNoid - 2011-06-01

damned Wrote:I appreciate all the work you're doing and taking the time to help me out. Is there a specific order to the installation? I DL'ed all the zip files and installed, but the only one that became "enabled" (at least as far as actually getting a message) was "tv next aired". Otherwise the others gave me no message when installed and I'm still getting the "dependencies not met" issue when I install this version of your skin. I'll try and reinstall a new nightly and see if that changes anything.

It's normal you don't see anything, these scripts have no user interface, except for next aired. If it still gives the message I will need a debug log to see what's wrong.

- meridius - 2011-06-01

Big_Noid Wrote:I can add an option for logo's on/off. The clearart is only used in fullscreen video.

Thanks if u don't mind

So clear art is fullscreen tv show playback and when u hit the I button for the info that the clear art shows up

Edit June 2nd, 2011: Turns out that the extreme darkness is due to an Intel graphics output bug under Linux, causing it to output the desktop as 0-255 instead of 16-235, leading to crushed blacks and overly bright whites, which together with an already dark skin makes the graphics incredibly dark; if this affects you, see the discussion on page 163 for details (in particular this post).

Big_Noid Wrote:Thx, cool nick Big Grin
1: I've never noticed this. I will do a fresh install and see if i can reproduce it.
2: Yes, this is no issue on dharma and in eden-pre it's fixed.
3: I use the panels from the theme Black from Aeon65, so they should (and do on my system) look exactly the same as in Aeon65. Can you post a screenshot of the panels you mean from Aeon65? (also I'm 100% sure that on a properly calibrated tv/monitor nothing is unreadable in the skin, do you see the difference between the top/bottom and middle parts of the schowcase panel for instance?)
4: You absolutely have a valid point and it makes more sense to name it settings, however I have named everything to how it's named in Confluence so all guides also apply to my skin and to make the transition between the two to as easy as possible. If Confluence changes it, i will also change it, not before.

Hehe, the nick is all thanks to how happy I am to see that you've taken Aeon, cleaned it up, and are maintaining it. You're doing a superb job and it's the most beautiful skin out there.

1. The menu issue happens directly after installation from the built-in repository, in Dharma 10.1. I've seen it on two different computers. Both running the 64 bit version of Linux Mint 11 (based on Ubuntu 11). You install the skin, hit "Yes" to switch to it, and then go to the Home menu and all the text labels will be invisible.

2. Ahh good to hear! Smile

3. Oh you use them from the "Black" variation of Aeon65? Well, can you please bundle the Light version as well, and make that a selectable option under System > Appearance > Skin > Theme? I never even noticed that Aeon65 had a black variation. It's pretty terrible. Just look at this: http://imgur.com/a/UXMNE (Nox Black at the top, Aeon65 Default at the bottom). The checkboxes in the "Black" variation blend into the background quite well on my calibrated computer monitors (I'm a designer), and the projector in turn has crushed blacks so they are absolutely *invisible* on the projector. I really need the lighter background, and I am sure other users do too. It's bad enough looking at black checkboxes on a black background on a computer, but with a projector with crushed blacks you can just forget about seeing the checkboxes. The options look like regular text lines without a checkbox. Please bundle the lighter "Default" backgrounds from Aeon65 and make it switchable under Theme. Should be quite easy?

4. Yeah. If you see the thread I linked to, it turned out Jezz_X was on IRC and took part in a big discussion about the System vs Settings subject with the whole XBMC team. The menu item used to be called "Settings" in the past. I think Confluence was the thing that changed it. I can see your point about wanting to stay with whatever Confluence uses since it's the default skin and I respect that.

Signing off,
Aeon Nox Fan Laugh